everymansaved

Do you remove your slider every jump?

So I just ordered an RDS for my Xaos, and I have a question for people using RDS. Do you remove your slider on every jump? I'm talking about the slider only here, the full RDS (p/c and bag) will only be used for training/comp purposes, but I'd like to take advantage of the removeable slider all the time, but I'm worried about the time it will take to re-attach it after the jump, as I do mainly work jumps (Tandem Vid & IAD dispatches) during the weekends, and am often required to back up loads. Do you just stow it behind your head if you're going to be in a hurry when you get down, or does it take you so little time once you build a routine that it doesn't take much more time than un-stowing and cocking your regular slider? Thanks all...
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Yep, every jump.

I grabbed a demo 79 a couple of weekends ago and hooked up (just the slider) RDS and jumped it like that - I know a lot of people who do that too.

At first it's a little slow, but once you get the hang of it, packing is marginally slower. If you're doing tandem vids you can stow it while you wait for the TI to land.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Yes I do. It does add quite a bit to the length of my pack job (2 to 3 minutes added to a 6 to 7 minute pack job), but I enjoy the way the canopy flies without it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

A full Removable Deployment System includes the D-bag and pilot chute. A Removable Slider is not same as RDS and it's good not just for competitions/training. It helps you see more around you, improves the canopy shape and flight. Years ago I also used to think that removable sliders were for competition pilots only. I now think anyone can enjoy the benefits of a RS.

To OP: i remove my RS on every jump. However if i am on a back-2-back i may just stow it. It takes a minute to re-assemble it and will become a non-issue after a couple of dozen jumps

Cool, thanks for all your responses guys. I never thought of re-connecting it waiting for the tandem to land, that's a good idea. I think I'll play it by ear until I see how quickly I can do it, etc... And to ErwinBDJ, I plan to start training this year, but as Frost was saying there are several other reasons for using a removable slider. I want the increased visibility and to improve the shape of my wing.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Honestly, I don't notice a huge difference in the flight characteristics with just the slider gone BUT I do LOVE the increased visibility with the slider gone.

Now, I find sliders quite annoying under canopy (bar openings of course ;))

Check out PEAEngineering for their sliders - I've had a lot of luck with them.

A full Removable Deployment System includes the D-bag and pilot chute. A Removable Slider is not same as RDS and it's good not just for competitions/training. It helps you see more around you, improves the canopy shape and flight. Years ago I also used to think that removable sliders were for competition pilots only. I now think anyone can enjoy the benefits of a RS.

To OP: i remove my RS on every jump. However if i am on a back-2-back i may just stow it. It takes a minute to re-assemble it and will become a non-issue after a couple of dozen jumps

But what are the benefits?
More view, the canopy flies better?

Do you really need this in this kind of jump?

Erwin BDJ
Powered by PD.

But what are the benefits?
More view, the canopy flies better?

Do you really need this in this kind of jump?

So, do you jump with a non-collapsable pilot chute? We don't really NEED those either ;)

You don't NEED a Velocity for freeflying either - so unless you're training for a swoop meet that's a nice item too ;)

Point being, there are always going to be things we don't NEED for canopy flight, but that doesn't mean they aren't nice to have.

Blues,
Ian

So how long does the rest of the RDS take to pack up, combined with the slider?

How long does it take to remove the entire RDS? Do you typically open higher or are the extra steps not really noticeable?

I currently stow my slider with a Rubber Band which takes longer than I like sometimes. I'm hoping an RDS is faster, and speeds up my opening procedures.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting one. I'll open another thread for my other questions.

I'm talking about the slider only here, the full RDS (p/c and bag) will only be used for training/comp purposes, but I'd like to take advantage of the removeable slider all the time, but I'm worried about the time it will take to re-attach it after the jump

If you're going to remove the slider you might as well fly with the full RDS in my opinion. Reattaching the slider is the only time consuming part of the process. I almost always jump with mine. If I'm jumping hard and want to save time I'll take off the bag and pilot chute and hook them to the canopy and throw the ball-bungee and rubberband on my container.

If you're going to remove the slider you might as well fly with the full RDS in my opinion. Reattaching the slider is the only time consuming part of the process.

