GordonH

Synchronised landings

I'm interested in learning how to perform two-person sychronised landings - where both pilots fly the pattern together and execute a 90degree front riser turn to land side-by-side at the same time. The sort of stuff you see the Airspeed 4-way team doing.

About my experience level...I have about 1500 jumps of which around 150 are CRW (row 2, row 3 and row 4 wings and lower level locks on diamonds (largest 20-way), various stacks up to 13-way, a few 4-way rotations). The jumps will be alongside a fellow CRW jumper, however we will be using our non-CRW canopies. We already comfortably fly end-cell to end-cell at altitude on the canopies, but would like advice about how to go about planning, learning and executing side-by-side landings.

Edited to add: I'm not a high-performance swooper, but usually do 90degree front-riser turn landings on my Sabre 150.

Thanks

Blue skies!
Gordon
Beware of advice from those with more posts than jumps ;-)

Theorectically it's pretty simple. But we know that nothing is simple when it comes to flying and landing a canopy. Anyway, there is a leader and a follower. At the desired setup point, the leader signals (usually with a predetermined body movement like a leg kick) when to turn and the follower emulates the leader's turn. When done right, both turns occur simulatenously and you've got your synchronized landing.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

i would suggest that you go to canopypiloting.com and post the same post under ask jim. when i started doing two way landings (270) he wrote me a whole page of thing to know an be aware of. it gave us an incredibly good place to start and we progressed very quickly.

i would suggest that you go to canopypiloting.com and post the same post under ask jim.

Well I've tried registering at that forum twice now but it fails to send the email to confirm the registration - and without that I can't post there.

Blue skies!
Gordon

I had the same problem registering on canopypiloting.com, but the confirmation e-mails were getting sent straight to my spam. Maybe that's what happened?

No nothing in the junk email box in hotmail. I tried registering twice but never go the confirmation.

Thanks for posting the question for me chachi.

Blue skies!
Gordon