nene

Canopy control help!

Hi Guys,

I am a student completing my ISPs. My landings are not great, as i tend to either flare to early or too late, and on occassion land downwind. I also realized that a lot of our training was geared towards general freefall skills but hardly any canopy skills! Statistically most injuries/fatalities happen either during landing or a landing related manouver.

I feel that canopy control training is lacking in my AFF training!

Landing takes some time to master. It will all depend on how much "feel" you have for flying a canopy. As for injuries, these are not common, even for a sprain. Having said that, you have accepted the risk of injury/death when you made your first skydive. The flare should be a smooth movement from top to bottom on most student canopies. Note that I say most and not all as there are many different designs of canopy. I see you have done 16 jumps. Over what period? 1 month, 3 months, 6 months?
This could also have an effect on your performance as a student. Being very current will allow you to learn much faster than jumping once a month. Please talk to your local instructors as they will know you best. Good luck and welcome to skydiving.
“It takes ten years to get ten years’ experience” Eric "tonto" Stephenson D515 PASA

I agree that getting good, or even great takes time to master. But the fact that you realize that you may need help in fully understanding you wing is a good step. You may not need it to stand up, but you might want to at least look at what some of the canopy coaches out there offer. Flight-1 classes like that are tought in Deland and abroad by Scott Miller, etc. Jonathan Tagle does them in Elsinore are great at ANY level. And your never to green to start.
Depending on your location there may be one close to you, or if your planning on a holiday??

Al
Watch out for planters.

Flight-1 classes like that are tought in Deland and abroad by Scott Miller, etc. Jonathan Tagle does them in Elsinore

Ahhh.... I think you accidently forgot about Brian Germain. He does an excellent canopy control course as well. Much more in depth if you ask me.

Ahhh.... I think you accidently forgot about Brian Germain. He does an excellent canopy control course as well. Much more in depth if you ask me.

Not necessarily more or less in depth - just different.

Each course, and instructor, bring their own unique style to the table. None (of the respected good courses) are better, or worse, than others - just different.

Take as many different ones as you can is my opinion.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

If you feel you are not getting enough canopy control training during AFF, I recommend you voice this concern to your instructors. The economic reality is that sometimes canopy control can take a back seat on a very busy day when instructors are doing back-to-backs, if that is the case. Regardless, pursue your instructors for personalized assistance.

-If possible, go to the dz on a weekday armed with beer, Red Bull, donuts etc. With fewer students, the instructors can spend more time addressing your canopy control.

-Video of your landings is a simple, inexpensive method of learning. This might address your early/late flare issues.

-Review the landing pattern prior to a jump carefully with an instructor. Use a flight planner to draw it out, observe the landmarks, ask about how to modify the plan if conditions change between takeoff and approach, ask where your holding area is.

-If you can observe a load or two of landings with an instructor prior to jumping, this should give you an idea of where to set up so as to avoid downwind landings. Downwind landings are something you will want to learn to handle eventually but I think it is too early yet.

AND YOU ARE RIGHT!! You have to learn to fly your body stable, before your even under canopy. I had MAJOR canopy issues for my first jumps. I landed crosswind, downwind, you name it I did it.

I scared the crap out of my boyfriend around jump 50 and did a flat braking turn at about 125-150 ft. so I wouldn't end up in a fence, I survived and learned. Take it from me, it takes time and coaching. Not all of us are naturals and even the naturals have had their learning experiences. I would suggest a canopy coaching course. It will help you SO much.

Until then, get someone at the DZ to video your landings and that way you can watch the differences in each landing. Watching video of yourself fucking up really helps one to learn...take it from someone who has watched MANY of her own landings and learned.

I had the same feeling when I went through my AFF training that I did not get enough canopy control teaching. I was sticking my landing pretty good and things were working out fine but I had an obsticle that got in my way and i ended up bouncing. Spent 3 weeks in the Hospital and 2.5 months in rehab. But during this time I came up with an idea for our Dropzone / Country (SWITZERLAND).

I organize a Student Jump Contest that is actually a Canopy Course. Its in its second year and it has been well received by all.

Here is the link to the contest:

www.nur-gezielt.ch