ianmdrennan

CPC Injury Colorado

Sunny Dee did botch a landing yesterday in practice from what I heard and is not competing today. I don't think she is broken but she is hanging out at the pond today so I'm sure it isn't to bad and I'm sure she is smiling!

Dee asked me to let everyone know how she was. She went to the hospital last night and was x-rayed. She has broken her pelvis on the left side with a stable fracture - any shifts could put her in traction so she is on bed rest for a week. After that she will be walking with a cane. She also has a small crack in her foot but it is minor. No surgery is required on either break. At this time the recovery time is unknown, but she has been told at least 2 months.

For those who saw the accident I think we can all agree that the injuries could have been a lot worse.

Heal fast Dee (and post X-rays) :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Sorry, in cleaning up the thread a few posts were left behind in the original thread. Apologies to Piahenzi and Tetra316

piahenzi wrote

I saw the Dee's hit - Mike Shatalov has it on video. Very reminiscent of the Ranch Pond Swoop hit we had a few weeks ago....nothing broken - miraculously...I had one that was very much the same myself last year. Soft ground and final landing in the pond saved me from any real damage. Been scared off the rears ever since. Not back on them yet which bums me out but I hope to get over the mental hurdle soon

tetra316 wrote:

Can I ask what happened? Why did she end up hitting?

It appeared to be bad judgement. The pond is 300' x 150' so it's kind of hard to miss it by accident. She was apparently trying to avoid getting wet which put her low and over the dirt. A better option would have been to swoop over the pond and carve out to the side if it didn't look like she was going to make it out.

Agreed Dan. I spoke at length to Dee and one of the topics we covered was exactly what you mentioned. Level out, then carve off to a side. If you get wet, no biggie - gear dries faster than bones heal.

Still, that said, it amazes me how many people I see (at my home DZ) that would rather hit the bank of the pond at 20 mph than get a little wet. Makes no sense at all, but people do the strangest things sometimes. [:/]

Blues,
Ian

Still, that said, it amazes me how many people I see (at my home DZ) that would rather hit the bank of the pond at 20 mph than get a little wet. Makes no sense at all, but people do the strangest things sometimes. [:/]

yup! I set up too close to the bank, especially for a slightly downwind approach, and smaked the bank. It resulted in the pic shown below and a special entry into the "Post your hot swoop x-ray" thread.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Believe me, I have beaten myself up more than you know over this. It was a series of bad judgement (or mistakes) on my part. But I will heal and I WILL be back.

Mistake #1 - Was going to swoop the side of the pond instead of the middle cause didn't want to get wet. STUPID IDEA.

Mistake #2 - Took my turn up 100' but did not allow that adjustment to follow me through to the plane out. I KNOW things dive longer out there.....

Mistake #3 - Not trusting myself enough to know I can fly and remembering that the pond is there for safety.

I feel very fortunate yet now sit in judgement on myself but it is a learning experience......a hard one but I will learn and I will be back. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I feel very fortunate yet now sit in judgement on myself but it is a learning experience......a hard one but I will learn and I will be back. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.

Trust me Dee after my rear riser stall crash in '05 two huge lessons were learned:

1) There is more to life than swooping.
2) Do not try to make it through the entire speed carving course on rears.

I hope to see you get back on the horse once you are all healed up. One of the worst things to happen to an injured swooper is to have doubts in our minds. We can do this, we just need to focus 100% on the task at hand. The margin for error in our sport is very small.

Sending more get well vibes to SunnyDee.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I had a little skip last weekend too, that when replayed in my head was a series of small errors in judgement that added up to a sore hip, knee, foot and compression fractured T5 vertebrae.
Sounds like, as was my case, it could have been alot worse and you have learned from it. I am happy to have walked away and greatful to have learned a lesson without too serious of consequence.

Heal fast,
Craig

Hey Dee,

Guess I'm a little late here (haven't been on in a while), but hope you heal fast, and don't feel you need to continue to beat yourself up for the next couple months. Negativity won't get you far.

Looking forward to competing with you next year!

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!