frost

FLCPA Event #2 - Palatka, FL

Although it wasn't as smooth as everyone hoped, another great FLCPA event is in the books. 21 pilots showed up. FLCPA meets continue to be the biggest and best ran canopy piloting events in the country.

So far I got only unofficial results, but the top 3 positions are:

1. "Loud" Dan McAllister
2. Pete "Mr. Proswooper Sir" Schwartz
3. "Uncle Chris" Watkins.

Congrats Dan, that distance run rocked bro.

The weather was against us Friday and Saturday. High winds and rain didnt allow any practice jumps for most of the competitors. Those who got to the DZ for Friday practice ended up playing Xbox 360 and poker. But a few were smart enough to get there Thursday, when the weather was still good and they were able to make a few jumps.

Comp weather day was Sunday. It was still dark when we got to the DZ at 7 AM with plans for 7:30 wheels up. The plane was iced up and we had to wait for an hour an a half. Then we had some issues with the flap that pushed us back another hour, with just a small Cessna running. Then it was fixed and we were back to a Caravan... Then the flap broke again :) But we kept flying :) with less people, of course - the pilot was on top of his game.

There were two accidents that luckily didn't result in any major injuries, but took the pilots out of the competition...

As a competitor i just wanted to say a couple of "thank you's" to the folks that helped make this and other events possible.

Thanks to Al for organizing another great event. It was as smooth, professional and fun as always.
Thanks to Brian McNenney for coaching - i know he'd much rather be flying himself, but he spent his day watching us fly and helping with advice.
Thanks to the judges and Brian for helping us out of towners make as many rounds as possible since we had to fly back and had to leave early missing the last event - Accuracy.
Thanks to Art (DZO) for being very accommodating and doing everything to help us too. Your pilot rocked and did everything to make competitors' runs and separations perfect..

ditto.....and special thanks to Brian McN for being so positive when my performance wasn't :S... I guess I will try it again in Sebastian. Hopefully we'll get better weather and another great turnout. Already looking forward to the chance to get in the air with my newfound friends. :$

Ugh... Let me tell you how disappointed I was not to be able to compete on my home turf! >:( I'm glad the weather finally cooperated for those that could stay. I definitely wish I could've been one of those! Instead I got to fly back to the frozen tundra (Michigan) for another 2 weeks. Oh well... now I'm definitely looking forward to the next one in warm and sunny Sebastian! B|

Cheers!

--Jairo

Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Although it wasn't as smooth as everyone hoped, another great FLCPA event is in the books. 21 pilots showed up. FLCPA meets continue to be the biggest and best ran canopy piloting events in the country.

So far I got only unofficial results, but the top 3 positions are:

1. "Loud" Dan McAllister
2. Pete "Mr. Proswooper Sir" Schwartz
3. "Uncle Chris" Watkins.

Congrats Dan, that distance run rocked bro.

The weather was against us Friday and Saturday. High winds and rain didnt allow any practice jumps for most of the competitors. Those who got to the DZ for Friday practice ended up playing Xbox 360 and poker. But a few were smart enough to get there Thursday, when the weather was still good and they were able to make a few jumps.

Comp weather day was Sunday. It was still dark when we got to the DZ at 7 AM with plans for 7:30 wheels up. The plane was iced up and we had to wait for an hour an a half. Then we had some issues with the flap that pushed us back another hour, with just a small Cessna running. Then it was fixed and we were back to a Caravan... Then the flap broke again :) But we kept flying :) with less people, of course - the pilot was on top of his game.

There were two accidents that luckily didn't result in any major injuries, but took the pilots out of the competition...

As a competitor i just wanted to say a couple of "thank you's" to the folks that helped make this and other events possible.

Thanks to Al for organizing another great event. It was as smooth, professional and fun as always.
Thanks to Brian McNenney for coaching - i know he'd much rather be flying himself, but he spent his day watching us fly and helping with advice.
Thanks to the judges and Brian for helping us out of towners make as many rounds as possible since we had to fly back and had to leave early missing the last event - Accuracy.
Thanks to Art (DZO) for being very accommodating and doing everything to help us too. Your pilot rocked and did everything to make competitors' runs and separations perfect..

ohh for fucks sake!!!! is Dan starting to get it dialed in.......

everyone, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!! the game is over when dan dials it in.!!!:D

nice job dan...:)

Yeah Mark, our little Dan is all grown up now!

