northcave

Speed Riding Q's

I'm in France at the moment Skiing and saw someone bomb down the hill on a sqaure canopy. Not paragliding. Its called speed flying apparently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u156J537Eow

Anyway seeing that it was a sqaure canopy i was wondering whether this is just an extension of Ground Launching but made slightly easier by the speed you can get on skis and the open slopes of many ski areas.

Could, would or has anyone ever done this on their skydiving rig?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: There is better gear to use for the job. Why use a skydiving canopy designed for skydiving when you can be using a Ground Launching canopy designed for Ground Launching? Why add the weight and bulk of using a skydiving container with it's reserve? Why use a pilot chute it will only add drag? Why use a slider? etc, etc, etc.

Disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with you wanting to set a goal for yourself to try it one day (I have done some ground launching in CA and CO and it is very exhilarating). But please keep it as only a dream for now. You really need to be an advanced canopy pilot to be trying this stuff and even they the advanced pilots are messing up at times. Ground launching and/or speed flying is an order of magnitude less safe than skydiving. There has been a number of incidents within the last couple of days, weeks and even years where experienced ground launchers/speed fliers have died or been seriously injured. All it takes is one momentary loss of lift and/or misjudging the terrain, weather or the fliers ability to spoil your day or worse.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with you wanting to set a goal for yourself to try it one day (I have done some ground launching in CA and CO and it is very exhilarating). But please keep it as only a dream for now. You really need to be an advanced canopy pilot to be trying this stuff and even they the advanced pilots are messing up at times. Ground launching and/or speed flying is an order of magnitude less safe than skydiving. There has been a number of incidents within the last couple of days, weeks and even years where experienced ground launchers/speed fliers have died or been seriously injured. All it takes is one momentary loss of lift and/or misjudging the terrain, weather or the fliers ability to spoil your day or worse.

While I agree with the safety aspect of this comment I do disagree that the resurgence and evolution of this activity should only be reserved for experienced skydivers and paragliders.

You can go to the GLC in California, or the the boogie they are having in Sweden later in the year.... with no canopy experience whatsoever and be speed flying safely, in only a few days.

It is all about risk management. And there is a safe progression.

Every snowboarder and skier is going to want to try it, so they can session thier slopes in summer too. Why make them learn something else first when they dont have to, or necesssarily want to.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I'm in France at the moment Skiing and saw someone bomb down the hill on a sqaure canopy. Not paragliding. Its called speed flying apparently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u156J537Eow

Anyway seeing that it was a sqaure canopy i was wondering whether this is just an extension of Ground Launching but made slightly easier by the speed you can get on skis and the open slopes of many ski areas.

Everything you need to know can be found here...
http://www.speed-flying.com ;)

See top menu - Products for A to Z Wing Guide
See top menu - Guidelines for safety and all other information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuetDfQ-1nY
One of the first videos which started the sport... flying with parachutes like PdF Springo's. Proper speedflying wings are based on both parachutes and paraglider design with a low aspect ratio around 3.0 and flown with wing loading between 1.5 and 2.0
http://www.speed-flying.com - No:1 for the worldwide Speed-Riding Community