cam

Cypres and mobile phones

the thread about vectors and cypres not working had a post that said it was possible a handphone made a cypres fire on the ground...
is mobile phone interference a known risk?
I wonder, does anyone carry a mobile when jumping? I've discovered quite a few times when i had mine in my pocket... so far no problems but...
i know i could read the cypres manual. but lazy to find it

There were a service bullitin abou this once. A metallic sleeve had to be installed around the cypress to protect it against radio interference. Now they are all updated so that it no longer is required. As mentioned at:
http://www.pia.com/SSK/cypres/cypres06.pdf
Personally I try to not use my cellphone too close to my cypress. When I'm on the plane I turn my mobile off, as it can interfer with flight instruments.
Usually I don't got it with me though.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

There were a service bullitin abou this once. A metallic sleeve had to be installed around the cypress to protect it against radio interference. Now they are all updated so that it no longer is required.

Incidentally, the rig that fired at Aerohio had the metalic sleeve installed, If I recall correctly.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

On the record attempts 2000 at Ottawa, IL I landed out and was riding back on a truck to the DZ. I sat up by the cab in the payload bed. The radio antenae was sitting across the back window inside the cab. The driver transmitted to the DZ that he had a bunch of us and was headed back. At the same time my Cypres fired while the truck was going 60 mph. The pilot chute inflated and one guy in the back of the truck grabbed for it and missed. Someone across from me grabbed me and pulled me down into the bed from the seated position I was in on the truck bed wall. My Reflex has the "Catapult" installed and when it came out it inflated. The same guy that missed the first pilot chute was able to grab the Catapult and pull the whole bridle in. The free bag never came out of the container. It all happened very fast.

And yes, I had the grey sleave on the control unit. We had a new cutter on the unit in an hour and the rig closed up again. The unit self tested correctly and I continued to jump. And I didn't ride in the truck again.

Another JM at SDC had his Cypres fire after he landed and pulled out his student radio. He looked up, found his student, keyed the mike and "POP!". The Cypres unit had damage to the battery box suspected to have happened during normal main packing. If you see your packer EVER pound on your rig fire them. If you see them pick your rig up by the yoke (the top of the rig container going between your shoulders) fire them. They can be damaging the components of your Cypres and cracking the protective shielding of your Cypres.

I think mine fired just from the proximity to such a high powered transmitter. It has been in for its' four year check since then too. Unit is ok.

Chris

Also... (since this comes up for me, and Im sure others) ... Ham Radio HT's and Airband handhelds are much higher power then student radios..so even if the student radios at your DZ dont trigger your cypress, your HT might punch through the sheilding on some freqs. so you might want to think twice about bringing your HT to the dropzone ( I turn mine off when I get at the town line..)
"You can blow your nose, and you can blow your friends, but if your wife buys too many pairs of shoes, your head could explode."