packing_jarrett

Why does my FX suck?

No really...
I shouldn't base my opinion on just this one canopy but here goes:

I traded my old crossfire 99 for an FX 84. I will say that I'm not impressed at all on the performance. When I say performance I don't care about openings.

I've jumped this FX about, uuuuh, a dozen maybe 2 dozen times and everything seems fine but the rear riser plane out. It seems that it wants to drop out on me. I'm convinced that the only thing they're good for is a place to stow the yonkles. I've tried different setups in different conditions and my conclusion now is either they do very little or when I really pull them down the tail flutters (which leads to a collapse).

Facts: I'm wingloading it right a 2.0
I'm jumping at sea level
The canopy has 500 jumps
Backround: I have over 1000 skydives with over 800 swoop type landings. I'm no stranger to small canopies with my previous canopy being a Xaos 84, 91 and Velocity 90. With such light wingloadings I usually pull a nice 360 at 500-600ft.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Maybe your FX doesn't suck, you're just comparing it to a Xaos and a Velocity. Perception is reality and that's like having driven a Porsche then borrowing your grandma's Honda Accord. Sure both go fast, but its just not quite the same.;)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the manufacturer would have the line trim, shoot icarus an e-mail....or try a service center....para-concepts has been really great for me when i had some patches put on my vx. mel at skyworks is great also, he did my last lineset on an fx 115 that i sent to him.

later

Dude... The FX does not suck. If you are comparing it to a 9 cell then you are comparring apples to oranges. I would hardly think that 12 jumps is enough to make a solid decision about a canopy. Also the FX had pretty decent openings but it required a little care on packing. Do not roll the tail much if any at all.

If you are using the rears to the point where the canopy collapses then you are either turning to low and bailing out on your rears (if you keep that up then you will be a fatality) or your canopy is out of trim.

Yes Vectran will shrink over time but not as much as spectran. 500 jumps is a good time to change your lineset.

Just remember that learning to fly the 7 cell is a lot different than your 9 cell.

Well I'm also comparing it to a velo too. Which is a 7 cell right? Yep a seven cell:S(21). Of course the FX wouldn't have the same power on rear as say a xaos but I would expect the FX to have *some* simularities to a Velocity or perhaps even the 21 celled xaos.

And no it hasn't collapsed on me yet but it just feel like it will if I use them. Turning high and obviously turning low and everything in between seems like the same tail fluttering affect.

I will see if its out of trim.

Na' Cho' Cheese

Well I'm also comparing it to a velo too. Which is a 7 cell right? Yep a seven cell(21).

An FX and a velo are the same only in the fact that they are seven cell canopies. Other than that you are comparing apples to oranges again.

Have you practiced flying your rears to stall point up high to find out when it will collapse on you?

Yes Vectran will shrink over time but not as much as spectran. 500 jumps is a good time to change your lineset.

It has got to be Monday.....

Vectran will elongate to some very, very small degree, but will not shrink.

Spectran..... It that a new line medium;)

Yeah, I know you meant Spectra!:ph34r:

Not beating you up, but that was the second incorrect reference that Vectran shrinks that I have seen here lately.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

An FX and a velo are the same only in the fact that they are seven cell canopies. Other than that you are comparing apples to oranges again.

If he shouldn´t compare FX to a Velo, what should he be comparing it to then ?? Only other Icarus canopies ?? :S

I didn't say that now did I? From my experience the FX doesn't really fly like a VX or Velo or JVX. I don't really have much experience with the precision products to make a determination on them. Go and kite a simularly sized FX and velo and let me know if they look the same. All in all none of this shit really matters, because everyone is going to have their own opinion of canopies. I can tell you till I'm blue in the face that PD reserves are the best out there ( i have landed several of them), but some people will continue to jump Ravens because their friends had a friend who used one once and stood up his reserve landing... hahahaa

Jump all the canopies out there and make your own decisions and :S yourself mister... hahaa

jarrett,
you should talk to jj from sdo. he's got an fx has at least 1000 jumps on it and shreds the piss out of it.
ive never flown anything xb exept my velo but from years of reading and talking to others the fx seems to be its own animal. some love em some hate em, just depends on what your looking for i would guess.
but that fluttering description say's to me theres something not right.

this may sound stupid but have you checked your attachment points at the risers. ive seen slinks hooked up incorrectly, (one pass through the lines instead of 2), that extra inch or two of length on the fronts would flatten out the trim more than it was designed, which could make the rears stall quicker..
i doubt you would fuck up slinks but it happens way more than it should.
its also a handy trick for GL steep canopy's like the velo. just add another link to the fronts and PRESTO new trim.
>

When was it made? Some of the first FXs not only were rather exciting (meaning unbelievably inconsistent) during opening but the flight characteristics resembled an aerodynamic brick. The few I jumped would swoop ok but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Years later I flew a few different FX canopies and the openings were good and the flight was still fairly ground hungry but it was nothing like the original. The landings were nice with good rear riser control.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

you know its funny I had an early FX and it was awesome... it did how ever fly like it was trying to rip my f'ing arms off all the time.... I would equate it to something like flying the rack (torture device) around sometimes...then I flew a velo and was like ohhhhhhh so now I get it...although I do miss the workout that I got from flying my FX

Cheers

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.