Sergey-san

modified SunPath risers

During this past weekend I tested my new SunPath risers. Standard EasyGrip Toggles have been replaced with extremely narrow pinned toggles.
This allows slider to go down easily behind your head without any fear of a breakfire. You can basically move your slider down with one sweeping move. That saves time under ground-hungry canopy and special design of the toggles makes breakfire virtually impossible.

Many thanks to Mike Gruwell from ChutingStar rigging for this mode!!! The risers look just like factory modification! And excellent customer service too!!! Also I would like to thank Ian Drennan for recommending Chuting Star for this modification!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2401731827_df2935228c.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2402551946_8a92ba0799.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2167/2401719223_208a832922.jpg?v=0

The toggles system seems to be a copy of the system PdF have used for many years. In my experience they are by far the best system out there, I wish the US harness manufacturers would copy this system... I want them with my new V3, you listening Bill? ;)

Reply to "The toggles system seems to be a copy of the system PdF have used for many years. In my experience they are by far the best system out there, I wish the US harness manufacturers would copy this system... I want them with my new V3, you listening Bill? "

He know about the pinrisers reply "WIH",Wasnt,Invented; Here"

It is about selling your own risers,and not bay from others..

Thanks for the comments Sergey!

Here's what I did for Sergey:

A set of SunPath Risers with Easy Grip Dive Loops (red dive loops, black risers) were combined with a set of toggles from a Russian manufacturer. The toggles have a straight pin for the brake setting stow. It has two tabs (one pointing down and one pointing up) for the lower toggle stows.

All the type III for the SunPath toggle stows was removed from below the guide ring. The excess steering line stow was removed from the back of the riser. New type III to fit the new toggle stows was sewn below the guide ring. Excess steering line stows were sewn on the back side of the riser. The type III toggle stow above the guide ring was sewn to hold the straight pin.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

How does the brake line attach to the toggle? I didn't see a grommet in the photos. Does the #8 slider grommet go over those fat dive loops easily?

Hey Chris,

The brake lines attach to the top of the toggle through the same loop of material that the straight pin is attached. See some of the attached photos.

And as for the slider grommets and the dive loops, Sergey says it was working for him.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

How does the brake line attach to the toggle? I didn't see a grommet in the photos. Does the #8 slider grommet go over those fat dive loops easily?

Honestly, I don't know the size of my grommets, but they are pretty narrow in diameter, it's a standard Crossfire-2 slider.

At first, when I attached the new risers, grommets seemed kind of hard to go through that portion of the riser where you have the Dive loops. So I slightly bent them along longitudinal axis (lengthwise) with plyers. When I first jump-tested my risers, I had no problems what so ever pulling my slider down and stowing it behind my head.

And Easy Dive Loops are very comfortable to hold!!! That might be especially important if you are into that new technique with initiating your turn with double fronts;)

quote ".... I don't stow my excess break lines, just prefer to leave them like that:) "

I'm not a big fan of unstowed brake lines.

Last year when in a hurry to pack I left mine unstowed, which I don't normally do. During opening my right brake line somehow did this weird knot around the riser and toggle. There was no way to get it undone

I had to land with my left toggle and my right rear riser. Not fun.

It took several minutes to untie the knot after the jump.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Did I just read right that you bent your grommets? You REALLY need to monitor that since if there is any sort or stress crack or burr that is formed it can cause excessive wear on your lines or even cut one of them on opening. It would have been far better to replace the grommets with different sized ones if it was really that big of an issue. I'd go back to Mike and ask him to look over the grommets and if they have any damage replace them before continue to jump the slider.

You should have test jumped it before damaging the grommets, with a little tug the slider would have slid right over them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Did I just read right that you bent your grommets?

That's what I thought at first too, but now I think he bent his dive loops with the pliers. When new, those Jav loops can be kinda stiff, and if you work them in a little, they soften up.

It's when he describes the bending as being 'lengthwise' that leads me to believe it's not the grommets. Grommets are round, and have no 'lengthwise'.

Unless he really did bend his grommets, at which point his will have a 'lenghtwise'.