northcave

Ground Launching on Sand Dunes

It seems that lots of people learn to ground launch on large sand dude (for obvious reasons).

Anyway the point is illustrated well in Brain's video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fp-V8CFIiys

My question to people that have some experience here, will the sand screw up your good rig or is it just a case of getting out there and cleaning it all up afterwards?

If not i suppose the people in the video are using old rigs they don't mind get mucky and sandy right?

Yes sand will screw up your good rig.

Use and old container like an old racer or vector that have nice comfortable harness, you don't need to drag your resaerve up and down the hill and buy a second hand canopy to use. for $500 or less. you should easily get ssome appropriate gear to use, and it will save you more than that on wear and tear on your good gear.

it wouldn't be advisable to use your good skydiving gear for Speed flying on sand.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Yes sand will screw up your good rig.

Use and old container like an old racer or vector that have nice comfortable harness, you don't need to drag your resaerve up and down the hill and buy a second hand canopy to use. for $500 or less. you should easily get ssome appropriate gear to use, and it will save you more than that on wear and tear on your good gear.

it wouldn't be advisable to use your good skydiving gear for Speed flying on sand.

If you're going to go with non-SF-specific gear (ie, skydiving canopy/harness), you're better off getting an old BASE harness and cutting off the flaps. Easy to find for $100 or so. Much lighter weight than an old skydiving harness, which is important is those long uphill hikes.

Ok... hope kim doesnt read this..... I took a pd demo out to those exact dunes in the video. It is virtually impossible to get all the sand out of a canopy, espeically when its the really fine sand that makes it nice to GL off of. Get a crappy sabre1 or stiletto. I got my stilleto 120 and my harness for a grand total of $250.