Bolas

Ground Launching, SpeedFlying, Bladerunning Etc.

I take off with my rears and fly only risers until i land too.

...speed is what I like 'speed flyng' for so i would rather have a canopy that is not going to kill me when i want some more speed.

the paragliders will 'get it' one day!:D

spoken like a true swooper with a sail cloth canopy ;) ...IMHO the best material for GL wings.

maybe best for a new thread but did anyone see the ad from Ozone in Parachutist for the Bullet...it begs the question if you are not a paraglider, where do you fly besides back country? For example your Aeros canopy would not be allowed in the US at US Paragliding Assc sites, ie The Point in Utah or Torrey Pines in San Diego. The last inquiry at TP resulted that you needed to be an expert paraglider to fly a Bullet. As skydivers/swoopers we know this to be false. Interesting how grey the area is......will they get it someday, really rhys....?

There is some consensus now that speedflying refers to what sydivers call bladerunning and speedriding refers to skiing with small chutes where the intention is to be on the snow much of the time. I come from a background of cross country paragliding and have flown many of the PG style wings. The largest (like the bobcat) are small PG's that can be thermalled and flown XC in stronger winds than ordinary PG. They use very efficient airfoils with a narrow angle of attack range which is why if you pull a front riser they will tuck. Having said that wings such as the Nervures Swoop will roll and dive very steeply in a turn with no probems. The Ozone Bullet and to a lesser extent the Gin Nano were designed to be more roll stable and not dive in the turns or use riser inputs which makes them hard to fly close in except in the small sizes. The Ozone Bombe was an attempt by a PG manufacturer to replicate some of the skydive canopys advantages and uses a fat airfoil with large handles sewn onto the front risers. It is a lot more roll stable than the PG type wings and tends to fly more on pitch and yaw than roll. The fat airfoil is also much less efficient so glide angle is much reduced. It is I suspect the difference in roll stability and pitch control that leads to the different flight profiles mentioned above.

I recently acquired a VX89 that I plan to experiment with when we get a bit more snow here in NZ. It looks like it may be hard to inflate. Anyone have any tips?

Only that the VX is a very high performace wing. You probably wouldn't recommend someone with no pargliding experience to jump onto a Swoop 14 - it'll probably seriously injure them in short order if they make the smallest mistake. (Already seen that in the UK. :( )

Similarly, be really careful with the high performace swooping wings unless you're got a lot of skydiving experience on them. They'll handle very differently than most wings you've probably flown.

Interesting how grey the area is......will they get it someday, really rhys....?

I wa refering to flight charachtaristics rather then red tape politics.

Fortunately in NZ it is reasonably well recieved by the paragliding community (from what I have seen) and there are plenty of sites to choose from.

I would like to see some sort of regulation, but allowing experienced skydivers to use thier canopy experience, paragliders usually do not understand the flight charachtaristics that we are used to, so what seems fast to them is slow to us alot of the time.

Over time they will get it and many more speed flyers will begin swooping parachutes (from planes) in the quest for even more speed.

some purists will palm it off as a fad.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If there's ANYBODY here from Switzerland, please PM me.

VIRGINBURNER, Hausse needs you :D

What info do you need ?

pfffffffffffft! :P

speedriding sucks in sissyland, since you need a paraglider license and additionally, a speedriding one..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

If there's ANYBODY here from Switzerland, please PM me.

VIRGINBURNER, Hausse needs you :D

What info do you need ?

pfffffffffffft! :P

speedriding sucks in sissyland, since you need a paraglider license and additionally, a speedriding one..

OOOOOOOR you could just have balls...