frost

FLCPA competition schedule announced

One of the most anticipated emails of the year has finally come in! I thought I'd wait for Al to post the details here, but i guess he is still getting the site up to speed. Come on, buddy, get the site up so i dont have to post the quotes here :)

In short, Al Berchtold is now running the FL Canopy Piloting Association. Chris Hayes, the man responsible for creating one of the best canopy piloting leagues in the world, has finally decided to give up professional swooping and skydiving in general in favor of a more simple country life. Him and Michelle have moved back to Canada and are now enjoying some of the best activities Canadian outback has to offer. Chris has recently been seen working as a guide on the bird watching tour. When asked about his skydiving plans, Chris said that he lost interest in it a long time ago and that his true calling was always working with nature and animals. He added, somewhat emotionally, that there is just nothing quite like watching the birds sing...

Yeah, right. :)

Anyway, we're still here and once again the South East CPC is the place to be - with some great coaches for each of the events. If you are getting into competitive canopy piloting, trust me - you will not regret coming down to the South East. I flew from NY for all five comps last season. I cant say enough positive things about my experiences competing there. I have been waiting for the new season to start since the CPC finals in CO.

Here is the schedule and details from the email....

-------------------
Meet #1 Feb 9th- Florida Skydiving Center, Lake Wales - Jay Mo will be coaching!

Meet #2 March 8th- Skydive Palatka, Palatka - Isaiah McCauliffe Team Fastrax

Meet #3 April 12- Skydive Sebastian, Sebastian - Tommy Delibac Team Element

Meet #4 May 17- School of Human Flight, Tallahassee - Scott Roberts Team Fastrax

Meet #5 June 14- Skydive the Farm, Atlanta

The meet schedule will be the same for all the meets, weather permitting for the 2008 season
Registration is open on Friday before the meet
On the competition day there is one mandatory practice load for all people who are showing up on the day of the competition and do not get to practice on the day before. Everyone must make at least one practice jump to see the course before competition.
I'm going to be setting courses up on Friday mornings, so your welcome to come out and practice. And if you want them up earlier...come help me out and lend a hand!
Competition day
All times are approximate
8 am registration opens
9 am practice load
9:45 Competitor briefing
10:30 Competition begins
------------------

More details can be found at http://www.cpafl.org/

Bird watching in Canada eh? I am definately going to look into that :) Sounds relaxing, not to mention the free health care....

You guys and gals have a good and safe season. I'll be watching the results and hope to come out to the meets as a participant this year for fun instead of as the organizer.

Thanks to everyone of you for your support with the league over the years and thanks for participating.
Remember, no competitors, no competitions.

Thanks for the email and post. I got tired of checking the website...I will try to make the back three. I doubt I can get current enough for Feb/March meets. [:/]...NY has to represent and even if I execute less than stellar, at least there's another Yank in the mix.

Bird watching in Canada eh? I am definately going to look into that :) Sounds relaxing, not to mention the free health care....

You guys and gals have a good and safe season. I'll be watching the results and hope to come out to the meets as a participant this year for fun instead of as the organizer.

Thanks to everyone of you for your support with the league over the years and thanks for participating.
Remember, no competitors, no competitions.

chris, thanks for everything you have done.

I know for a fact that you are responsible for bringing up some of the TOP canopy pilots in the world..

don't forget that.!:)
p.s.
don't tell Al my tricks, he is green and needs to learn the hard way.;)

Thanks Mark

For the people who have been here flying parachutes with us here in the Southeast
over the last 5 years, they have some idea of what has happened here.

Something special happened and it is hard to explain. It's one of those things that is hard to put into words unless you were here.

I will cherish these years and experiences and people for the rest of my life.

thanks again

Bird watching in Canada eh?

Not sure about the birds. But if Chris is back in Ontario, I suspect he will be watching a whole lot of snow on the ground before it even begins to melt.

I know these are just words, but I should seriously look into getting my sorry frozen Canadian ass down to one of those FL swoop comps this coming season. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Bird watching in Canada eh?

Not sure about the birds. But if Chris is back in Ontario, I suspect he will be watching a whole lot of snow on the ground before it even begins to melt.

I know these are just words, but I should seriously look into getting my sorry frozen Canadian ass down to one of those FL swoop comps this coming season. B|

can you still swoop steve?

