dalemeyer

Hornet 190 vs. Saber2 190

Hi folks,

i would like to find out the main differences between these canopies.
Im currently on a 190 Pilot and figured i would rather learn how to fly a "semi-elliptical" first before downsizing... i dont want to downsize just yet anyway...
Im trying to weigh up my options using the pros and cons of the two using some folks with flight experience on either of the two as opposed to marketing tactics to try and sell me a canopy...
can anyone help please???
Thanks;)
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

Hi folks,

i would like to find out the main differences between these canopies.
Im currently on a 190 Pilot and figured i would rather learn how to fly a "semi-elliptical" first before downsizing... i dont want to downsize just yet anyway...
Im trying to weigh up my options using the pros and cons of the two using some folks with flight experience on either of the two as opposed to marketing tactics to try and sell me a canopy...
can anyone help please???
Thanks;)

I made a few hundred jumps on a 120 Hornet. (keep in mind that smaller canopies handle differently compared to bigger ones even at the same wingloadings). I dislike pretty much everything on that canopy besides the gelvenor fabric wich makes it really easy to pack. The openings were horrible and the recovery arc was super short. I have also flown sabre2 120 for comparison and found it much nicer in everyway besides the packing. Hornet 190 is propably a someworth smaller than the sabre2 190 I would definetly choose sabre2 out of these ones.

I cannot tell you how pilot compares to the two, but the pilot is also semi-elliptical and could be considered as the successor of the hornet. If you are happy with the pilot, why not keep it until you are ready to downsize ? No reason to change only because you "would rather learn how to fly a "semi-elliptical" first before downsizing" IMO

I haven't jumped a 190, but I jumped both a Pilot 150 and a Hornet 150 and found the Pilot to be more responsive and more fun to fly. (I bought the Hornet because it was a lot cheaper and this was not a canopy I was going to keep very long, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I definitely preferred the Pilot).

The Hornet, Pilot, Sabre2, and Safire2 (among others) are all in the semi-elliptical class. I don't know the exact differences between them as far as which is "more" elliptical than the others, but I wouldn't expect a huge performance difference between them, especially at the 190 size. But go ahead and try them all - they each have their fans. I haven't flown a Sabre2 yet, but of the other 3 I'd choose a Pilot any day. Just my opinion though, I know people who absolutely love all of them.

thanks for that... it feels to me (beginner) that the Pilot seems to 'balloon' out of a dive...
but i suppose its a good idea to get the jump numbers up on it until i can downsize...
thanks for the advice and opinions...
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

it feels to me (beginner) that the Pilot seems to 'balloon' out of a dive...

Its not the Pilot. Its the size 188 and your wing load.

Sorry, but I disagree.

I have jumped pretty much every size pilot all the way down to the 104.

Yes the recovery arc gets longer the more you load them, but all of them recover with no input from the pilot if give enough altitude. They have a very short recovery arc regardless of the wingloading or size.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Just my 2 cents. I've downsized to a hornet 190 and have about 50 or so jumps on it now. Its a very nice canopy for me loading at about 1.2. Depending on how new of a hornet you get (got mine with 50 jumps) it, like a sabre1, has a tendency to open faster than a pilot. I have demo'd a sabre2 190 and found it to snivel better and ia a bit more responsive.

I agree with other posters to stay where you are with the pilot 188 at your loading. That canopy from my understanding is very comprable to the sabre and should last you quite a while. Stay patient and learn on it.

Remember its not a race. But im no expert so my opinon is worth what you paid for it. Enjoy and jump safe!

I've owned a hornet 150 and a sabre 2 150 and done about 100 jumps on each. I found the sabre 2 more powerful but less forgiving. Ended up changing to a safire 2 because I couldn't control the openings on the sabre 2. Diving openings and finally a mal (but sent back to PD and tested ok, and by the way, PD customer service excellent). I know nothing with my jump numbers but the sabre 2 felt like a sports car compared to the hornet.