Sonicfreefly

DZ's that have restrictions on swooping

he dz I jump at in Sweden has a 600 jump minimum before you can do a hook turn.

can you please define the term 'hook turn' in a more descriptive manner? what does the swedish dropzone you are talking about consider a hook turn to be?

I thing such rules are probably quite good but shouldn't be restricted to jump numbers but ability.

I know some jumpers with over 1000 jumps that find it fun to put themselves in the corner and dig themselves out.

that shit scares me!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I know some jumpers with over 1000 jumps that find it fun to put themselves in the corner and dig themselves out.

that shit scares me!

This is actually a really good comment. I love watching well done swoops, they still "that shit scares me" BUT does the a jumper with a 1,000 jumps have the right to "dig themselves out"? I say yes. It may not be correct, but they have the right to do whatever they want to how ever they deem fit. They don't have the right to take some with them obviously.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

They don't have the right to take some with them obviously.

Obviously? It may be obvious to you. I've read a number of comments in the "general" forum which suggest it's not obvious to everyone.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was at Raeford 4 weeks ago. I was there for an ash dive. I got a landing briefing before jumping, and there was no restriciton for swooping.

Beware "the dragon". :)

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

AFAIK Raeford Parachute Center and Skydive Carolina have enacted new rules limiting degrees of turns. Maybe someone from either of those dropzones can chime in with the specifics.

At Raeford, we are using the following guidelines:

1. Swoopers must either exit low, swoop before regular traffic or after. We also discuss any deviations from the set pattern before the loads go up (i.e. downwind landings and such). Swooping IN traffic will earn you one chance to correct (with direct involvement of the school or other experienced jumpers). Second time means you're done for at least the day.

2. Landing patterns are not only discussed at the mock-up before the loads go up, they are posted on a board there as well, for all to see. Again, anyone going contrary to these discussed patterns gets one chance before they are informed of their right to take their business elsewhere.

3. We have a designated "high-performance" landing area for swoopers. Non-high-performance pilots have the rest of the landing area to themselves.

Other than that, we do not limit what degree of turns can be performed, as long as canopy pilots are operating within the stated rules for the landing areas.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I think it depends on the mood of management sometimes. I know of several places where hook turns are expressly forbidden in the waiver but it is not usually enforced. So you could say hook turns are banned but peopel do it anyway and no one says anything. Guess it's just there to protect the dz in case something should happen.

At Skydive Carolina no turn over 90 degrees is allowed in the main landing area.

However, they have set up an alternate landing area father down the runway that you can turn any degree you want in and they will drive down and pick you up.

As much as I hated to see the restriction be put in place it is nice swooping and not having to worry about 20-30 other canopies in the air with you.

Skydive Palatka allows 90 or 180 turns on regular turbine loads. Swoopers can get out low, or pull at altitude if they want to do bigger turns.

If there's enough swooping going on, they'll break out the 182 or 206 to fly dedicated 'swoop loads'.

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Yes even the CK1 guys now do 180s unless on a hop and pop or swoop club.............Well Yonatan that is!!
Jimmy has left Crosskeys not because of the 180 rule but a busy summer schedule that has him in Europe. ( Thats the word on the street.
And WILL did leave and jumps elsewhere because of the 180 rule.(he has never really been much of a team player ar crosskeys anyway and it is a much mellower dz now he is gone.)
I actually like it better now with the rule as more skydivers have come together to do pond swoop loads on sunset and we now have alot of really good up and coming swoopers that are getting full support from the more experienced guys helping them out.
At least the last 2 weekends i was there and thats what i witnessed.
Yonatan can ROCK the 180!!!!!!