billvon

Safire2/Crossfire2

Could someone comment on the snivel time of the safire2? I'm trying to evaluate if the 1K+ snivels are simply too great if you are doing events that require you to pull at 2.5K or 2K.

Found some other threads as well but it seemed to not be as specific as this one, hence posting here.

Thanks!
-Patrick

I do events that want me to pull no higher than 2500. A 1000-foot snivel is about 500 feet past excessive, and about 700 feet past what I like.

You have to know whether you need to know if you need to execute your emergency procedures by your decision altitude. If you canopy won't allow you to do that, then you need a different canopy for those events.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>I'm trying to evaluate if the 1K+ snivels are simply too great . . . .

I have never seen a Safire snivel for "1K+" feet. The Safire 109's I've jumped have opened more reliably than my Crossfire 109, and in considerably less than 1000 feet.

Keep in mind that the time it takes your canopy to open is time from PC release to slider coming down - NOT the time from the last time you look at your altimeter in freefall to the first time you look at it under canopy.

[reply Keep in mind that the time it takes your canopy to open is time from PC release to slider coming down - NOT the time from the last time you look at your altimeter in freefall to the first time you look at it under canopy.

LOL!! I'll bet a few peeps out there measure that way....I know I used to back in the day and boy did I have a sniveler of a Sabre 1...:$

Hi ,
I use mine ( a Saf 1-119 ) even with my V1 and it is just right . Never a Twist or a big delay ( usually I get a 150 meters snivel ) . Worse, during packing , I don't roll the tail ( same as my FX104 ) at all and the opening is just fast and soft . I do love this canopy ( and it can be a beast too if you know how to use the tool )
Blue skies
Chris

Thanks guys!

Will demo and take careful notes this weekend. The last I jumped a Safire 2 was about 2 years ago (with a lot less jumps [not that i have any more significant of a number today]) and looking up during deployment it felt forever before the sniveling stopped and the slider was down (slider was not stuck, I know what that looks like from flying Sabre2 170's)
-Patrick

Jumped a Safire2 169 from SQ1 this weekend for 10 jumps. As Bill said, it seems to open like most other canopies.

I did have the slider hang up 3/4 the way up on 2 or 3 jumps which required coxing down. So in those cases by Bill's definition it took 900 feet to open. :P

Bill I think I keep running past you here and there in the packing area. I'll say hi next time.

Flare was as responsive as I remembered as well.

-Patrick

>I can't believe the safire2 holds in the dive longer . . .

I couldn't believe it either - but it was confirmed by two other jumpers, one of whom does 270's on most jumps. (comparing the safire2 109 to the crossfire2 109.)

What altitude did they start their 270 ?

With a 109 XF2 @ 1.8ish I start from 550ft (medium trunrate)

I've jumped a Safire 2 159 @ ~1.35 (~250 jumps) and now am jumping a xf2 139 @ ~1.58 (~100 jumps). My experience has been the safire 2 had lighter front riser pressure but a shorter recovery arc than the xf2. I can harness turn my xf2 but couldn't do to much with the safire.

I get slightly worried that some may take the xf2/safire2 discussions as the xf2 is suitable as a replacement for a safire2. It is not. The xf2 is much more responsive to inputs and can put you into the ground quickly.

Carry onB|

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Agreed! Just because a canopy has a short recovery arc doesn't mean it is suitable for inexperinced pilots. The stilleto has a very short recovery arc, but the doesn't make you immune from killing yourself under one.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

650-700 for a 270 on a crossfire 2 109 at 1.9

And when technique was right it took quite some time to get to comeout naturally...of course not as much as my velo
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

650-700 for a 270 on a crossfire 2 109 at 1.9

Ok.. In this post you say 600-650 :P (just kiddin)

But it seems ranch is a bit above sea level so it makes sense..

Somehow I think if starting from the MAX altitude it means you have to nail the turnrate 100% or you will end up a little high..

And no one wants to be too high.. :D:P

But seriously, If you leave a little bit room left for the recovery you still have some "play room" if it seems you turned too fast and you wont end up high this way so often..

To me this seems important with XF2 since, I have found that when my XF2 wants to plane out it planes out. Watching the big boys swoop with velos it seems the angle remains quite steep even after the riser pressure builds up to the max. (VX seems more similar to XF2 in this way)

These are just my observations watching other people fly CB canopies, so please correct me if Im mistaken here.. I will gladly learn more