CKSCUBA

Neos Vs Crossfire2 ?? Any crossfire Flyers know?

I jump a Crossfire 2. Been swooping 6 months and I am a wanna-be Dz Swooper. I do 180 and 270 at around 350 to 450 ft. I have had ok sucsess and managed to not hurt myself nor scare myself. Taking my sweet time. I have over 700 jumps nd 4 years of skydiving.

I fly one Crossfire at 1.5 and the other at 1.7. i land them just fine swooping or straight in, tight and in someones back yard, a church, a middle school, next to a swamp. You get the picture. I have landed off.

I demo a Xaos 27 118 for a few jumps. at 1.75 loading. I liked the way it opened mostly, it flew easy and tame in the toggles. The risers were nice and the canopy dove much further then either Crossfires i Jump.

Landing the xaos 27 was tricky for me since deep in the flare the canopy gets squirly. I posted that i fell down twice in crosswind landings. I landed fine and then the canopy wants to keep flying and pulled me into the ground while i am running crossways. I almost hurt my shoulder landing on it. I dont know how to shut it down after landing. I thought the canopy was too much for me. I love my crossfire2. I am working on that canopy getting better.

Looking toward the future I was hoping to fly xbraced. I flew a FX, a velocity, a xaso 21 and 27. the xaos 21 was the easiest to fly but the xaos 27 had a nice glide to it. The fx and velocity canopies are much to much for me. The Xaos series felt the most comfortable and much easier to fly.

My question is what about the Neos in a 118 size loading it 1.75 and comparing that to a Crossfire2 loading at 1.75 and then finaly the Xaos 27 loaded at 1.75.

I plan on staying with the Crossfire2 for a primary canopy but for a 2nd rig i would like a Neos 119 or xaos 27 118.

It will not be any time soon I just got laid off from my job and I am looking for another job. Plus I will have to save some money. I planed on getting Canopy Coaching real soon from Chuck at zhills but I will have to put that off also.

Would anyone have any thoughts on this?

Chris

jump the shit out of your crossfire for now man...

get the coaching and not the second rig for right now

the coaching will teach you how to get more out of your crossfire...

then when you are swooping to the point where the hardcore swoopers are saying nice job on that crossfire then think about it...

Mine are still pointing out things I could do differently....

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

>My question is what about the Neos in a 118 size loading it 1.75 and
> comparing that to a Crossfire2 loading at 1.75 and then finaly the Xaos
>27 loaded at 1.75.

I can compare the Neos at 1.9 to the Crossfire2 at 1.9. The Neos has a significantly better arc to it, and maintains the dive longer with front riser input. It's also significantly more skittish on opening; until the brakes are released it really wants to dive. Might be an issue for you if you are dealing with things like cameras right after opening.

Yes not even the Wafo' are saying nice job. LOL

i am going to jump the stuff out of my crossfire. I am going to get coaching as soon as i can afford it. I wish iDid not get laid off. I dont know how long Chuck will be at Zhills.

I have to go to Lake Wales or Zhills to be evaluated by Hard Core swoppers. There are no hard core swoopers at Tampa. A few of us are swooper hacks or dz swoopers one of our pilots is a good swooper but he doesnt come out that often. We all have great fun doing our swoops. we cant afford a pond but we do have a big slip and slide we put out once in a while.

Its great you get to jump with such good swoopers. I talk to people at zhills and lake wales but i really don't know anyone.

I saw your videos of your swoops, as borat would say " Very Nice" your light years ahead of me.

Demo some of the crossbraced canopies gives me an appreiation of the skill it takes to fly them and also how nice it is to be on my Crossfire.

I have heard that the GLX-fire was a all sail crossfire2 and the neos was a crossfire2 with some crossbracing.

Thank you BillVon for the information on the Neos.

So i was wondering about the difference and what the gain if any would be. I was flying a Typhoon until someone told me about the Crossfire.
i am so glad they did. I can not help to wonder what will the future be for me and what is next.

Chris

I am actually going to fly the neos this weekend and will let you know after that what I think about it vs the crossfire2

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I do 180 and 270 at around 350 to 450 ft.

My apologies for not answering to your original question, I can't for I haven't flown a NEOS, but I do have one observation.

When you do a 180 from 350 and a 270 from 450 it sounds to me that you are quit low and are doing your front riser turns too quick (snapturns).

I jump a XF2 @ 1.8 and when I do a 180 I loose about 550 ft in altitude, doing a slow carving turn, building up as much speed as possible (I don’t do 270 yet btw). This gives me more time to evaluate my approach and gives more power thus a better swoop.

As always just my humble opinion, I hope somebody else with more experience in swooping can validate this.

J.

Its a good way to learn to swoop... I used to take a long carving approach...when I moved to 270s this made setup a bear....

so I started quickening up the turns and then wound up losing the same altitude...

so still for 270 I start turn on Xfire2 109 at 1.9 from 600-650ft

180 I start my turn from about 500

of course when you start adding in air density variable +-50 ft...

Now knowing that this gent jumps at or around sea level...

When I go to Zhills I usually forget that I have dropped some altitude from my home dropzone...(the ranch MSL 400 or so) Zhills shows up on my Neptune as -100 as far as density reporting...

so when I go to Zhills I tend to drop abotu 100 ft from my turn...

