SirHoytalot

Ground Launching?

Is any one in SLC Utah area ground launching?

I went out Sat. morning to a Big hill Behind my house with my Alpha 145 Loaded at 1.3, the wind was at a steady 10-15 and gusting higher. after many failed atemps i finaly got the canopy over my head and it immediatly took up and back down to the ground dragging me for oh 50ft. luckly i maneged to survive with just a skined knee. my next atempt was much more successfull i got off the ground and was able to correct my fist prblem with a rear riser and i shot up in the air about 30ft flew for a while and swooped and landed in a sage bush. it was great just as good a BASE my first passion. to windy for BASE time to ground launch. I need some that knows what there doing to help me and call 911 if needed.
I spit in deaths eye on a regular basis

the wind was at a steady 10-15 and gusting higher. after many failed atemps i finaly got the canopy over my head and it immediatly took up and back down to the ground dragging me for oh 50ft.

When the winds are getting strong, you need to kite the canopy outside of the harness first. If you are having trouble doing this, then you should not be in the harness.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I didnt have any trouble kiteing the canopy the next atempt with me in the harness. My main reason for the post was to find people in my area that have some experience ground launching. I dont really like to be taught how to do something over some forum.
I spit in deaths eye on a regular basis

My main reason for the post was to find people in my area that have some experience ground launching.

Perfectly understandable and maybe you should have just keep to your original sentence of:
"Is any one in SLC Utah area ground launching?"

I dont really like to be taught how to do something over some forum.

I assure you I am not about to begin to try and explain how to configure your gear, how to do forward and rear launches and where not to launch from based on weather conditions and terrain. But when someone tells us that they were dragged 50 feet, skinned their knees, immediately shot up 30 feet on their next attempt and proceeded to land in some bushes ... well you may not want to listen, but maybe someone else out there might. In strong'ish winds the first thing you do is attempt to kite outside of the harness. I was taught this when I took formal Ground Launch training from one of the sport's prioneers.

Ground Launching is an incredible experience and Utah is bound to have some great terrain. But it not safe and the smart thing to do is to seek formal training instead of looking for some weekend warrior mentor. You may find someone who knows what they are doing, or you may find one who gives you improper advice and uses poor judgment. Personally I like the idea of seeking formal training from one of the sport's pioneers.

Good Luck ... Ground Launching Rocks ... but it is not safe ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over