skyshimas

how to fly katana?

i was searching for that canopy that is a great step up to the velo and i found the mamba to be the choice. the riser pressure and flight is similar. it doesnt dive as much as the velo but i feel that it holds the swoop in the same manner and the plane out is about the same to me. the katana just felt a little too ground hungry and the riser pressure definately did not even compare.
just my opinion

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

I demoed a Katana 97 and an 83.

The 97 loaded at 1.7 did not open well and
I did not like how it recovered and landed.

Decided to try the 83 demo and loved it.
Great openings and good swoops.
Put about 30 jumps on the 83 loaded at 1.9

Started 270 turn at 750+ feet.
The only way I got a good swoop was getting on the rears high and pull it out of the dive.
Late on the rears it will not pull out well and you will lose speed/distance forcing it or going to toggles.
Cant be jerky-smooth transition.
Even if going straight to toggles I started the flare high to get a good plane out.

Slow carve and dive it steep at end.
Almost straight to rears and apply pressure. More pressure as needed to plane it out. Just dont jerk on them or it dies out. This technique worked great for me. Got a couple 200+ foot swoops. Very Fast.
With more jumps I would get better landings than
I do with my current canopy.

I dont use the deep breaks to double fronts like you.
Canopy seems to dive plenty just cranking a turn and using doubles during or after but not before.

Even when wearing weights making it loaded over 2
it flew great. Does feel ike you are sinking in like you said but thats what some people flying a Velo say it is like.

Thats my experience with a Katana.
Jump it more. If it doesnt work out
try something different.
When you are READY to downsize try a smaller Katana. It might open and fly better when loaded more like it did with me.

Sorry, but I feel like I have to comment on some items in your post.

Almost straight to rears and apply pressure. More pressure as needed to plane it out. Just dont jerk on them or it dies out. This technique worked great for me. Got a couple 200+ foot swoops

If you're doing this, then you need to stop your turn higher. If you're going to rears, immediately, on a velocity or KA, you are starting your roll out too low.

I think you'll find that doing the above will change your sentence to: :"Got a couple 300 200+ foot swoops

I agree that the input must be smooth, but from your description you're still rolling out too low.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

This is why I never really loved my katana. I just don't think its meant to be loaded at 2.0 or higher. I was just over that and it always crapped out in the end and had bad openings. Not a reason to go to a velo like I did but my velo opens 100 times better than my Kat and the low end crushes it!!! Now I have hear different things about the crossfire. In hind site I would have taken my PD blinders off and tried the crossfire and mamba. Now with my velo I put my PD blinders back on!!!!!

Thanks. I was doing this because the swoops were much faster. I could get more distance, but I already get killer distance with my Competition Cobalt 85.
I like the Katana for its speed. Im sure if I got one I could do as you say and still have the same speed plus more distance. Just a matter of putting more jumps on it.
Im gonna stick to my Comp Cobalt because it opens better and long spots are no problem. It doesnt dive quite as much but overall I like it better than the Katana.
Thanks for the advice

Ok here's what I'm getting from this. if you're going double fronts, turn, double fronts you're loosing all the energy from your dive before you even try to plain it out. I've killed more swoops like that with my KA-120. My usual 270 consists of deep breaks until about 850'-800', double fronts for a relaxed count to 3 (1......2......3), start turn slow with harness and continue to pick up speed in the turn by gradually letting up on the outside riser, stop the turn on your marks by equalizing the inside riser to the outside, take a breath while you're letting it plain, and adjust your recvery if necessary. I've foun some of my longest swoops have come from when I was just barely in the corner, and gave a bit of break to pull out of the dive. Your problem is you're already under the canopy and have come out of the dive long before you start your swoop. Get out of the habit of coming out of your turn still in double fronts. If you have to touch anything besides breaks or rears, you're probably turning to fast and need to slow it down. I used to start my 270 at around 550'-600' an since I have slowed down my turn I've bumped my start altitude up almost 300' and can easily get 250-300 footers all day long.

DISCLAIMER: no one person flies the same as another, take hints from everyone and experiment but be careful, you could kill yourself doing this shit!!! I am by no means an expert, and take my advice as you will. Just remember it's your ass on the line...

Oh and have fun that' what this sport is about!!!!:P

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws