Bolas

Is a highly loaded cross braced canopy suitable for bigways?

First off let me start by saying I have not jumped anything smaller than a Sabre2 150 so I am only going by observation and what I have been told. I'd love to try one someday, but for now I already have a pilot chute. :P

Are Velocities, FX's, VX's, Xaos's, etc. Suitable for bigway jumps? I'm not talking about HP landings, just left hand pattern straight in.

Depending on what group you're in you may be opening right at or just above 2000 feet.

I have heard many swoopers say due the unpredictable openings and violent mals that can occur they like to open around 4000, and usually not less than 3000.

Once open even flying "slow" you probably are overtaking other traffic.

Should you have to avoid someone at the last minute the added speed may either save or hurt or kill you.

I do realize it's the pilot, not the canopy that matters, but truly how many HP canopy pilots truly have enough jumps on their canopy to safely deal with all this, especially right after a big dive?

I know a few HP canopy pilots have said already when they do bigways "They put the toys away." Was just curious what others thought.

Edit: title change :$
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Did you mean a highly loaded cross-braced canopy as opposed to a highly cross-braced canopy? Not sure if loading has anything to do with your question, but I think it does. Anyway that may clarify your question. I'm not sure what you mean if you really are taling about highly cross-braced canopies. As opposed to not highly cross-braced? I guess one could make an argument that a Neos is less than highly cross-braced, but I think you see my point. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, just trying to help clarify the question. I'm interested in the answers myself.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Are Velocities, FX's, VX's, Xaos's, etc. Suitable for bigway jumps?

I'm not interested in big-ways but I would say no. Dress for success right ... use the right tool for the job. X-braced canopies are engineered for swooping and since swooping is probably the last thing you want to be doing on a big way, then why use that tool?

But what do I know ... I'm nothing but a Homeless "economically viabled" hop n' pop swooper. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The issue isn't canopy construction. The issues for big-way compatibility are:

Speed in brakes. The faster the speed in brakes, the less time you have to avoid a collision after opening. More heavily loaded canopies are faster in brakes (everything else being equal.)

On-heading performance. If you see someone 20 feet to your right as you are deploying, and you have a canopy that always opens on-heading, you can turn away from them and have a reasonable assurance you won't open facing them. If your opening heading is more like a crapshoot, you'll be in trouble.

Ability to fly with other canopies. You should be able to slow down enough to stay in the pattern behind a bigger canopy.

Ability to land off. If you need a grass runway to land safely, you may have problems; you can't always land on the grass with 100 other people in the air.

Opening performance. You can't afford a canopy that snivels for 1000 feet if your assigned opening altitude is 2500.

That being said, I'd use a reasonably sized Xaos-21 for midsize bigways if I had to (say, >105 sq ft.) It opens on heading, slows down well, is stable in brakes, and I know I can put it into a small field if I have to. My current canopy (a Nitro 108) works pretty well, since it always opens on heading, always opens in 300 feet, and can also get me into small fields. For bigger stuff (World Team etc) I often switch to a Pilot 150 for the slower speed in brakes.

I think it's both subjective and relative.

My "Big, slow, forgiving" wingsuit canopy is a Safire 109 loaded to about 1.85. For me, it really is a bus.

Chuck's is a Sabre 2 98.

Right now, I wouldn't use my FX 93 for a bigway, but 10 years ago I would not have used my Jonathan loaded to 1.6. We grow. We learn. But when we fly in the flock we should have wings that match the other birds, I guess.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I'm not interested in big-ways but I would say no. Dress for success right ... use the right tool for the job. X-braced canopies are engineered for swooping and since swooping is probably the last thing you want to be doing on a big way, then why use that tool?

But what do I know ... I'm nothing but a Homeless "economically viabled" hop n' pop swooper.

Ditto to all you just said... except I think I still have a dz to swoop at.... maybe...hope so... hope they dont have their head up their ass yet....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

For most jumpers, no. But then most jumpers have never explored the range and capabilities of their parachutes no matter what size they jump. There is a huge difference between a "parachutist/skydiver" and a "canopy pilot"
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'll back that up. I have a 21 cell xaos 98 that I have kept as mr. reliable. for AFF and traffic jumps. It opens better than my Velo and I can land it pretty short if I need to...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when