stevomooo

HP turn heights

Hi everyone.
I'm interested to hear, from the very experienced canopy pilots, what height you typically start your turn. Especially the guys flying JVX's. I have read on Jim's website that the ideal turn height on a loaded jvx, for a 270, is around 850. I don't think that seems right, I've tried that height and it takes about 8 seconds under my jvx at 2.4. He says that for hybrid and sail its even higher....

I fly a jvx 89 loaded at 2.4.
Typical turn is a 270, about 700 feet, at sea level.

Hi Steve,

I have the same canopy and loading as you. I like to turn about 700 feet give or take. I felt like much higher than that and the canopy would loose speed before the gate. I think rest of the NZ team are turning about that height too. Everyone has their own techniques and style but 850 does sound pretty high.

Hi everyone.
I'm interested to hear, from the very experienced canopy pilots, what height you typically start your turn. Especially the guys flying JVX's. I have read on Jim's website that the ideal turn height on a loaded jvx, for a 270, is around 850. I don't think that seems right, I've tried that height and it takes about 8 seconds under my jvx at 2.4. He says that for hybrid and sail its even higher....

I fly a jvx 89 loaded at 2.4.
Typical turn is a 270, about 700 feet, at sea level.

Turn height is greatly effected by where your at, In Florida I usualy start my turn at about 810 ft on a velo 90 or 96, but when I jump in Indianna I bump that up to 890 ft, in Perris I upped it to 910 ft, and added 80 ft to that in Colorado. The air density, altitude of the dz and other factors change your canopy flight. Also in Florida my turn height changes on hot muggy summer days and cool crisp winter days. That said you can modify your turn for different conditions, to roll out of your dive faster or loose less altitude while turning.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Most people fly to their setup point in brakes and the maneuver starts when they release the brakes. I say "maneuver" rather than "turn" because some people go right into the turn while others go full flight or dive with double front risers first. Using that definition then 850 feet sounds about right for my 270. If you look at my runs in the following video I let up on my brakes at 850 to 900 feet. I'm flying a zero-p JVX 90 at about 2.35 wing loading.

http://www.sundered.org/cpc/pst2007_championships.mp4

And what about different turn techniques?
How do you compare your 270° turing technique on the velo and on the JVX.
I have just transitioned from the velo to the JVX but do not understand if I have to keep the same type of 270 or if I have to radically change it.
Help would be appreciated ;)

I think you will find that the JVX has more of a positive recovery arc than a Velo. It takes some technique to keep it in a dive and not pull out of your dive early.

This does not mean that you should start your 270 lower on a JVX. Trust me keep it above 750'. You will need to develope a new style with setting up and executing turns with the JVX. That's the biggest complaint I hear from Velo pilots.

I personally go into half Brakes for setup, go to double fronts and start my harness turn, I slowly let up on my outside riser, then ease out of my inside riser and follow through with my harness. I found this series of manuevers keeps me in my turn until I want to come out of my dive. I'll use altitude and rears to come out of my dive.

Took me a good 50 jumps to start dialing in my style on the JVX. Be patient.

You will need to develope a new style with setting up and executing turns with the JVX. That's the biggest complaint I hear from Velo pilots.

I personally go into half Brakes for setup, go to double fronts and start my harness turn, I slowly let up on my outside riser, then ease out of my inside riser and follow through with my harness. I found this series of manuevers keeps me in my turn until I want to come out of my dive. I'll use altitude and rears to come out of my dive.

Took me a good 50 jumps to start dialing in my style on the JVX. Be patient.

I'll follow your suggestions and keep calm and patient. I like the JVX but is a bit frustrating at times. I get consistent longer swoops than on a Velo but I feel I am way from doing a good turn!!
Thanks

I think it is best to start low and see how it goes. Then raise the starting height of your turn if you find that you are too low.

What about the other way round where you start off high and adjust downwards first by changing technique (making it dive longer) before deciding to decrease height? Its safer and gives you more time to dive the canopy? Cant be a bad thing can it? (just my own 2 cents)