skyshimas

best time to downsize

I was thinking what time in the season is the best to downsize? I would think it is in the second part of the season when you are current or at your best and have enough time to play with your new toy before the season ends or slows down considerably. Beginning of the season or end of it is not too good for the same "being current" reason. I was thinking to downsize for the next season but now considering maybe it wouldn't be a very bad idea to do that in around september while there are plenty of jumping left and you at the peak. But if I would push it for the next season then I would have to wait till I get current again and so on and my downsizing would be very delayed( it can't hurt but... you understand the urge to downsisze is present at all times and it is not that i am pushing it too fast either). I should have around 350-400 jumps by then and around 250-300 jumps on the canopy(sabre 170) probably even more. Any thoughts about timing the downsizing?

I was thinking what time in the season is the best to downsize? I would think it is in the second part of the season when you are current or at your best and have enough time to play with your new toy before the season ends or slows down considerably. Beginning of the season or end of it is not too good for the same "being current" reason. I was thinking to downsize for the next season but now considering maybe it wouldn't be a very bad idea to do that in around september while there are plenty of jumping left and you at the peak. But if I would push it for the next season then I would have to wait till I get current again and so on and my downsizing would be very delayed( it can't hurt but... you understand the urge to downsisze is present at all times and it is not that i am pushing it too fast either). I should have around 350-400 jumps by then and around 250-300 jumps on the canopy(sabre 170) probably even more. Any thoughts about timing the downsizing?

I would not recommend "timing" your downsizing or expecting your jump numbers to reflect your skills, opinions, and motivations at the time you are planning on downsizing. Enjoy what you have now...when you get bored with it and can land it anywhere in any condition, then it may be time to downsize.

However, timewise, there a couple schools of thought on this:

Perhaps partway into the season is best due to the fact that you will have gotten current again and still have the season to really get going on the canopy.

Or...

Perhaps towards the end of the season or even during winter is best since the density altitude is lower and the canopy will fly a bit slower and your jumps will be spaced apart enough that you will have more time to really learn and consider what you are doing during each jump (not that you shouldn't do that during the season too).

Ask canopy guru's at your DZ for the best answer. Ask questions on here (but take the responses with a grain of salt). Form your own opinions through common sense also. Most importantly, though, is to ask and listen to great canopy coaches at your DZ and see what they think based on your skill level, motivation, currency, altitude, attitude...

I just don't recommend "planning" on downsizing. Just do what feels right and common sense to do at the moment rather than planning your current canopy's "obsolescence."

Cheers,
Travis

Well I probably put it in a bad way and you misunderstood me. I don't plan the exact date when I will downsize. I believe I would be comfortable to do it now but decided to wait and not rush since there is a lot more i can learn on this canopy. I just thought that if I wait till next season the beginning is not the best time so maybe the second half of this is better than beggining of the next season. I know that it is best to ask people who see you land and I will do it. Just curious what people around here are thinking. I would never do something because a guy from dz.com told me so without consulting instructors around my dz. Thank you for the reply!

whats up brother...I am coming down to jersey shore this week...

Drop me a line this week via PM and let me know what days are good there as far as getting the plane to fly...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Looking at where you're jumping your plan is well thought out. Do enough jumps to be current again and shake off the winter chill, and then start your downsize, preferably before the middle of summer when density altitude is very high.

Where I jump we're 5000 ft AMSL and it's really hot in the summer, but we jump year round as things are only in the 60's mid winter. I try and downsize just before midwinter, as that way as things get warmer the steps are incrimental, and the change is not as dramatic. Of course, this isn't always possible.

It's refreshing to see someone actually thinking about several issues, like temp, currency, etc before downsizing.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Ask canopy guru's at your DZ for the best answer. Ask questions on here (but take the responses with a grain of salt).

Why shouldnt you have some salt to go with those advice given by the local heros ?

I think you should.. more so becouse then nobody else will be there to correct them if they tell you something 1on1.

Form your own opinions through common sense also. Most importantly, though, is to ask and listen to great canopy coaches at your DZ and see what they think based on your skill level, motivation, currency, altitude, attitude...

This I agree 100%

Ask canopy guru's at your DZ for the best answer. Ask questions on here (but take the responses with a grain of salt).

Why shouldnt you have some salt to go with those advice given by the local heros ?

I think you should.. more so becouse then nobody else will be there to correct them if they tell you something 1on1.

I agree that no one would correct them if they are in person one on one, but hopefully the information given to this person will be more accurate and logical from someone who knows this person's motivation, attitude, and skill level. None of use really have a true knowledge of who this person is unless we have interacted with them on various levels in person. We can't give this person advice on here and have it be 100% correct.

Cheers,
Travis