smkdvr628

swooping with a sabre 2

Just wondering what is a good canopy to learn how to swoop with. Is a sabre 2 loaded 2 1.4:1 a good place to start?

Sabre 2 is a great canopy for swooping. It's performance range is huge -- you can learn to swoop on it and eventually shred the hell out of it. 1.4 is a decent loading, but I recommend you double the jump numbers you have listed in your profile before moving up to that loading. And get all the advice and coaching you can get at your home DZ. Have fun!

Just wondering what is a good canopy to learn how to swoop with. Is a sabre 2 loaded 2 1.4:1 a good place to start?

The Sabre2 is an awesome canopy to start swooping with, it has a decent recovery arc and it can be flown VERY high performance, even at the wingloading you are looking at.

I went close to coast to coast on our pond numerous times on both my Sabre2 150s as well as my Sabre2 135s (our pond is about 200ft when its full)

Have fun and be safe!

This was with my Sabre2 150
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=40343;

and here's one on my Sabre2 135:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=58988;

if your profile is correct, you can swoop with your current 170. I would start messin with it and then as you get better take it further and further. Then when it does not really scare you to bring it in hot, start doing hp downwinds until it does not really scare you anymore. If you can do that your skill will improve two folds and your step down to a 150 won't feel like to much of a step at all. Canopies are like motorcycles you can kill yourself on a 50cc mini trail or kill yourself on a 1000cc crotch rocket, chances are much less on the 50 though. If you cannot pretty well do all of the suggested on a 170, at your loading you are not helping yourself to downsize.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I started learning to swoop on a Saber2 170 @ 1.3. I didn't start learning to swoop till I had around 150 jumps on that canopy though.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Sabre II is definately the way to go, however don't think for a second that you can't do yourself harm because it is a Sabre II. If your intention is to explore canopy flight/ high performance canopy flight please do yourself a favor and take whatever canopy you are currently flying and attend several canopy courses find Scott Miller, seek out the Fast Trax folks, contact Ian Drennan who is a moderator for this forum, take some basic or essentials courses from the PD guys. DO NOT try to figure it all out on your own, in the long run you will spend more money and you can seriousl injur/ kill yourself. I know there are some die hards that say you should never pay for coaching.....put that out of your head, you want to explore a discipline with very narrow margins that provides extremely high personall reward, do it right.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I am learning how to swoop on a Sabre 2 at 1.4, and I love it. It seems like the perfect amount of dive and speed for someone learning to swoop. Last weekend I was able to take it through a 150 foot course with a 90.

I've demoed a lot of canopies, Katana, Crossfire, Cobalt, Samurai, Stiletto, etc. and my next canopy will most likely be another Sabre 2.

Sabre II is definately the way to go, however don't think for a second that you can't do yourself harm because it is a Sabre II. If your intention is to explore canopy flight/ high performance canopy flight please do yourself a favor and take whatever canopy you are currently flying and attend several canopy courses find Scott Miller, seek out the Fast Trax folks, contact Ian Drennan who is a moderator for this forum, take some basic or essentials courses from the PD guys. DO NOT try to figure it all out on your own, in the long run you will spend more money and you can seriousl injur/ kill yourself. I know there are some die hards that say you should never pay for coaching.....put that out of your head, you want to explore a discipline with very narrow margins that provides extremely high personall reward, do it right.

Best advice I've seen in this thread. I second Dan's comments - all of them.

J
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Is a sabre 2 loaded 2 1.4:1 a good place to start?

I agree with several of the above posts... Sabre2 is a great canopy to learn to swoop with. I also agree that your current W/L of 1.2ish is high enough to start learning.

I jump a Sabre2, and without weights I'm about 1.3:1. PLENTY of swoop; even at that relatively light loading I can hit 200' on a good day.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I try. I just want this person to do well, I've heard way too many people incorrectly state that because a canopy is lightly loaded or "big" it (the canopy) will save a pilot from injury. This is just not true, the pilot flying the canopy will save the pilot from injury.

Something that a lot of people don't think about when downsizing canopies (even just one size) is not only does the canopy fly/ respond faster.......malfunctions happen faster, the ground comes at you faster, and if you have to land in someones postage stamp back yard due to an emergency bailout you run out of space faster.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!