Well Chris, I had a feeling this would be coming. Five years is a long time so let me first thank you for opening the door as you have. Had it not been for the Southeast CPC, I don't know if I would have fallen in love with swooping and then decided to invest in that side of skydiving. Having it so close to home and having such amazing people to work with made it all worth while. The SE region has grown into my extended family thanks to all your efforts.....but I've got to give the "guys" props too because due to there drive and passion and there appreciation for what you put together, the SE continued to grown and I like to think of us as one big happy family!

You ran the show like no other but change is good - It keeps things fresh and I think Al will do a really good job....we'll definitely make him earn his way though because you know how demanding we've become with wanting courses set up for extra practice days, etc.

2007 was a big year for me with my progression but it wrapped up with quite an eye opener yet I think I will always love flying my wing and therefore will always look to promote things in the SE for my own selfish benefit. Thanks again for everything Chris and I look forward to flying with you again some time soon. All the best to you and Michelle on your new adventure. Can I come visit in Canada? Seriously!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and great big hugs!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Thanks Mark

For the people who have been here flying parachutes with us here in the Southeast
over the last 5 years, they have some idea of what has happened here.

Something special happened and it is hard to explain. It's one of those things that is hard to put into words unless you were here.

I will cherish these years and experiences and people for the rest of my life.

thanks again

it is not all that hard to explain chris.

someone (you) with a passion, drive and a focus. went after a dream and brought a bunch of others with him....

I could not thank you enough.:)
I will buy you a beer on our next meeting.;)

can you still swoop steve?

Could I ever swoop? Haha ... smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors. :)

Back on topic, sure other regions produce some good talent. But the SE breeds the best swoopers. There must be something in the water down there, or the beer since they have no water with their drought.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Come on Chris, leave the birds for a few days and come down for Feb 9th to Lake Wales to warm up for the next season. :P

I booked my tix for that weekend, flying down just like i did a year ago. But at least this time i wont be a total noob to the FL swoop scene and Loud Dan wont laugh at me when i ask him "Are you Chris Hayes?" :D

I'll be attending the following, supporting the local CPC - besides, it's good practice :)
Meet #1 Feb 9th- Florida Skydiving Center, Lake Wales

Meet #2 March 8th- Skydive Palatka, Palatka

Meet #5 June 14- Skydive the Farm, Atlanta (Al, if you need some help here, PM me)

See you there.

Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

it is not all that hard to explain chris.

someone (you) with a passion, drive and a focus. went after a dream and brought a bunch of others with him....

I could not thank you enough.:)
I will buy you a beer on our next meeting.;)

Ditto! Perfectly said, Shimell.

Chris, despite all my bitching and protesting, I had a blast with you and the FLCPA and all the crazy swoopers - thank you for all that! And thanks for being such a good example of just what Mark said - your passion, drive and focus is second to none and I admire you more than you'll know for it.

Good luck to you and Michelle - and good luck to Al! He's got huge shoes to fill.:)
Blue Skies Mag

Lara. Lara did more for the league than most people know. She really did hours and hours of work on the spread sheet to get it what it is today. And she travelled around with us and helped as a judge. The judges are the people who really make these things happen. I always swooped and the judges are the ones who stay on the ground and measure how far we go or mark where we land and then enter it all in the spread sheets.
Thanks to you Lara

Might as well mention some other people at this point.

It all started one day in DeLand when Edson Pachecco said to me, "Hey why don't you organize a competition?" And so we did. Edson helped me in the begining. Thanks to Edson...
And then one day, Justin Thorton comes up to me and says "Hey, why don't you start a league?" And so we did. And Justin Thorton and Ian Bobo and I came up with the whole FLCPA format. The amount of competitions, the cost of membership, the league format, how many jumps per comp....The whole thing. The very first members were Gus Wing and Rickster Powell. I still have their membership cards....with signatures on them.
And then it began.. and these people and more have helped out and this whole thing would not have been possible without every single one of these people. And I know I will forget some.
Danielle Ford
Richard Schacner
Jennifer Leiras
Junior Silva
Robin Miller
Roy Annonsen
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir
Shannon Pilcher
Jay Moledzki
Kim Postishule (sorry Kim)
Dorrice
Laticia
Lara
Tom Dellibac
all the members in 04 that contributed to the league
Paul Roussouw
Brian McNenney
Scott Roberts
Ian Drennan
Mark Shimell
Ray Dutch
Joey Day
Tyler Lawson
All these guys and more came out to support and swoop even though we were changing rules at each meet.
etc.
etc.
There were many more volunteer judges that helped out on the day of the comps

Who else was there?.

It was a special time for everyone involved and it was alot of fun....