freeflyer2k

RDS and Removable Sliders

Hi I have a Velo 103 and was looking for
your opinions are the best systems/ manufacturers..
I'd like a full RDS system but for now a good removable slider is what im really concerend with.

Piccies and prices if ya got em please ;)
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Dan,

I still think Mel/Joe's system is a good one. At the time I moved over, Mel and Joe were using cabling through the center of the RDS - this was great at first, but over time the memory of the cables caused quirky openings. That said, I believe they have gone back to line in the center of the RDS.

I find the extra attachment points do increase packtime, but only marginally, on the PEA system.

The rings on the new system are VERY nice and well machined better, imo, than any other ones I've seen out there.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

The Paraconcepts and PEAEngineering models look almost the same... (mainly because of a lack of detailed photos to see the small differences)

you know what i find interesting is that it takes a while to get a patent on anything and the PEA RDS has that, which kind of tells me that Scott or who ever put a lot of time into it. but wasn't it just last year that paraconcepts had those plastic RDS's? and now they have almost identical RDS's to PEA? i don't know maybe it's me, but that seems wierd.

On this french website, you can see some pictures of my RDS which I got from Mel in March 2007:
http://wuza.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16975

I'm very happy with it, I like the lines in the middle because I only need one hand to grab the slider (the other hand is used to unzip my jumpsuit) and they facilitate the quartering of the slider.

Cool Thanks those are usefull pics

OK Change of subject
anybody had their removable slider malfunction in anyway ??
i know the bag etc would be the most common cause of mals with RDS's but im interested in how those slider designs may fail
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

The Paraconcepts and PEAEngineering models look almost the same... (mainly because of a lack of detailed photos to see the small differences)

you know what i find interesting is that it takes a while to get a patent on anything and the PEA RDS has that, which kind of tells me that Scott or who ever put a lot of time into it. but wasn't it just last year that paraconcepts had those plastic RDS's? and now they have almost identical RDS's to PEA? i don't know maybe it's me, but that seems wierd.

the interesting thing about design patents (which would be what he is most likely applying for having worked in the business...)

is that all they have to do is change something in a small way proving that their design improves on the other design and hisa patent will mean squat.

Unless he goes and patents the idea of RDS's it wont help him at all

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Cool Thanks those are usefull pics

OK Change of subject
anybody had their removable slider malfunction in anyway ??
i know the bag etc would be the most common cause of mals with RDS's but im interested in how those slider designs may fail

Hi performance canopies, high performance openings!!!

I had 2 mal's last week with 2 different full RDS on. I found out that my packer was doing a mess with the connection cable.
BTW I love Joe & MEL's removable

On this french website, you can see some pictures of my RDS which I got from Mel in March 2007:
http://wuza.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16975

I'm very happy with it, I like the lines in the middle because I only need one hand to grab the slider (the other hand is used to unzip my jumpsuit) and they facilitate the quartering of the slider.

Does anyone know where you can buy those rings?
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I currently use the slider from PEA Engineering and am very happy with it. It works great, I've had 2 somewhat unperfect openings over the last 2 years(500+ jumps) with it due to packing error on my part(complacent and misrouted the lanyard, stupid me). Suprisingly still managed to run the course during competition. Scott has been available and handled any customer issues I've had(and boy do I have issues;-). Timely responses to emails, available to customers, and competitive price. I'd buy a third, but what the heck would I need a third slider for?!?!?

Al
Watch out for planters.

Check out Kirk at Paraconcepts system. I just got one for my Neos 104 and it is really nice. He has new fully machined rings and his slider geomotry is second to none.

any contacts for him ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Does anyone know where you can buy those rings?***

A friend of mine gave me one from his removeable slider, and wanted me to duplicate it for him. The one he gave me was aluminum and had clearly seen the effects of it's high speed trips down the lineset. His main complaint was the aluminum dust on his lines. Although weight is often a consideration in any component intended for use in aviation, I think aluminum is a poor choice for this application. I can make them out of stainless steel, and intend to for my friend, but I am interested in seeing any patents before producing any on a large scale. Additionally, I have only seen this one example, so someone may already be making them from stainless.

Sorry if this isn't much immediate help, but if no one is making them out of stainless yet, and I can legally do so, I will probably start. Aluminum just aint cool for slider grommets or rings.

i have both aluminum and stainless from multiple creators and prefer the stainless. both types of aluminum rings float up my risers when flying in full flight and coming out of a front riser dive. i've also accidently grabbed the ring instead of the rear riser when it floated up and had to switch hand position when i was in my roll-out. changes the opening characterics a little bit too i've noticed. i've had one RDS set-up with aluminum rings for over 2 years now and it's still going strong, no knicks or abbrassiveness to it.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down