MrBrant

Removable slider - opening differences

For you guys jumping removable sliders - have you guys noticed any differences in the openings?

Specifically 2-6 second sub-terminal?

Since I put mine one, a few small issues seem to have come up - especially on shorter delays. (I haven't taken it to terminal yet)

Thanks,

Brant

For you guys jumping removable sliders - have you guys noticed any differences in the openings?

Specifically 2-6 second sub-terminal?

Since I put mine one, a few small issues seem to have come up - especially on shorter delays. (I haven't taken it to terminal yet)

Thanks,

Brant

I have one of Mel's Skyworks RDS systems and it definetly softens up the openings/lengthens the openings. THe slider is the original dimensions as the stock slider. Perhaps its the material the rings are made from. Perhaps its that the yellow teflon cable makes the slider more "rigid." Perhaps its just a physical mystery.

The challenge that comes with it is the challenge that comes with any opening that takes longer to inflate. One must steer the opening or use harness input more precisely to keep the canopy on heading. This could be the issue you are experiencing with slower openings...if that is the problem you are having.

Cheers,
Travis

hey guys - thanks for the feedback.

yes - I have unfortunately been experiencing slower openings. It seems that as soon as the canopy is out of the bag, the slider inflates fully (big and wide), and remains at the slider stops for 1-2 seconds, before descending.

It does get a little spinny during these slower openings. It could well be body position - I may just have to become more attune to it. I also seem to get collapsed endcells. (often times, only one - which seems to start a spin too).

Once it starts to descend, it seems to work great - no hangup issues.

On the few 8+ second delays I've taken, it seems to work much better.

My friendly neighborhood master rigger and I built the slider. The dimensions are the same as the stock slider (Samurai 170).

I was just wondering if this is isolated to my setup, or if it was a common occurrence with the "X" style cable routing or something.

dude your slider looks weird. Whats the housing on the leady and trailing edge for? what did you press the grommets into.

The x design definately makes the slider more rigid where its not supposed to be rigid.

The slider that I made has it along the out side. Sub-Terminal/ terminal it doesn't matter.

can anyone give me dimensions for the d-bag lanyard?
Na' Cho' Cheese

I have only jumped my stock slider once, but with a para-concepts RDS slider my JVX opens sweeeeet. not long not hard but soft.

It is a little trickier to keep the grommets sitting on the stops when packing but aside from that, no difference with the packing and opening sequence. i have even got my digits to attach the item without fumbling too much now so it only takes a couple of minutes.

i wouldn't like to have a slider with the cables running through the middle but that is just me.

Blue skies

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

i have had a chance to jump quite a few different RDS's out there including some prototype stuff and with pretty much all of them when i had the full RDS on it slowed down the openings a little when pulling subterminal. however, the one i'm jumping right now(http://www.peaengineering.com/rds.htm)seems to be the most consistant and best opening thus far.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

dude your slider looks weird.

Why, thank-you! :ph34r:

Whats the housing on the leady and trailing edge for? what did you press the grommets into.

The x design definately makes the slider more rigid where its not supposed to be rigid.

The slider that I made has it along the out side. Sub-Terminal/ terminal it doesn't matter.

can anyone give me dimensions for the d-bag lanyard?

The 2 channels along the leading/trailing edge are the excess cable keepers. (It was easier to just do one long channel down the length of it, as opposed to creating 4 separate ones.

The grommets were banged into some layers of webbing. (reserve bridal folded over a couple times.) pics are attached.

So - what I'm gathering from the majority of people is that the openings tend to slow down. Might have to start experimenting on how to speed up the openings.
I wonder how my airlocked canopy will like the reserve-style exposed nose vagina thing. :D

I jump a Skyworks RDS on a Velo 103, the Velo has about 100 jumps on it ( I got it new) and the slider around 50 (less than 6 months old)
Im using the cloth style slider grommets and the grommet material is stainless steel.
On sub-terminal jumps I belive the RDS to be slower opening, but on heading and pleasant.
On terminal jumps, I'd say its just a bit slower and on heading. Now, if I get lazy and pack it poorly, I might get a brisk opening, but nothing greater than I had when with the stock slider.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865