airborne82nd

Wing Loading Help me out ????

I have noticed and have found wingloading on the lighter side.

I have seen people on crossfires swooping at like 1.3 loading and 1.4. the icuras says need to be 1.5 and higher. i load the 119 crossfire at 1.8.

i have seen a few guys on crossbraced canopies at 1.6-1.8.

Now when i spoke to some of these folks and one guy just recently he said his crossbraced is loaded the same as his old crossfire and his velocity way out swoops it, and again at the same wing loading of 1.6 ( not a very big fellow.

I guess my understanding is underloading isnt dangerous at least to this degree of 1.6 but i thought the guy wouldnt get the performance out of his velocity at that wing loading. but he insists the his velocity kills his old crossfire laoded both at 1.6

can you reap benifits of a crossbraced canopy at lower wing loadings ???

someone else told me they need to be loaded at 1.8 at a minimum.

what is the truth on this ??? this is a bit confusing.

thanks

Comparring the velocity to the crossfire at the same wing loading is not a good comparrison. First of all the velocity is going to be a more efficient wing with a line trim designed for swooping. I'm sure the velo gained more speed out of a turn compared to the xfire out of the same turn. Secondly the velo has less lines which equals less drag and is a thinner airfoil which also = less drag. In swooping drag is the enemy.

CB's are designed to minimize top skin distortion by tricking the canopy into thinking it has more line attachment points. If the velocity had the number of lines that the canopy thinks it has it would have something like 22 a lines. That is an awfull lot of line drag.

Icarus has quite a bit of info on this at the following link:

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/canopies/EXTreme_FX/index.htm

Read that page three times and then if you have more questions let me know, and no there are not little green men in Cheyenne Mountain Norad. Norad is actually going to abandon the mountain and move to Peterson AFB. The Cost of operating in the mountain is far more than operating at a regular base.

It's often stated there's no point in going cross-braced if you're not loading the canopy very heavily. I'm not sure I entirely agree with this and you've hit on a point as to why. A better airfoil is a better airfoil whether it's lightly loaded or not.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Do you some kind of cross-brace fixation????:S

Get a Radical, Cobalt or CompetitonCobalt from AtAir. 9(18) cell design and the load range is from 1.2-2.8(3). You can get a nice, soft, predictable opening and long swoops.

After having 300-500 jumps on 1.8+ none would step between you and a cross-braced canopy.

i am going to offer advice although i have kept my mouth shut in many of your posts.

some guys can go to a xbrace at 500 - 600 jumps. while you have the positive attitude you just don't have the knowledge you should. go get some fantastic coaching on a canopy that has more forgiveness than a CB.

i can tell you from personal experience that you would love many of the characteristics of the CB but from how you come across knowledge wise on the internet you would probably find it a handful. that in itself is a reason to stay under a more controllable platform.

these things fly so fast that if you are not very consistant in your inputs and cant put yourself at the right spot coming out of your turn every time they will put you in spots you don't want to be in and making decisions you didn't think you would have to. you have mentioned in your own writing how inconsistant your turn can be.

take a breather, keep your legs friend.

ahhhhh guys this is a question its not a fixation and it doesnt require any dumping on me. i am not getting a crossbraced canopy. that is not why i asked the question.

I have seen more people laoding these canopies out less then i thought you had to.

now they have way more jumps then me. This is not a fishing expedition it is a fact finding seek understanding not confrentational question.

i am not bringing up any points since i dont know about this. i am asking becuase i dont know.

again this has nothing to do with me but that i ask.

i wasnt aware that people could underload a crossbraced and the people i have seen and spoke with didnt change loading much either. example - i was on a katan a nitro, a cobalt a crossfire at this wing loading and this crossbraced is about the sam wing loading.

i dont know if cb canopies are better all the way around if you have the skill and expereince. thanks for the answers.

lastly I understand they are gray not green men.

not a subject for here but i have seen bizare shit years ago. weird beyond weird. bases underground ones old one and somewhere else ( mcdill )

i understand the chyene mountain is space comand and the old norad right. i hope they make taht a tourist stop when they are out.

PD have a minimum wing loading for the Velocity of 1.0. It's not a good idea to fly one loaded below that, but otherwise, go for it.

I know jumpers that toggle whip VXes, I know jumpers that turn at 300ft on Velocities, I know a jumper that loads his VX at about 1.7, and they all love how their canopy responds. If they were looking to get into competition swooping then they might approach things differently, but for them the canopy does what they desire.