Cheers

Dave

The Crossfire loaded 1.5 pull just one full front riser and it dives about 350-400 from a breaked aproach. It is a quick turn. I am now adding the other front riser and I am bumping my altitute up more and more trying to get a more efficient dive. I am trying to build some platform and then go from there. I just started achieving good consitancy and i am bumping it higher and higher. I want to get to the 500+ and make a slow turn. I had to start somewere. When i did start i was 60 ft too high so now i am able to maintain the dive and rear riser out and use the toggles with out flying back up in the air. My landings are good. So yes I am moving the set up higher and higher and i am getting more of a dive and more comfort level.

The crossfire 1.75 loading is a 450ft single front riser dive. from breaked. i dont to a complete 180 yet.

I jump the 1.5 loaded one much more then the 1.75.

Thank you for your recomondations and sharing. I jump at skydive tampa it is in lakeland i think the elevation is like 120ft above sea level. zhills can not be far off that.

The few jumps i did with the xaos27 118 i did a 180 and lost 600 ft with out trying. I did that up high with digital viso.

I Do not want to got to any higher loaded Crossfires or downsize until i can fly the 1.5 loaded crossfire to the edge of its performance. Then i guess i will down size a little at a time. I started on a Crossfire 159 and a typhoon 150.

Please up load a video of the Neos in action opening and swoops and your opinion. that would be very helpfull to my possible future. When i am ready.

See ya
Chris

bump it up and start with harness

Edited to add start practicing that up high first...the addition of harness will make your turn easier...Also are your arms at full extension when you grab your dive loops blocks whatever you grab? If not consider longer risers...

I will post you video of how much of my leg you can see when I start my turn after I get up to locker to grab video camera

Dave

Ok I start practicing that up high. Along with my attempt at Jim Stantons performance drills.

Ok for a good laugh I have posted two of my shitty swoops on the skydiving movies web site place.

these are both about with in 2 months

I do not know how to post a web page but as soon as it is up i send a link to this.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5701

that is the link

This could qualify for long distance educational swoop coaching right???

Chris[url]http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5701[url]

yeah definately bring it up a bit and slow down the turn...

also try to be a bit smoother on inputs coming out of turn..

I see that you are pitching canopy rapidly using a quick toggle stroke...

try a smoother input think of it like triming your canopy out of the dive....the smoother the input the less speed lost....

scary thing to think about for you is this... I have my hands on my rears about 100 ft lower than you started that second 270...starting to trim canopy out of dive slowly...

Cheers

Dave

abso-fucking-lutely...

I knwo money is an issue...but seriously...it will be worth it...

I coach, for free, on a regular basis both at The Farm and other places.

I know I'm not the only one.

There are plenty of people out there willing to share the knowledge, but sometimes the person wanting it needs to make SOME effort ;)

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

As I learn I remeber I do have an another hand my left one. I will start pulling the other riser down a bit tio slow the turn and keep pushing up higher and higher. Sorry I suck so bad.

I was trying to joke, about the distance virtual education like you can at universities. I was asking if my video and swoppers advice would quailfy as virtual coaching, for free.

Sorry my swoops are as bad as my jokes.

I have talked to chuck he is a nice guy and he does it all. Plus he is easy to talk to and shares his expertise. As soon as I get another job I will get some coaching.

If I did not have a bald spot I could get a job as a male dancer, i guess making money on the Pro-Swoop tour is out also.

A final note, I was forced to execute those swoops lower due to the effect of Global Warming at my Dropzone. That is my excuse anyway.

Chris

I don't believe anyone here said your swoops suck. Everyone has to go through beginning of the learning process at some point, and even then we all still have swoops that aren't as good as we'd like. It's just the way it is.

Keep working at it, aggressively pursue every bit of knowledge from good pilots around your area and it'll all start falling into place.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Its ok I say it. I suck but its fun and i am getting better.

It is amazing to watch others videos on my space or you tube of real swoops and tricks ( freestyle )

When I grow up All i want is to do that stuff and have hair.

thanks for the names of swoop coaches Ian.

Chris

CKSCUBA : I do 180 and 270 at around 350 to 450 ft.

jacco : When you do a 180 from 350 and a 270 from 450 it sounds to me that you are quit low and are doing your front riser turns too quick (snapturns).

dharma 1976 : Its a good way to learn to swoop... I used to take a long carving approach...when I moved to 270s this made setup a bear....

I think this is very poor advise. When somebody is too low it could hurt or be leathal. When learning to swoop you should take every step carefully and the biggest problem is snapturns. When you do a snapturn, as is clearly visible in the video, you have no alternate plans. It's hook and pray.

So dharma, unless I interpreted your post incorrect, be careful in your advise, especially when it’s with somebody you don’t know.

So please CKSKUBA take your turns higher so you have outs. Take coaching and be careful, your video really scarred me.

J.

I will never say pull and pray...pull in pray was how I busted myself at jump 260

I was saying that a big carving turn was a good way to learn...I used to take up entire landing area widths when I was starting to build up speed but work on accuracy...

Finding the middle ground I found the flying down the funnel works for me now...

and swooping without outs is a good way to hurt yourself period...just going on the record...

Dave