homer

centaurus

I have been looking into getting an Infinity as my next container for those that didn't read my post. I was talking with my dealer who is also a dealer for NAA who makes the Cantaurus. I hear it's a very well built cantainer but not a lot is known about it. I'm hopping some of you have one or have had one in the past and can tell me a little about the container. NAA web site doesn't tell me anything. Any info will be helpful.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

I picked up a used Centarus 2 years ago. I never jumped it and passed it along. It was a generic container that really didn't impress me. It was well made, but I did not like the appearence or fit at all. No matter how I packed it it was lumpy looking. I'm not aware of the the cost of a Centarus, but if it is close to the cost of a Jav, Mirage, Voodoo or Vector, I would recommend you stick with those big names.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Centarus, Infinity (previous model was Northern Lite), and Strong containers are kind of second tier. (No offense to the manufacturers.) Not in quality or performance but in numbers, popularity, and advertising hype. In gerneal they offer good value for the price and are full feature rigs. The Dolphin was designed to be a generic rig. In many ways too basic in the beginning. I thing Mike Fury might agree. It's a funtional rig for those who don't care about looking cool and would rather spend their money on skydiiving.

I haven't seen recent versions of either Centarus or Infinity. Since you have a local dealer for both have him refer to some local owners for their impressions and to look at them in person. You might not be cool or in at some dropzones. But if that's not worth the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars (or more) go for value and not brand hype. For the record I have a Reflex, 2 vector II's, 2 early 80's Northern Lites, one of the original SST's (precursor of the Racer), and a Security crossbow from the early 70's. (I've only sold 3 rigs that I've owned in 24 years.:S) Only the first three and a Northern lite set up as a cutaway rig are in use.

The hardest thing about ordering a new, custom rig? Picking the colors!!! I have some customer that have taken TWO years figuring out their color pattern.:P Have fun.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have seen the Infinity and Centaurus in person but they were both a couple years old and not the latest model. They both look good as rigs and are not flashy by all means. I'm looking for a strong all around rig that will last me for several years. Thanks, I will keep my search up for more info and comments.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

I had Centaurus DOM 1997 for about 100 jumps as my accuracy rig. I buy it used, so it was not built for me, but it was very comfortable system. Well built. Looks small for that size. It will definitely last for a couple of years. In my ex club there are few centaurus, and all look good consider that they all have 252sqft Parafoils in and number of jumps that they have.
If you need a rig for that large canopy, and if the price is good, go for it.
Also you might check the harness sizing cos I think that they have harness in factory sizes. S,M,L...(There are labels on harness on our C's)
I tried L size(mine was S), and it was not quite comfortable, after opening all harness was lifted up, chest strap was pressing my face, bask of the rig (joke?) was pressing my head. Which is probably normal for that large harness and me so small.
I put a few jumps on Atom Axis by P deFrance, and Centaurus is super comfy in compare.
No one who tried both did not have any doubts that Centaurus is better. Even the guy that own Axis said that he wish he buy Centaurus.

Igor

I always thought that the Centaurus was a purpose-built accuracy container. I have seen smaller containers and NAA has run an advert with a four way team jumping their container, but don't they all have a low chest strap? Great for accuracy, but you may or may not be comfortable with that if you are doing RW or freeflying. Make sure you like the feel of the harness, even if it fits well.

Quality wise I have heard mixed reviews on the container. A local accuracy guy jumped one for years (built in the early 1990s I think), it's still in great shape. But, the Canadian forces had some too and one of their riggers told me the rigs were junk and were falling apart.

Martin

but don't they all have a low chest strap? Great for accuracy, but you may or may not be comfortable with that if you are doing RW or freeflying.

Why that wont be comfortable?
The harness whit low chest strap feel the same as my new Wings.

Centarus are one of the few rigs with the chest strap BELOW the handles, comfortable for accuracy, but I would be reluctant to wear a Centarus while going head-down.
Whether to mount the chest strap above or below the handles is an age-old controversy. Troy Loney, designer of the Centarus and EOS preferrs low chest straps while most other manufacturers prefer chest straps mounted above handles. Ironically, when we designed the Student Telesis 2, we concluded that sewing the chest strap at the same level as the handles was the best compromise. To prevent people from mis-routing chest straps through reserve ripcord handles, we had to sew extra wide ripcord pockets onto the Telesis 2 harness.
The more you do head-down, the higher you need to mount your chest strap. High-mounted chest straps can become a problem if you wear your leg straps too loose or wear a harness built for someone taller than you: your chest strap becomes a chin strap!

but I would be reluctant to wear a Centarus while going head-down.

If you think of slipping out of harness b/c the strap is high?
If harness is fitted right I don't see how would that be possible. I have friend that takes his (my ex)Centaurus on hd. dives(he do style whit it), and he has no problem whit it.
Actually, i find the low chest strap a good thing 'cos the whole rig fits better (point of pressure is lover), so you rig fits better to your back.
But then again the whole rig is build for accuracy and style so this should be consider when purchasing it.
(the jumper is suspended different than on other rigs so he can see tuffet while he is on last few feet/final approach)