Dan, Pete and Chris - awesome job guys!!
I've been watching Dan since he was a little kid in diapers, swooping a giant Sabre2 - and look at him now, laying down distance runs like the pros!!

Definitely was an eventful meet with tough conditions, but the competitors did a great job keeping cool and focused.
BIG thanks to Jay and Brian for stepping up to help with organizing, course maintenance and general meet directing after Al decided to clock out early to go hit on some cute Putnam County nurses ;)

Judges Kim & Laticia worked hard as always - and this time around were lucky enough to have a couple of helpers, AJ, Monica and Amber - and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

And a quick note to the competitors.... hug a judge next time you see one. These people for the most part are working for free so that you can compete! We aren't perfect, but we do our damn best to keep up with you guys so the meets can happen.
Usually I'm not sure why I even do it, but then when I hear Loud Dan won the comp, Pete came in 2nd and Chris in 3rd, I just get all warm and fuzzy on the inside - and I know Kim and Tish feel the same.

Hope to see everyone in Sebastian in a few weeks!

Blue ones,
Kolla

Edited: and yeah.... next time when there is a weather day there will be no x-box crap, if we have a weather day - you are all sitting through a judges course to become regional judges!!! It will do you good and give you a better understanding of how judging works - it will be fun!!

Blue Skies Magazine

Thank you Kolla for keeping such a level head in a "time of crisis." This wasn't an easy meet for anyone, but I'm so impressed with how everyone came together to make it work against so much adversity.

Monica, Amber, & AJ were total rock stars! All were so willing to help and so understanding during my frequent "melt downs." It was a tough meet. :)

Brian M. and Jay saved the day by stepping up and taking Al's place. We absolutely couldn't have done it without them. I'll say it again, because it's so true: we COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THEM. They both were the voice of reason that helped us all get it done & Brian wins my "saint of the week" award. B| Both of these guys held such a positive attitude and were extremely selfless with their time and knowledge. They were able to "herd the cats" when everyone was so scattered (I now hold freaked out, scattered rating #1!)

That's one of the many things that make the SE CPC so incredible & special. Such beautiful people who all have the same goal in mind. Each competitor, coach, meet director, and judge is completely focused on the goal and is dedicated to making each meet as successful as possible, no matter what the obstacles, while still remembering what it's all about--learning & encouraging each other to be better. B|

Each and every person who attended to compete, judge, direct, coach, or support (thanks SkySystems!) should feel extremely proud of the meet in Palatka. It wasn't easy, but we all made it happen together!

You are exceptional people who I'm lucky enough and very proud to call friends. :)
We're so proud of you Dan!!!!! You owned it. ;) All of the competitors have come so far and are doing so well! It's truly impressive.

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

Awwwwww you guys are makingme blush!! I will admit it feels pretty good. Super Big thanks to Art and Al who worked together to put on what was ultimately one hell of a comp. Adversity kept rearing its ugly head, and solutions kept getting laid out. Thaks to JayMo and Brian McNenny for imparting all of their smarts, and especially for stepping up when Al tried to teach the airport who was boss. HUGE thanks to the judges who suffered through the crap weather, the frozen plane and everything else right along with us, because without all of these lovely ladies, don't nothin' happen. I also want to thank Skysystems for protecting Al's noggin, you shoulda seen it, not a scratch on that helmet, and of course PD and all of the great support they give to the FLCPA.

Something that really should shine through about this comp is how many people that have never been in the top ten placed in the top ten. There was a whole lotta personal improvement in the face of diversity and I think that goes a long way to define the group dynamic and team mentality the pilots and members of the Southeast Region share, everyone willing to support and help the person who is trying to beat them, It's just the coolest thing going...........I LOVE IT!!!

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!