Bolas

Ground Launching, SpeedFlying, Bladerunning Etc.

Ground launching - it's method of foot or ski launching skydiving canopy or special wing small wing.

SpeedFlying - european name of flying with small wings.

BladeRunning - competition discipline, american name, slalom or curving between gates during fly down near slope. Athletes can launch from ground by foot or from snow with ski (SpeedRiding, also european name) and go to gates or jump from aircraft under top of mountian and go to slope gates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hykxzEvq2TM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cflNaqRlIE4

SpeedGliding - also as bladerunning, but it's competition between hang gliders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAiJsUXgknQ

SpeedGlider - european name of small special wing for speedriding or speedflying.
www.speedflying.ru
Mountian Fly School

Thanks. :)

SpeedFlying - european name of flying with small wings.

Is that groud launching specific or does that cover jumping from planes and swooping too?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Not to cover what has already been said by Sysop,

Groundlaunching is a term created by skydivers/parachutists. Speed flying has come more from the Paragliding scene. Paragliding was spawned by Ground Launching ram air parachutes but as its own sport took off in its own direction. (Flying as apposed to a controlled descent). Over the last couple of years there have been many Paragliding manufacturers creating 'Speed Flying' wings that are basically a very similar design to modern parachutes.

Quite an intersting metamorpasis don't you think;)

The term Ground launching is very non specific when you are talking about different Paragliding Disciplines so is only really relevant to skydivers.

And Damn it is fun to do!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Would anyone else besides me like to see a new forum under "related sports" for Groundlaunching/Speedflying? There seems to be a lot of talk about these disciplines here in the swooping and canopy control forum, but I think they are unique enough to warrant a separate forum.

And I know there are other groundlaunching/speedflying forums out there, but I'm referring to here on dz.com so that we can discuss things from a skydiver's perspective.

other than the skis?

Everything has been said, but the skis are actually irrelevant. Regardless of what's on your feet, it's still speedflying. The term was first assigned to those who used small gliders and skis. It has since spread to anyone who foot launches small, fast wings to descend a slope.

It is pretty much all the same but the name will change when ever Jim slaton decides to get creative and change it up... If you want more info on this type of sport go to canopy piloting . com.

There's actually more good information on speedflying / groundlaunching Here than there is on CanopyPiloting... Less self promotion too. ;)

As a skydiver, it's been really useful to talk to the paraglider pilots on there about turbulence, rotors, thermals, set-up and launch techniques. They know more about that side of it than us at the moment...

Love that idea!
Sangiro - pretty pretty please??

Now that I think about it, I don't think this request will do much good buried within a thread within the swooping forum. I'll go post it under Suggestions and Feedback, and see what happens:)

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a post about Groundlaunching/Speedflying Sites in Europe.. There was a listing somewhere where Sites and Guidelines were posted, but I can't find it anymore..
Does anyone have an idea?
Might have been a link to an external site..

Here is a link to a site stating regulations on who is allowed to speedfly and what restrictions are... at least in Switzerland.

http://www.speedriders.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=30
"Bodygolfing" isn't as much fun as it sounds. People get pissed when you don't replace your divets.

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a post about Groundlaunching/Speedflying Sites in Europe.. There was a listing somewhere where Sites and Guidelines were posted, but I can't find it anymore..
Does anyone have an idea?
Might have been a link to an external site..

www.speed-flying.com - No.1 for the worldwide Speed-riding community... ;)

In the process of putting all the location guide info together with world map.

Website also has almost EVERYTHING you need to know about Speed-Riding.... Safety - Instruction/teaching guides - World A-Z of schools. Video links, SF - Wing guide and lots more

check it out B|
http://www.speed-flying.com - No:1 for the worldwide Speed-Riding Community

I had my 3 first successful runs of GL in a ski resort this weekend, and I love it! Skydiving is off course the thing still, but it was incredible how sweet it felt when i lifted off from the slope!

I learned 2 things from these 3 rides. 1) why a small wing is a good thing 2) no wind is best.

