Bolas

Visual for Swooping (Was - audible for swooping?)

In my experience, Neptunes do not work as a visual altimeter with some polarized lenses. The LCD is illegible.

I know they don't work with Natives.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

In my experience, Neptunes do not work as a visual altimeter with some polarized lenses.

It would be more fair to say Polarised lenses don't work with instrumentation. While my neptune is affected by my polarised lenses, so is my Garmin GPS, and even the window tinting on my car shows up with polarisation.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

In my experience, Neptunes do not work as a visual altimeter with some polarized lenses. The LCD is illegible.

I know they don't work with Natives.

Polarized lenses? I jump three different varieties of Gatorz (with three different color gradient lenses) and have never had a problem with them. That's odd that you had that problem, Randy.

Chuck

In my experience, Neptunes do not work as a visual altimeter with some polarized lenses.

It would be more fair to say Polarised lenses don't work with instrumentation. While my neptune is affected by my polarised lenses, so is my Garmin GPS, and even the window tinting on my car shows up with polarisation.

t

Yet, the LCD on my Digitude or phone is not effected. B|

Must just be certain types of LCD's.

it depends on the orientation of the LCD's polarizer, versus the orientation of your glasses' polarizer. Try taking your digitude, and with your glasses on, look at it while turning it upside down (so the numbers are upside down) sideways, etc. At certain orientations it should become obscured. The vast majority of LCD displays suffer from this due to the way they use polarization filters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcd

Dont used polarized lenses....

Do you mean with a Neptune or other LCD or in general?

Are there other possible polarized lens safety issues we should know about?

Do not use polarized sunglasses. I use a neptune for swooping. You can loose the neptune (and go analog). Most swoopers I know use neptunes, very few dont, and even less can set up without an altimeter at all.

As far as safety concerns - dont loose altitude awareness and turn low. Dont focus on your altimeter and loose awareness of traffic around you.

I personally prefer the VISO :)
Furthermore, I know of at least 3 competititors (pros) that will be tossing away their Neptunes after some issue they encountered at CPC Competition at The Farm. If you use it with the Protektor (the rubber casing for it) it will remain water resistant, in case it becomes submerged. B|

Cheers!

--Jairo

Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

I personally prefer the VISO :)
Furthermore, I know of at least 3 competititors (pros) that will be tossing away their Neptunes after some issue they encountered at CPC Competition at The Farm. If you use it with the Protektor (the rubber casing for it) it will remain water resistant, in case it becomes submerged. B|

Cheers!

--Jairo

I'd be curious to hear what the 'issue' was? I jump at The Farm, get it wet regularly AND use the offset mode every weekend with no issues.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Ian, I'm not exactly sure what the issues were. It may have been due to the offset issues; however, I did hear some of them talk about their Neptunes just shutting off. I'll call around and see if I can find out from Delibac what his specific issues were. You can also call Shimell, he was one of the ones saying he was wanting to switch over from the Neptune to the VISO

Cheers!

--Jairo

alti2 took care of my problem.

I am a happy customer again.

it was shutting off after exit or even sometimes riding to altitude.

I tried many batteries that day with the same result.

alti2 replaced it for me and it is now working great.

this post reminds me, I need to return my old one. they were kind enough to get a new one to me, even without my old one.

thanks alti2.:)

If you use it with the Protektor (the rubber casing for it) it will remain water resistant, in case it becomes submerged. B|

Are you sure about that? I've seen one damaged by water contact, despite the presence of a Protektor. I'm curious as to whether that was a fluke incident...

...but the big hole in the back of the Protektor, right over the hole in the back of the Viso's casing, leaves me a little suspicious.

...but the big hole in the back of the Protektor, right over the hole in the back of the Viso's casing, leaves me a little suspicious.

That may have been a fluke. I've had my VISO fully submerged and it had no problems whatsoever. Even if water gets into the hole for the speaker, it will not damage or affect it's function. In fact, I know of at least 2 people who have had their VISO's fully submerged following a rough pond swoop/landing that didn't have it encased by the Protektor. :S However, in each case, a few mins out in the sun, and the units were fully functional again.B| I'd still reccomend using the Proteketor though...that's why they're available.

Cheers!

--Jairo

Take also a good look at a neptune, it also shows a hole in it :)

It's always the same discussion, Neptune, Viso, Optima, ... is better than Optima, Neptune, Viso, ...
My waterproof neptune was not waterproof when it became wet :S (was replaced without problems).

Jurgen

PS I own a neptune, a viso and an optima.

My waterproof neptune was not waterproof when it became wet Crazy (was replaced without problems).

I'm feeling lucky. I got mine wet last Sunday.

I have an Optima. I'm not sure if it would be more waterproof with the silicone case after seeing the battery holder, but if the say I believe so. I still don't take with me if I might get wet.