Do you find that the added step of reeling in the bag and p/c is hazardous in traffic? I know in comp situations, it's a dedicated pass and only 3-4 out at a time, staggered opening altitudes, right?

I also do tandem vids, there is another benefit, and that is if or when you slider comes over your slinks and on top of your camera, you don't have to fight to get it off. Or when your slider comes over one toggle and not the other, it is quicker and safer to fix.

I'll take an extra min or 2 packing to save time in the air to pull and slam in down my jumpsuit, instead of collapsing and stowing my slider :)

Do you find that the added step of reeling in the bag and p/c is hazardous in traffic? I know in comp situations, it's a dedicated pass and only 3-4 out at a time, staggered opening altitudes, right?

I make it a common practice to be in the saddle by 2800-3000 ft. After I open I point myself where I want to go and start pulling my RDS off and keep looking around. If I do see someone else under canopy flying towards me I can make light turns with a little harness input or a light pull on a rear riser.
It usually only takes 15-20 seconds to pull it down, roll it up and stuff it in my RDS pocket.

If you're going to remove the slider you might as well fly with the full RDS in my opinion.

I remove the slider every jump and rarely use the whole RDS. My impression is that it can cause wear and tear - also traffic and weather conditions need to be right. I would think most useful when training for and during comps...

RM

I don't recommend using the full RDS on regular jumps for the following reasons:

1) It's distracting for a period that is FAR too long in congested airspace.
2) I've had some interesting wear on a canopy that I attribute to the full RDS being used at terminal.
3) The full RDS can cause some unpredicatble openings, at terminal that can be devastating.
4) It's distracting for a period that is FAR too long in congested airspace. ;)

Blues,
Ian

Harry,

So how long does the rest of the RDS take to pack up, combined with the slider?

It doesnt really take me any longer than usual. there's an extra step of stowing the excess line, but otherwise it's about the same for the Full RDS vs just the slider.

How long does it take to remove the entire RDS? Do you typically open higher or are the extra steps not really noticeable?

Typically I open higher. It seems to take, on average, about 1000 feet on an 84 loaded at 2.5. I like to be in the saddle at 4000 feet, slider stowed, etc by no lower than 3000 feet (since I start my pattern @ 2200 I end up flying to my holding area while stowing the slider).

I currently stow my slider with a Rubber Band which takes longer than I like sometimes. I'm hoping an RDS is faster, and speeds up my opening procedures.

using just the slider it's WAY WAY faster than that. Cut away and jam down front of jumpsuit. Seconds at best.

Hope this helps,
Ian

Hey Ian, quick question from the farm owners extended familiy (wink*wink)

Im flying a Katana 107 loaded at 1.85 (under the supervision of some really good CPC pilots, I.E. Shatalov) and am going to the rears with consistence. As time goes on the idea of a removable slider seems like the next step in what i want to be doing. Currently flying a Wings Ext Rig the ball stow method requires me to sow a tab onto the yoke for this system to work. This makes me a little nervous in the event that i would need to cut away the canopy after i stowed the slider, for obvious reasons. We all like to think that the drag of the cut away main would be strong enough to break the rubber band that holds the slider in a stowed position.... but its some what of a debate. That being said what would be your recommendation for looking for a removable slider for this canopy. Any companies out there that offer top notch removable sliders that dont make the already hairy katana openings even crazier?

Tuck
:::Team Scarecrow:::
East Coast bad boys of body flight

ny companies out there that offer top notch removable sliders that dont make the already hairy katana openings even crazier?

Why do you think that any company would test their RDS with that size of Katana you are flying?

There is an usual warning with RDS that your opening can be worst than it was with stock slider.....B|

tuck, dude, i had same concerns as you, but i never had a chance to prove/disprove them... i still used it :) However if your concern is: will the cutaway "break the rubber"?, then you could do this: cut the long rubber band in half to make two thin bands on put both of them on the ball bungee. In case one brakes, you have the other one as a spare. You can also do a simple pull test - on the ground, connect the slider as you would in the air. Then pick the rig up by the slider and shake it down once or twice. Rubber band should break. That's putting about 60 lbs of force on it. On an actual cutaway, that force will be at least your weight, right?