The last 2 runs i had slightly crosswind coming from the right, and I had to work a lot to keep my canopy stable and flying. I would not have felt safe under anything larger then a 135 stiletto that I flew Saturday. I and another skydiver(who has done this before, and can mentor me which is very nice of him) tried to day, but the winds where stronger and just not safe.

This shit is sweet! =D

yes I'll try it out more! this was fun.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

A few months ago I bought a Gin Bobcat 16.5 and did some flights in New Zealand. After unsuccessful attempts to launch skydiving canopies with a makeshift harness the Bobcat seems like a gift from God. I would say to anyone who is trying to speedfly anywhere demo some Gin gear and get ready to be hooked. It has an incredible glide ratio and the ground handling is easy. I think it's more fun than flying my velocity.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

A few months ago I bought a Gin Bobcat 16.5 and did some flights in New Zealand. After unsuccessful attempts to launch skydiving canopies with a makeshift harness the Bobcat seems like a gift from God. I would say to anyone who is trying to speedfly anywhere demo some Gin gear and get ready to be hooked. It has an incredible glide ratio and the ground handling is easy. I think it's more fun than flying my velocity.

I have been having interesting conversations with paragliders about this subject,

We were talking about the different flying charachtaristics of wings made by paragliding companies and wings made by parachute companies.

It seems the paragliders are getting better glide with their canopies but they do_not_do front riser turns.

If they do a front riser turn like a skydiver does the wing will frontal collapse and your good time will turn bad.

Speed wings for paragliders are really fast compared to what they are used to, but in terms of what I/we are used to they can be slow.

For me the perfect launch is on a steep mountain, 1000's of feet high with bluff sections to really open up the canopy.

I don't think nanos and other paraglider based speed flying wings are trimmed to do this type of flying?

does anyone have much experience with this?

I will be sticking to parachutes until i 'KNOW' a speed flying wing that will allow me to fly fast!

any inpu would be greatly appreciated.

I still want a GLX as i feel they are the best tool for the job.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Rhys,

I fly an Aeros Ballistic 105 - JVX-ish, and an Ozone Bullet 12 m2
The flight characteristics are worlds apart.

The Bullet is easier to launch in low winds and has a better glide, but rolls far more in turns and damn did for me under 1/2 inch of front riser. Simply DON'T use a front riser on those canopies! They're not even a control input as far as paragliders are concerned. My experiment collapsed half the canopy at low altitude. B|... These canopies use toggles and weightshift.

Alternatively, the Ballistic, from a skydiving design, loves being flown on rear risers and eats up hills. Pretty much the only time I touch the toggles is for takeoff / landing. It's properly quick, without being too twitchy. B|

Having flown with a number of people there seems to be a difference in flying styles that drives these characteristics.
Pilots from a paragliding background take a very direct line down a mountain or hill. It's usually 90 degrees to the slope with the landing point pretty much directly below the launch, but they'll do a large number of very tight, high roll turns down that line. There's a belief that these tight toggle turns are the best way to build speed, which is what they enjoy... obviously, to anyone from a swooping background that sounds like the bad old toggle whipping days...

GL with a skydiving background, on the other hand, tend to cover a much greater lateral distance of the hill at lower altitudes, putting less turns in before landing.

Simply DON'T use a front riser on those canopies! They're not even a control input as far as paragliders are concerned. My experiment collapsed half the canopy at low altitude. Pirate... These canopies use toggles and weightshift.

There's a belief that these tight toggle turns are the best way to build speed, which is what they enjoy... obviously, to anyone from a swooping background that sounds like the bad old toggle whipping days...

yonkle jockies!:D

but seriously, thanks for the input. this conforms my beleifs, as mauch as I would like an esier take off and potenitially would like better glide....

I take off with my rears and fly only risers until i land too.

...speed is what I like 'speed flyng' for so i would rather have a canopy that is not going to kill me when i want some more speed.

the paragliders will 'get it' one day!:D