bendover

audible for swooping?

As far as I know, the Optima and the Neptune are the only two that offer canopy alerts.

The Optima also offers a set of beeps that get faster the closer you get to your turn point. Very handy. It's also smaller and cheaper. Major downside: it's not waterproof, and the Protektor isn't well designed.

The Neptune is more expensive and seems to still have occasional software issues. It is, however, waterproof.

Why would L&B not make the Optima waterproof in the first place...

All I can add is that I have been using a neptune for at least a year now, and it has worked fine. It has been sub aqua a few times and has continues to work.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I am quite happy with my Neptune(s), although they do seem to have some problems. The batteries don't last very long and mine sometimes logs jumps in the car on the way to the DZ, but other than that it serves the purpose just fine. I use one with a broken screen (damn that wipeout!) as an audible, and it's replacement as a visual alti.
Tonto, you gonna be at JSC next weekend for the seminar? We got some bergies coming up from the Cape again so hopefully see you there!
Hard work never killed anybody, but why risk it?

the neptune is the only way to go IMO

Each one praises their own :) Have you ever tried the Optima? If so, what did you not like about it?

I have and use both. As a swoop audible I BY FAR prefer the Optima for its swoop corridor alarm. It's a less expensive, cleaner, smaller, more efficient, less buggy and easier to maintain device. And batteries for Optima are half the price compared to Neptune batteries

The one big plus for Neptune is the log book - the only way i keep track of jumps :) And it's water proof. but you can make Optima water resistant by buying the silicone pocket for it.

P.S. I actually have TWO Neptunes, i use the second one on my legstrap as a visual aid for canopy flight.

I started out with neptune's then switched to Optima and Viso but once the going gets tough, the tough get going and you better have Neptune's if you do not want to find yourself using the audibles as disposable products. Viso's and Optima's are absoultely useless if they get in touch with water. Swoopers no very well that sooner or later you will have a nice swim..........

i have put neptunes through the works and they keep on ticking (or beeping).

I put 2500 jumps on my first neptune before an airport luggage handler finally broke it and have had two more ever since (which i use concurrently.

only problem is if i dont slow down enough on my speed canopy (79 jvx) before initiating my turn it goes ballistic thinking i am going to bounce (goes into freefall mode) but this does not happen on my bigger canopy (92).

I have not tried other audibles simply because they are not waterproof that i know of.

Each one praises their own :) Have you ever tried the Optima? If so, what did you not like about it?

I have and use both. As a swoop audible I BY FAR prefer the Optima for its swoop corridor alarm. It's a less expensive, cleaner, smaller, more efficient, less buggy and easier to maintain device. And batteries for Optima are half the price compared to Neptune batteries

The one big plus for Neptune is the log book - the only way i keep track of jumps :) And it's water proof. but you can make Optima water resistant by buying the silicone pocket for it.

P.S. I actually have TWO Neptunes, i use the second one on my legstrap as a visual aid for canopy flight.

A couple buddy's bought Optimas - I thought they were decent - I especially liked the low profile. But the lack of waterproofness, no jumplogger, and exteremly difficult menu structure turned me off.

The Neptune is just a much more capable unit. The next fimware version will include the "coundtown from beeps 2-3" (I believe waht you call the swoop coridoor)