leftfoot

Wing Load too high?

Do I need to get a bigger canopy? I have about 170 total jumps and I am currently jumping a safire2 159 loaded @ 1.29 I got this canopy around jump number 75, so I have put about a hundred jumps on it. Up until now I just flew it to the ground and the strait in approach was fast and fun. Now I am getting serious about the whole canopy piloting thing and I'm wondering if my wing load is too high for my experience level. I am doing a lot of research and have scheduled myself for a canopy control class. Is this canopy too small to safely learn all the aspects canopy piloting or do I just have room for growth?

Only you can answer that grasshoper.......... :P

Answers you will get here:
Yes get a bigger one.
Ask your instructors.
Get coaching.
Practice up high.
All of the above.

Did I cover everything? Im sure I missed something :D:D:D
At your jump numbers I was at 1.6wl so I dont think Im the greatest example to follow. But if I were you I would take the coaching and then decide how you feel. You have already jumped it for a number of jumps, going bigger will definatley feel strange. But in the end its all about how safe and confident you feel.

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Yes get a bigger one.
Ask your instructors.
Get coaching.
Practice up high.
All of the above.

Did I cover everything? Im sure I missed something

you missed these...

Its all about the set up
no work with what you've got
go to brian germain
go to flight 1
go to scott miller
scott miller doesnt do it any more
jeffro coaches
find a local mentor
spend time working your pattern
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Yes get a bigger one.
Ask your instructors.
Get coaching.
Practice up high.
All of the above.

Did I cover everything? Im sure I missed something

you missed these...

Its all about the set up
no work with what you've got
go to brian germain
go to flight 1
go to scott miller
scott miller doesnt do it any more
jeffro coaches
find a local mentor
spend time working your pattern

my work is done here
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

At 75 jumps, you chose a very aggressive wingloading for your experience level. Now that you have survived 100 jumps with it, it would be unreasonable to expect you to upsize. I'd say continue on. Just dont get a smaller canopy for a while, use and try to stick with the ".1 for each 100 jumps" general rule. To get good coaching is probably the best thing you can do for yourself right now and it includes and covers pretty much all of the other suggestions given already.

I recently took Luigi Cani's course and am flying a Sabre2 loaded at about 1.3 with 75 jumps.

He said nothing about the WL and had me start on double front riser approaches.

Eeveryone's different, but I guess my experience means that not every canopy instructor would say that such a combination of jump #s and WL is always wrong.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Personally, I think you'll be fine. Providing you are confident that you can always land where you want on a straight-in, take cross-wind and even down-wind landings if you need to on your current canopy, you shouldn't need to upsize.

Just bear in mind though that if you start on the road towards high performance landings, you'll be on a less forgiving wing. That said, a 1.3 w/l isn't out of the way for starting that kind of stuff. Do get a brief before doing anything below 1,000 ft though!
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

am flying a Sabre2 loaded at about 1.3 with 75 jumps.

Wow ....................:S[:/]:|:( Some people dont listen/learn. Just cuase he did not say anything/ have the balls does not mean it is OK. You need to slow down sky god!!:S:S!!!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Wow ....................:S[:/]:|:( Some people dont listen/learn. Just cuase he did not say anything/ have the balls does not mean it is OK. You need to slow down sky god!!:S:S!!!

Sure, Sky God...

I know at least one country where that is quite common. Elevation is usually

He saw me fly - you have not. Just cause you say it's not OK doesn't mean that's true either.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

He saw me fly - you have not. Just cause you say it's not OK doesn't mean that's true either.

I have found that the wing loadings people preach about on the internet are almost always different to the realities of what people are jumping in the real world.

I've just ordered a 190 Pilot which will means I'll be loading at 1.3 with the same jump numbers too. It's still a large canopy so it wont respond like a little canopy loaded at 1.3, I intend to have it for a loooooong time and learn everything there is to know about piloting it. I don't want to step beyond that for quite a while though, at least a few hundred jumps.

I love those responses: I just got this and that size canopy its going to last me looong time :)
My story: I bought 170 sabre it lasted me a "loong time" then CF2 139 and that one lasted me a "loong time" because its sooo fast and I don't need to downsize and then I got CF2 119... and If I wasn't broke this would have been gonne also but thanks God I am and can stay on it longer and learn more :) anyway good day to everyone! Dude do whatever you want don't kill anyone.

I make no judgements ever, but wow. 73 jumps.

I have 500 and I jump a Katana 120 at 1.55.

At 73 jumps I had a sabre 170 and i thought it was hot at the time.

I make no judgements ever, but wow. 500 jumps.

I had 900 jumps when I started jumping a Katana 120.

At 110 jumps I had a Spectre 170 and it gave me goose bumps.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I make no judgements ever, but wow. 73 jumps.

I have 500 and I jump a Katana 120 at 1.55.

At 73 jumps I had a sabre 170 and i thought it was hot at the time.

I make no judgements ever, but wow. 500 jumps.

I had 900 jumps when I started jumping a Katana 120.

At 110 jumps I had a Spectre 170 and it gave me goose bumps.

yeah, wow... i have close to 2900 jumps and i am only now THINKING of trying a Katana 120... :ph34r:

OP's very aggressive canopy choice is pretty clear to everyone here, even himself. What can he do to avoid beefing it that hasn't been mentioned yet?

2900 blahblah what do you know in 8 years and that many jumps? What do any of us know? We're all stupid. I just got back from Iraq 30 days ago and upsized though I feel I could do anything in the world since people aren't trying to shoot or blow me up 24/7 anymore. But we're both stupid.... or some b/s like that. I hope you're doing well Frost.
Matt

!.3 with 200 jumps is fine wingload. But you should look back on you last 100 jumps, and ask you self how well it worked out.
If you had any kind of problem landing Safire2, you should maybe thing of upsize. Or just to get you self together, and start acting like it your first ride on that canopy.

But for thats questions you have instructors, ask them. They see how you fly and land. Course can also help you.
Blue skys and soft landings to all!