stevomooo

JVX Flying styles

Hi everone, I'm thinking of getting a JVX hybrid, I have heard they are very nice to fly, I have also heard though that they can feal quite mushy at the end of the swoop because of the air spilling out where the stabalisers would usually be?

Evey wing neads to be flown differently to build the best power, to be pulled out of the dive etc.
Also every pilot has there different flying styles and it is best to get the wing that suits your style the most. I really like flying my vx and I think it suits my style well.

I would like to hear from JVX pilots about how they found it best to fly thieir JVX's. Building power, flying the rears, harness power etc.

Hopefully hearing from pilots actual experience can help me figure out if this wing will be right for me.

Look forward to hearing everyone's opinions :)

Where did you get the info about air "spilling out where the stabilizers would usually be?" I have about 650 jumps on a JVX (ZP) and I feel that the inputs are anything but mushy, even in the bottom end. The JVX is a very fast & low drag wing. I regularly go significantly faster (measured by viso) under my JVX 80 than under my stock VX 69.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Thanks for the feadback, not really what I was looking for though, 'flying styles' was what I wanted to hear about. Not just 'this canopy is better, than that canopy'. Alot of people still prefer the vx to the jvx because of the way you have to fly to get the maximum out of the wing.
So you got it going faster than your old vx, cool, but how did you find the way you had to fly to get it going faster?

:)

I'd go with a combination of front risers and harness inputs.

How much of each depends on winds, temperature, and field elevation.

Really, though, if you're ready for a JVX, you already know this.

(That last sentence was really the point of the post)

can you define what "flying style" is to you? I have over 1000 jumps on various VX's, mostly on VX111. I can fly the shit out of it. I now have just 100-120 jumps on a JVX87 (sail top & bottom) and jump it in competition, camera and FF. And already i can fly it faster and further then my VX. I also know that i've tapped MAY BE 30% of JVX capabilities. Bigger turn, smother turn technique - all that is still ahead.

The JVX flys different from a VX. In my experience, it has same front riser pressure, similar rear riser performance with lighter pressure. It is trimmed differently so the turns will start from a higher altitude - 150 feet higher then VX. but same general turn techniques can be applied with great success. Slow beginning rolling into a fast snappy final 90 has been working well for me lately.

Of course, wing loading difference is huge, vx111 @ 2:1, JVX87 @ 2.6:1 - so the speed comes from there. Unlike the beliefs of the past where most of us thought the big wing would go further, the JVX can take the loading AND fly further then a bigger ligheter loaded VX. It also does not fall out of the sky as a VX loaded @ 2.6:1 would.

The comments about the spilling air, mushy controls, lack of bottom end, etc. probably come from people that never jumped a JVX but HAVE seen pictures of it (Yes, you Johnny ;) or people that put 10-15 jumps on it and never got a chance to dial it in.

Unlike the beliefs of the past where most of us thought the big wing would go further, the JVX can take the loading AND fly further then a bigger ligheter loaded VX. It also does not fall out of the sky as a VX loaded @ 2.6:1 would.

The JVX sizing method is not the same as other manufacturers, so in reality an 87 JVX is bigger than an 87 VX.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The JVX sizing method is not the same as other manufacturers, so in reality an 87 JVX is bigger than an 87 VX.

you sure about that? PD and Icarus use different measuring, but Icarus and Icarus? Never heard of that.

Even still JVX will fly at extreme wing loadings much better then VX

The JVX is not made by Icarus ...

Oh and while there are more talented and more experienced canopy pilots with more jumps on their JVX than I have on mine (I have 200+ JVX jumps). I have not experienced this mushiness on my JVX that the original poster refers to.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The JVX is not Icarus ...

Right, it's Icarus NZ Project AKA Daedalus Project :P but i'd expect the guy who designed and measured the original VX to apply the same measuring techniques to JVX (and GLS XF)... wouldn't you?

Now if that is not the case, then it would be good to know. But we're guessing here unless JP has spoken to the source himself.

We laid an 89 JVX out on top of an 89 VX and they were exactly the same if you go by that sizing method:o. The jvx will be bigger than the velo if you lay them out on top of each other. I wrote a diatribe about sizing somewhere on this site.

http://canopypiloting.tempwebpage.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=6207;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Here is a review that Paul R gave a while back about the JVX. I personally would consider Paul one of the best under the JVX, if not the best: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2315192;search_string=jvx%20review;#2315192

i spent last year under an 87 at 2.4+ and overall, the JVX is a decent canopy. it has it's strengths, but also definitely it's weakness's. before the JVX i had put about 1000 jumps on a vx 84 and even though the 2 canopies were designed by the same person (jyro) i found it extremely difficult to become accustom to the jvx. some might say it's because the jvx is so "advanced" or what ever, but what it boiled down to is that it's just a difficult canopy to fly well in my opinion. to me i had to be nearly perfect to have what i considered a decent swoop, but again that's just my opinion.

as far as the "mushiness" at the end of the swoop, i do feel the jvx lacks the bottom end lift compared to canopies that have stabilizers such as the velocity. but that's not to say that i'm wrong and i was just flying the canopy poorly (which i wasn't god damn it :P)

hope this helps...stu
p.s. by the way, i started my turns with the jvx in full-flight because that's what felt gave me the most power. i don't think starting in full-flight with all types of canopies is the way to go however.

Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

The way I get the most speed out of my JVX is to start my approach in 1/2 to 3/4 brakes, slowly let up while transitioning to double fronts to start the dive.

Add leg harness input and let up on the outside front riser to start the turn in the dive, and let it dive and build speed. I found this held the dive longer and built up much more speed than, starting my turn in full flight. I go to double rears SLOWLY as I'm coming out of my arc, into the gates.

Starting my turn in full flight usually adds ALLOT of front riser pressure on my JVX. So much so that it sometimes pulled me out of my dive before I intended to do so.

Yes the end of my swoop does sometimes feel mushy, but I attribute that more to flying to the end range of rears more than the desing impact of no stabalizers.

I put about 100 jumps on a standard VX 96 before demoing and purchasing a JVX 99. I would say that I could build much more speed and distance with the JVX by far. Put about 175 jumps on the JVX so far.

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's all good stuff.

Frost, by flying style I mean, the methods a pilot uses to get the canopy flying at it's maximum speed, some pilots like to fly mainly harness, some mainly risers, start the turn fast, slow, carving, straight into a steep dive etc, some canopies won't respond as well as others to a certian style, as in you won't get the most out of a jvx if you try to fly it like a vx or vice verser, just an example.
Also some people, infact most people, won't get to thier set up point at the exact moment, then being too high or low and having to change the turn accordingly, some canopies are better with this than others, and like Stu said he felt he had to be exact or he wouldn't get a decent swoop out of it. Did anyone else find this? I know that if you get on the rears a pinch too late or too early the swoop really suffers with the jvx, so I've been told :) But the vx likes to be taken nice and deep in the corner then kind of 'popped out.'

Diablo pilot, I never asked about the sizing of the wing I'm sure you've already discused it on another forum and Frost is right that vx and jvx is built by the same pair of hands so why would they meassure diffently? Don't answer that keep it on topic :)

Cheers keep it comin I'm starting to learn something from you fella's.