stevomooo

The best canopy pilot in the world

Who do you all think is the best canopy pilot in the world. When you take away prototype wings etc. If everyone was flying the same wing who would be the best pilot in your opinions.

Also, there's alot of new-commers out there who are smoking, not just in the US but everywhere, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc.
How long do you think it's gunna be before the new generation takes over the top spots?

Technical Disciplines (Distance, Speed and ZA) Jay Moledski, hands down. There is simply no other pilot, in competition, who comes close IMO.

Freestyle - that's open, but my vote would have to go to Jeffro for now although there are some really good up and comers giving him a good run for his money.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

How do you judge who is the best pilot? Is it based on a personal opinion or on actual results of competitions?

Highest ranked canopy pilot in PST last year was Jeffro.

The pilot that has won most comps or placed most in the top 3 in the last 3-4 years is Jay.

But to me the best pilot is someone who inspires me to do better, to learn something new, who makes me say "wow!". There are a few people that have done that for me in the past, so i cant point out one single person.

after starting his turn blindman

You mean he does a blindman before he touches a front riser and before he starting his dive? Wow that's either impressive or plum crazy (maybe both!)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes Pablo's the man for sure.
How about the Aussie boys, I believe Michael Vaughen is one of the best pilots out there flying his 69, also Shae, Drew and Matt from Aussie are insane.
Keeping in mind these guys, unlike the US guys, don't get to train on competition courses very often.
Nick Batsch is crazy good all round too!
There's Ricky Good from New Zaeland who placed 17th, I think, in the World Cup without ever even seeing a speed or accuracy course before the comp. Don't forget the South African boys too like Rob Kruger who went 128m in a distance run on a vmax at the worlds....
Aswell as guys who don't compete at all, who go ultra fast and far, put them on a course for a few weeks and see em go....

Don't be fooled there's some talent out there that poses a huge threat to the top boys in the next few years....

And yeah freestyle I have to say Vince is amazing, but my favourite to watch is still Nick Batsch, double miracle man ghost rider!!!! What the???

I thought you asked who was the BEST, not who was good. ;)

So then, you see now the trickiness and actually i bit of silliness in the question "who is the best pilot in the world"? :)

I don't think it's silly I think it's obvious to me!
SONIC !!!!!!!!

And Yes, I am completely bias !!!!

I agree with Lama. The question was not who swoops farthest, or fastest, or makes more ninja moves. The question was simply "who is the BEST canopy pilot in the world?" Best means have no one even close. The answer is obvious: SONIC. The rest just pales in comparison.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Yeah Frost, I was going to elaberate on the title when I posted it but decided to just split up the question into two parts, if you read the original post you will see the two seperate questions.

1) Who is the best pilot when you take away special wings etc.

2) There are alot of new comers who are rippen, how long do you think it's gunna be before the new gen takes over etc...

Also a conversation needs to evolve otherwise it stays in the same place for ever and gets boring, you know, like your canopy progression and competition rankings ;)

The best canopy pilot in the world hasn't started jumping yet. He/she is sitting in high school english right now day dreaming about the girl in the third row.

That person will change everything and win big in another 5-7 years.

The best canopy pilot in the world hasn't started jumping yet. He/she is sitting in high school english right now day dreaming about the girl in the third row.

That person will change everything and win big in another 5-7 years.

Can we start calling you 'The Oracle' now?

Can we start calling you 'The Oracle' now?

Well, I do enjoy smoking cigarettes and I think I actually die in the 3rd movie, so sure.:D

Oh, did I mention that the up and coming swooper lives in his mom's basement and has an exit weight around 320lbs jumping a yet to be released X-braced 170sq ft canopy.:D

Who do you all think is the best canopy pilot in the world. When you take away prototype wings etc. If everyone was flying the same wing who would be the best pilot in your opinions. ***

You'll never know exactly who the best really would be, because being the best skydiver in whatever discipline doesn't necessarily mean you're the one with the most raw talent. It often means you're just the one with some talent and the most money or connections.

Bearing this in mind, I think that if that same wing that everyone had to fly was a ragged out stiletto with a broken a-line tied back together and gaffer taped, my vote would be for Donnie Heckel.

Who do you all think is the best canopy pilot in the world. When you take away prototype wings etc. If everyone was flying the same wing who would be the best pilot in your opinions.

WOW a real loaded question.... not that everybody on dropzone has an opinion on everything....

Ok give everybody a small PD Lightning dump out the door and see who's best........i bet there are some old guys out there that would seriously kick arse and leave the younger ones trailing...

Well you did say Pilot... and that is definitely not restricted to Swooping...

Anyway i still say the PD Team are the nuts.... lol

after starting his turn blindman

You mean he does a blindman before he touches a front riser and before he starting his dive? Wow that's either impressive or plum crazy (maybe both!)

If indeed this is what the poster was referring to, initiating a 180 degree line twist prior to executing your hook-turn, in effect doing a blind turn and in fact inducing a malfunction, then depending on the timing he may not have been the first. I know a person who was doing this on a regular basis at Skydive Spaceland when I first started jumping there in '05. Sick shit, you thought he was gonna bite it everytime.

I don't know if anyone did it before then but it certainly is possible.

Technical Disciplines (Distance, Speed and ZA) Jay Moledski, hands down. There is simply no other pilot, in competition, who comes close IMO.

Freestyle - that's open, but my vote would have to go to Jeffro for now although there are some really good up and comers giving him a good run for his money.

Blues,
Ian

I concur on both accounts.

What about the other Canadian JZ who beat Jay at the worlds in 06 AND at the Canadian Nationals 07?
NEVER GIVE UP!

"He/she is sitting in high school english right now day dreaming about the GIRL in the third row."

I think you are right Dave. The best pilot ever is either a dude or a lesbo.:D

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-