marktether

Pilotchute size for the Velo 90/75

Hi all

I am wondering if any one can give me any advice on the prefered pilot chute size for the Velo 90 & 75. i currently have a 30 inch one which i think keeps assisting in some horrific openings. I may be wrong on this, as my rigger tells me it may be my packing, however i never had this problem for years and my friend has a 26 inch one on the velo 90 and never seems to have this problem. We pack exactly the same. i use the canopys for general use, hop and pops and up to terminal. Does any one have any valuable advice before i break my neck.

Mark
mark tether

This is a tough one to answer. You are going to have to try different sizes and see if any of it fixes your problem. I would probably hold on to the 30" for hop n pops, and go to a 26" for terminal jumps. But you will have to find out for yourself what works for you. Ask around and see how your pack job on the velo compares to others who get good openings. It could also be that you have that odd velo that just has personality issues. Later.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

All velos aren't the same.
I had one 90 that I could just throw in the bag, and then I had another that liked the outer cells rolled into the center.
The one I have now opens a little too slow.
I would reccomend packing differently before purchasing different pilot chutes.

Also, how many jumps are on your lines? it may be time for a reline.

Hope this helps
my power is beyond your understanding.

It's not your pilot chute.

Prove it to yourself, and puts your buddy's Velo in your rig, and see what happens. If he's a real pal, he'll hook yours up in his rig get the shit beat out of him for an afternoon.

Your canopy opens like shit. Check that the slider is the big one, and that it's the right size. Call PD for the dimensions.

If that checks out, get a reline. Tell PD about the problem, and ask them to jump it after the reline to make sure everything is right.

Your pilot chute will make a huge difference in how your parachute opens.

Different size and fabric pilot chutes contribute to the overall opening characteristics of all sizes and models of parachutes.

A 28" F 111 pilot chute will give you the best overall openings on all Velo sizes and almost all other sport parachutes too.

Some people promote bigger pilot chutes for bigger parachutes because they think you need more drag to deploy a bigger parachue because it weighs more.

A 28" F 111 pilot chute will give you softer and more consistent openings with better overall heading control

Hay Mark,
If you’re referring to me as the ‘buddy’, I’ll let you use my canopy with you PC anytime.
We measured my PC at 28”not 26”.

To let others know I have a velo 90 with 300 jumps on the original line set and a ZP 28” PC . I fold the end cells inwards next to the slider and only use microcline rubber bands. My openings are comfortably slow.

I’d be inclined to go with the advice from Chris Hayes for your next step.
See you on the weekend…
Bish

Guys

Cheers, i have now adopted a new approach. i have been told by another pro swooper to bring the pilot chute full out to the front. As you no bish i have 10 good ones at terminal. then within 1/2 secs of letting the PC go i have a full canopy above. the last time i was seeing stars, and nearly promised to burn the canopy. Im going to try another 26inch pilot chute, i also have my rigger making me a 23inch (small i know). I will have another look at my packing and get in touch with PD. Maybe i have the bitch of Velos and i am about at the 280-300 on the lines. any way cheers guys it looks like i will do sub terminals until then.

Thanks Mark.

Bish wont see you sat, day of and on a demo.

Safe skies.
mark tether

Check that the slider is the big one, and that it's the right size. Call PD for the dimensions.

As far as I know, all stock velos come with the same slider size.
Could someone who knows better please verify?
Once I wanted to put a slider from the 96/90 velo on my 103 to get faster openings on hop`n pops I was told that the sliders on velos are all the same size from 84up to 103sqft. Now I usually ask the pilot to add 20 knots on 3000ft hop`'n pops.

Lars

As you no bish i have 10 good ones at terminal. then within 1/2 secs of letting the PC go i have a full canopy above. the last time i was seeing stars, and nearly promised to burn the canopy. Im going to try another 26inch pilot chute, i also have my rigger making me a 23inch (small i know).

I use a Cazer 24" ZP kill line with my Cobalt 135. You can get it from square1.com . I've read somewhere that even 22" ZP PC would be enough for a sub 120sqft canopy.