rhys

Built in turn, is it me or my harness?

So I have a built in turn to the left.

about 1500 jumps ago I first discovered it with the heatwave 120 I was jumping. Everyone said it was the canopy and I believed them. Then I got my Crossfire 109, the turn was a little more noticeable. Still they said it was the canopy. Then I got an fx89 the turn was still there and more noticeable and with my JVX84 it is even more so.

When the brakes are still set it is not there but as soon as I release the brakes there it goes.

Part of my routine is to loosen the left legstrap untill it flys straight and away I go. I do plan on getting a new harness in the short future but I am wondering if it is my body or the harness?

Does anyone have some sort of experiment to determine what it is? having 4 canopies with the same built in turn seems to be the least likely scenario and the harness apears to be symmetrical.

anyone got any help.

Once landed the legstraps are most definately not even but it is flying straight?!?!?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Shift your package to the right side. The added weight of your sack will offset teh turn causing it to fly straight.:D Also check to see if your leg straps are the same length byt undoing them from the friction adaptor and measuring them from the leg strap attachment point on the harness. Then measure the lift webs to ensure they are the same. Check your risers too as they may stretch over time. If the rig got wet and dryed unevenly then it could have shrunk unevenly. You can try to wash it again and hang it up so that it dry's evenly. Ensure that you have equal size links on the risers and try to sit very straight up in the harness. You could have developed some bad habits on less loaded canopies and are just now realizing them. If all else fails then you should upsize and buy my 89 jvx. Best of luck dude.

hook the canopy up to a different container. if it still does it then it is most likely the canopy.

sometimes the leg strap can be a tiny bit off and the lift web slightly off and the riser slightly longer and all of this combined with a highly loaded aggrassive wing will result in a built in turn.

or it could be the canopy.

I'm surprised that it's more noticeable when the brakes are released, as its been my experience that elliptical canopies are more responsive to harness input when in deployment brakes.

Under canopy, have you checked that the three rings are level with each other? Have you tried swapping out the risers? (If you need a spare set to try this with, PM me & I'll post you a set of spares).

You may get a bunch more useful answers in the Gear & Rigging forum...

edit: Do you do your legstraps up to the same length or the same tension? My right leg is thicker than my left (years of soccer), so if I do the legstraps up to the same length, I get a built-in turn. If I do them up to the same tension, all is fine.

Stu had the exact same experience with his JVX last year. That said, since it's been a recurring issue with prior canopies I think Paul has the right idea and that you should hook up the canopy to another rig (dont even use the same risers) and see if it still has that issue - if not at least you can start narrowing down the cause on your rig.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

have someone else jump it to see if they notice the same thing.

like ian said i had the same experience last year, after talking to jyro he stated that left hand built in turns are the most common built in turn because of how the canopy is sewn together.

in the end the built in left hand turn was the least of my problems.

good luck...
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Sweet, cheers guys. My main concern at the moment is getting as many jumps as I can over the next few days before the world cup. I will try all these things you have all mentioned.

The risers are new, the rig has been wet, I'm a snowboarder so my left leg is stronger than my right one so I guess I have some experimenting to do.

I guess it beats being bored though.

On the brighter side, now that I am more current the JVX is staring to sing!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

could it be that your risers are old and battered and out of trim??? I had a set of risers do that to me after 500 jumps swapped em for a new set and bingo...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Try it as Paul described with another rig and risers. If you are still getting the turn, have someone jump your rig but don't tell them about the turn. Just give them instructions to open and fly it straight for 15-20 seconds hands off with brakes set and then repeat with brakes released. Sometimes a subtle turn is hard to detect but becomes more apparent when you direct the attention to something unrelated that's really not there. Tell someone you hear something weird and get them to fly it straight but hands off and maybe go with them and watch. Often they might come down and describe that they never heard that odd whistle you told them to look for but they might report a built in turn...