JohnnyZ

CPC - ILLINOIS DISTRICT

To those wanting to compete in the CPC in Illinois this year:

Scott "Drew" Hickok, our district organizer for the last several years, has decided to step down. If anyone else would like to take over the position we could really use your help.

In the event nobody steps up to the job, I am willing to organize a CPC schedule in which all meets will be held over the pond at Skydive Chicago. I have a busy year organizing Swoppp Club, flying camera and running another business otherwise I'd gladly offer to hold meets at other area dropzones.

We've only got about 6 weeks until what should be the start of our season, so we need to get this figured out.

Also, if you plan on competing please respond to this thread so that I can get an idea as to who will be competing this season...

Peace...

John Z :ph34r:

I'm currently doing the FL CPC but might also take the opportunity to come to Chicago and compete for more training and practice. Pls post the expected dates for the comps as soon as you can so that I can schedule my work appts around those weekends...makes paying for flights a whole lot less painful ;)

I now where your coming from Johnny, I did that in New Jersey when I was up there. It's tough to have the time to travel for the CPC meets on your "time off".
Just a suggestion but if anyone would be interested in organizing a couple of the meets on your behalf at other dz's that may help the district move around and gain members. kind of like a co-organizer with yourself. If there is someone out there who isn't willing to commit or doesn't have the time to organize all the meets, maybe you can keep the district growing by splitting the work/responsibility.

Good luck, It's hard work, but like Kevin Costner said in that baseball movie "if you build it, they will swoop."
Watch out for planters.

I looked through the calender of events for Skydive Chicago, Chicagoland Skydiving Center and Sky Knights and put together what seemed to be the best schedule for people from all dropzones.

Saturday, May 17th
Saturday, June 21st
Saturday, July 12th
Saturday, August 9th

As most of you already know, you have to compete in at least three meets to qualify for the CPC Nationals at Mile Hi. I thought it would be a good idea to schedule four meets so that everyone has a chance to qualify if they can't make one of the comps. If we are weathered out on the scheduled day of competition we can make it up the next day (Sunday).

If anyone would like the schedule changed for whatever reason, now is the time to speak up. If everbody is fine with the schedule I'll give it to Rook next week so that he can update SDC's calender of events.

John Z :ph34r:

It's a shame that all the events have to be at SDC since Sky Knights has been pretty supportive of the CPC stuff. We have in the past given discounted hop and pops and even let them have their own cessna to use full time all day till they were done so they didn't have to try and deal with the turbine loads. Though I guess most of the Illinois people never did travel up by us anyways.

I might complain more but I don't have time to compete this year anyways. Just frustrating for me because so many people in Illinois are unwilling to travel to Wisconsin. We aren't having an MWSL meet this year for the same reason.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'm open to having the comps at other dropzones, but it looks like I'm going to have to be the one organizing for our district. I can and will make all of the comps at other dropzones, but I really can't make it an all day project hanging out trying to figure out the scores and dividing the money. If someone else want to take charge and be the Illinois district organizer, speak up and it's yours...

We've got 10 swoopers from SDC that will compete for sure when meets are held here. Like myself, most of them have other obligations that make traveling a pain in the ass (instructors, camera guys, team training, etc.). Hinkley had Matty competing last year only when the meets were at Hinkley. Dan and G were good about traveling to other dz's to compete, and I think that Sky Knights had one other local compete when the meet was up there.

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is we can continue to have the CPC travel between the three larger dropzones in the area and have 5 or 6 competitors show up or we can have the comps at SDC and probably have at least 14 competitors show up... And have the comps over the pond.

Once again, if somebody else wants to claim the job, take it!

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is we can continue to have the CPC travel between the three larger dropzones in the area and have 5 or 6 competitors show up or we can have the comps at SDC and probably have at least 14 competitors show up... And have the comps over the pond.

Once again, if somebody else wants to claim the job, take it!

I think you made the decision here... why not roll with it and get it off the ground. Better to have it this way than to have it fall apart completely with lack of attendance and time to prepare. I am so far away, I cannot possibly do much but try to help Friday AM's with set up. If you need some excel work done, I can bring a laptop and at least get some of the spreadsheet mock ups ready.

John, if you are willing to take the role as organizer that is great. I am hesitant to do so because I am not sure I can make the commitment this year and I don't want to let anyone down.

But why do we have to have the same argument every year about meet location? John, do everyone a favor and schedule the meets at different dropzones. Christy and I will certainly help out with the organizing if we can.

After much deliberation between myself and Dan Raymond (not really), we came to an agreement on a NEW SCHEDULE:

Saturday, May 10th, at Skydive Chicago
Saturday, June 21st, at Sky Knights
Saturday, July 12th, at Chicagoland Skydiving Center
Saturday, August 9th, at Skydive Chicago

I hope that this works for everyone...

Great news!!! The more experience for everyone, the better. Never been to any of these DZ's so hope to hit at least 2 of these comps. Looking forward to being at least a little bit more current for these CPC's than the FL ones. :ph34r:The weather here (and in FL!!) just not cooperating with my schedule lately. :(

That is awesome that you guys got a "thing" going. A lot of the members of the Florida League travel anywhere from 4 to 6 hours, and then when you add the New Yorkers and the Brits and Finns, well you get the picture, like Big Al said, IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL SWOOP IT!!! You're on the way to being world famous. If I can swing it I will try to make it up there to see how you all do your thing. But for the in between time I will enjoy jumping out of your Otter (did I mention it was warm in Georgia).

Good Luck & Swoop Safe!!

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I'm all for going to other dropzones when time permits, but personally I'm not going to drive 3 hours to do cessna hop and pops at a dropzone without a pond. Sorry.

We do too have a pond!! (See attached picture)

(ok, so... it is only there 2 weeks out of the year when the snow melts... still!!! :):P;)B|:D:ph34r::)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

So far the weather is looking good for the weekend. Let's hope it stays that way.

Everything will be available and Troy Church will be around on Friday to start getting the pond set up. Come out and get some practice on Friday if you want to.

So who's coming? We've got myself, Troy, Henry and Mike Macino and hopefully a few more from SDC. It would be nice to get at least a dozen or so competitors out there.