Peej

South African National Canopy Piloting Championships Results

After an incredible weekend of competition in some pretty trying downwind and crosswind conditions the results are in. 13 Open Pilots and 10 Intermediate Pilots battled it out over the pond at JSC. There were some spectacular crashes and some minor injuries but thankfully most everyone walked away unscathed. A huge round of thanks go out to the people that put the comp together: The staff of the Johannesburg Skydiving Club and our super dedicated Nationals Committee, the judges from the Parachute Association of South Africa and our FAI judge from Canada, Barry McAuley. Also to Chris Beasley, aka Swooopa-X, for his vision and drive regarding the bulding of the world class pond that's now a huge feature at JSC. Forgive me if i have left anyone out but i'm extremely sore, tired and still buzzing from the whole experience.

Open Division Results:

Overall Placing:

1st Place - Gold medal - Chris Beasley - Velocity 90/84
2nd Place - Silver Medal - Rob Kruger - 79 Vmax
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Selwyn Johnson - 100 Xaos

Zone Accuracy:

2nd Place - Silver Medal - Rob Kruger - 79 Vmax
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Tonto - 93 FX

Speed:

2nd Place - Silver Medal - Selwyn Johnson - 100 Xaos
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Rob Kruger - 79 Vmax

Distance:

2nd Place - Silver Medal - Driaan Louw - 99 Machine
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Rob Kruger - 79 Vmax

Intermediate Division Results:

Overall Placing:

1st Place - Gold medal - JP Fourie - 99 Vmax
2nd Place - Silver Medal - PJ Eales - 120 Hurricane
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Pierre Badenhorst - 103 Xaos

Zone Accuracy:

1st Place - Gold medal - Arno Schutte - 103 Velocity
2nd Place - Silver Medal - PJ Eales - 120 - Hurricane
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Pierre Badenhorst - 103 Xaos

Distance:

1st Place - Gold medal - JP Fourie - 99 Vmax
2nd Place - Silver Medal - PJ Eales - 120 Hurricane
3rd Place - Bronze Medal - Marco Ciocca - 105 Hurricane

Well done to all the competitors who gave it their all this weekend, especially Bev Coslett aka Beverly on here and Naomi Kotze, you ladies rocked our worlds this weekend by going as hard as any of the guys out there! B|

edited to add link to thread with pics of the pond before competition.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2733886;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

edited to fix link and add canopy size/type - Tonto

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Well Done to all of you! :P It was great watching you guys give your best! Gals...you did the rest of us proud and I truly stand in awe :)
Peej...thanks so much for still taking the time to post this despite your sore and battered body :S you deserve a lekker and long hot soak!
Minds are like parachutes -- they only function when open. -- Thomas Dewar

:)
You made me proud, PJ! When I had that chat to you at boarding point before load 1, you were really, really focused, and you went out there and put scores on the board that beat many of the crossbraced crowd, and that on your Hurricane.

All of us have learned a lot this weekend. Some of us have learned how to do things better, others have learned what not to do, most of us a little of both.

This was my 1st Nationals in 10 years, in a disipline I am brand new in. In retrospect, beer line swooping is no preparation for competition, but the ground is always there. I like competition. I hope that showed!:P

Next step is seeing where we can improve, defining strengths and growth areas and setting short term and long term goals.. and competing on a more regular basis!B|

I have boundless respect for all the competitiors, but Bev takes top honours in my book. If there was a Gold medal for heart and commitment, it would be hers without doubt! Hope you heal up fast, Bev!

Beas, you're an inspiration. You made this look easy. I hope the rest of us can raise our game a little in future and give you a run for your money!

Finally, to everyone else. The judges, meet director, Technical course director (who spent days in the water in a wet suit) Safety officer, camera people, riggers (Who packed me up after my mal on Friday) Canteen staff, who fed us fantastically from dawn till really late, and the spectators who wanted to see me swim more often, but cheered me through on the speed rounds, Thank You!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

You made me proud, PJ!

:$ thank you t, it means a lot to me and believe me i was incredibly proud of you this weekend too! I'll never forget seeing this dude in motorcoss pants that used to be red but were now covered in dirt walk out of the clubhouse, rig on back and gloves on hands with the hugest smile on his face ready to rock and roll, no matter what was going to happen in the coming round. You have been instrumental in my skydiving for so long and will continue to for a long time to come.

Bev takes top honours in my book. If there was a Gold medal for heart and commitment, it would be hers without doubt! Hope you heal up fast, Bev!

With this i couldn't agree more!

Here's to getting regular competitions going on our pond and getting a new breed of South African canopy pilots ready to take on the rest of the world and show them that we breed them tough over here. ;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Heya peej thanx for a cool thread.
Damnmnmnmnmnmmmm that was intense!!!!!!!
What a hardcore comp! Thanx to all and congrats to evryone for a fantastic event.
To the competitors: you guys rock !!!

To anyone who wasn't ther lemme say this was one of skydiving's defining moments in our country.
The first complete FAI standard CP comp- held over a truly great pond.
Yes the venue is new and the runoffs were certainly not what they could have been... in fact the runoffs were friggin hardcore but the guys went out and dealt with the comp like true sportsmen and women should.
We all learned a lot, grew a lot and understood exactly what great competition is all about!

I feel really privelaged to be a part of the birth of
this new era in SA.
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Jay's record isn't an official world record?

edit: Found this on USPA's website for the official FAI record:

· Canopy Piloting/longest distance, general: 206.85 meters, Denver, Colorado, 2005, Jay Moledzki (Canada)

Blues,
Ian

From 1st FAI World Championships in Canopy Piloting 25-27 August 2006.

"In the Distance event - a new competition record - Jonathan Tagle, USA. 99.66m which does not replace the Moledzki Record set last year, which was a performance record."

t
It's the year of the Pig.

chris - dude - what you did was awe inspiring - really - your rounds were perfection - its been a long time since ive seen anyone execute so well. light years ahead.

that was one of the funnest competions ever - cant wait for the next one.

props to beverly for your hard core rounds and jsc for putting it up

damn too many fun diciplines B|

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

No i dont think so.
I had fai judge Barry McAuley explain it to me as follows:
World Comp record is the firthest distance flown under comp rules and regs anywhere in the world. In order to be validated ther must be a min of 2 FAI judges present.
When jay set 206m he did so carrying weight that the latest comp rules do not allow. Therefore they made his record a 'Performance Record' . Im not sure exactly what criteria exist for that category record.
The current world comp record, held by Jonothan Taggle, is a distance of 99m set under VERY tough conditions indeed in Vienna Austria last August.
I'm sure many guys have since gone further but never with 2 fai judges present so JT holds it still.

My personal best is 141 thru 5 foot gates and the furthest ive ever seen someone go was Paul Rossouw who did a 165 in Klatovy last year in prep for vienna..... That was f*gn awesome.

Its not all about records n stuff i know, and there are a lot of great pilots out there flying very far and fast every day.
It is still nice to know how the world judging systems are working.
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.