northcave

Ground Launching, Risers v. Brakes

Another ground launching Q :P

Please if anyone has any experience answer the following questions in a technical manner rather than something like "go and get professional coaching".

1. The question is when you see people ground launching some use only their rear risers and other use their brakes / toggles. Is this just dependent on the size of hill and how much time they have.

I.e. if they don't have enugh time to get onto the their brakes then they simply don't and stay with their rears?

2. The 2nd part of this Q is getting the canopy off the ground. In vids, especially during low wind, people using the front risers to bring the canopy off the ground and spreading the risers as far apart as possible. I can understand using the fronts to raise the canopy but what is the advantage of spreading the risers when launching and /or swooping which i've noticed also.

----

Again please don't assume with 28 jumps i'm going to launch myself off a hill... I'm not. I'm just purely curious as to the technical aspects in my questions relating to canopy control. :)

If possible it is better to get to your rears ASAP after you launch since flying in brakes is flying slow. But sometimes you can't get to your rears.

But I would suggest you contact Kevin Love or Jim Slaton about your Ground Launching questions. I could attempt to explain how to do no wind launches here, but I could explain it wrong and/or someone could misinterpret what I say. It could all turn into one big flame fest and we know how those go.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over