marks

JVX VELO size comparison

why not mod your stock slider with a couple of loops of tape and get some spectra from somwhere so you can still remove your pilot chute and D bag and stow your slider as normal? that would only cost a couple of $.

If I had to chose, I'd remove my slider rather than my d-bag.

The above method is a colossal pain in the balls IMO (even though it'll work) and not worth the effort on the jump - I'd just wait till I could get a proper RDS system.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Has anyone compared JVX with a VX in such manner?
I am sure someone has done a VX and Velo layout a long time ago... what was the result? I am wondering just how much is JVX based on VX (size/footage measurement especially).

I'll do it myself when i get my VX97 back from a reline, but thought may be someone could post their findings before then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why not mod your stock slider with a couple of loops of tape and get some spectra from somwhere so you can still remove your pilot chute and D bag and stow your slider as normal? that would only cost a couple of $.

If I had to chose, I'd remove my slider rather than my d-bag.

The above method is a colossal pain in the balls IMO (even though it'll work) and not worth the effort on the jump - I'd just wait till I could get a proper RDS system.

Blues,
Ian

But if you a competing, have a newish different canopy, No RDS system (yet) and want to score your best in distance and speed then that would be a feasable system, I know Jim Slaton used that system at some stage.
He mentioned it on his website.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

And what about Neos?
Did anybody measure it against VX/JVX or Velo of same size in sticker?

P.S. I own Neos-89 and waiting for Velo-79.

I have no idea about the size difference, but that's going to be a huge jump in performance and speed for you. The Neos isn't quite in the same league as the Velo/JVX. I only put a handful of jumps on a 98 Neos when I was regularly jumping a 111 Velo and it still felt more docile to me.
You're going up in canopy performance plus wing loading, whereas I only went up in wing loading and down in canopy performance (I hope that makes sense)... So be carful with that transition.

Has anyone here transitioned from a Xaos-27 to a JVX??

I have been flying a Xaos-27 90ft and have just placed an order today infact for a shiny new JVX.

After some calculations and thought i opted for a 82sqft JVX, This would put me at a 2.0:2.1WL, and allow me to go upto 2.4WL with lead when competing.

I notice several people have stated in this thread tha they have purchased a JVX at what they considerd to be the correct size only to find out that after a bunch of jumps they wished they had gone a size down?

So now im wondering if i have made the right choice in size???

My original thought was to go for a 79..
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

i went from a VX to JVX. Fairly similar flight on VX and Xaos27 from what i know. Based on that...

In my experience, VX is starting to die out at 2.5+, JVX just wakes up. I've flown JVX's of different sizes from 2.4 to 2.8 loadings and I think that for comps a JVX loaded 2.5+ is better than a lighter loaded one.

The question is: Will this be a competition canopy or mostly an "every day" canopy? If competing is your thing, then you'll probably find yourself wishing you could load the 82 more. If it's a work canopy... well... Still. JVX needs to be loaded if it's "performance" you're looking for. And if you werent looking for performance, you wouldn't buy a canopy like that, right? ;) Besides.... how do i put it delicately... anything less then 2.2:1 is for pussies and post AFF graduates :)

P.S. i am talking about my ZP JVX's, not sail/hybrid ones. Sail can take even higher loadings and flies a bit different too, but hybrid @2.8 was not my favorite.

So Ill put it another way, I am looking for a significant improvement in performance over what I am getting out of the Xaos.

The Xaos was to big for me, however it was my first x-brace and I for that purpose it was imo perfect for me at the time.

I have competed under this canopy for the last 2 years in the Nationals, and will again this year as my JVX wont have arrived. Even if it turns up the comp is 3 weeks away so im not going to have time to get the jumps on it I need.

The last 2 years I have competed in Inter, and last year won overall and took out 4 medals.

Late last year I competed at the state champs in Open, and wasnt even competative, my distance runs were consistantly 30m shorter then the next guy and way off the leader, and my speed runs were a good 2 secs+ off the mark.

So basically what im looking for is a significant improvement in performance over my Xaos, and to be at least competative. I have no false illusion that buying this JVX will allow me to start winning comps.

Im not sure that I am ready just yet to start competing at 2.8WL which is why im looking to be able to load up with lead, which i can do as im only a 150lb guy.

Also I do want to be able to use this canopy when im not competing, and its also a All ZP JVX.

So what do you reckon? the 82 is to big isnt it....
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

There are recommended wingload charts for various types of JVX's on Jim Slaton's site, take a look. He suggests sail to be loaded at 2.8 to 3.0, if i am not mistaken... It's A LOT of loading :) Mine is a ZP JVX92, also a "custom" size which i ordered to be at exactly 2.5. that was based on my experience with 96 ZP, 87 top/bottom sail and 80 top sail. But I dont wear weights and lately find myself wondering about the possibilities of a ZP JVX at a higher than 2.5 wingloading. It's always been said by many JVX pilots that the canopy is asking to be loaded. I dont think 2.0 is strong enough for a zp JVX. But 2.4 is good and 2.5-2.6 is even better :)

BUT! Just to be clear, I do not think that an 82 @ 2.0 dry, 2.4 w/lead is petty! It is a very mature and aggressive wing loading and i think you WILL see improvement in performance as well as major differences in flight characteristics with a JVX over your old Xaos.

Consider this: even if you dont get the maximum possible performance out of you 82 because you dont load it @ its "optimal" wingloading, whatever that means, it'll force you to learn to be able to compensate for it with your technique. There are small guys at 2.2-2.4 kicking our lard-asses consistently :) That's skill. And really, lately i feel that the "optimal wingloading" is a very loose term, based on your own skill and flying style

P.S. i definitely agree with you about too much wingloading for your own comfort/skill level, thats very smart. So many people feel like they need to be like the top guys that set records under super heavily loaded canopies, so they buy the same small wing expecting same results... boy, how disappointed they feel when they jump it :)

ok so im sticking with the 82sqft. Jims optimum loading for the ZP JVX is 2.4 - 2.5. so with the 82 I can put on 12KG of lead (which is what im used to competing with) and be at 2.45:1.

And when im not competing I will be at exactly 2.0:1.

Seems good to me...

Het man...I have an all sail cloth 83 I'd sell...PM me if you're interested

Sorry dude, I placed the order with Gyro yesterday..

Well it's probably too late if you already placed your order, but, given your competition experience I think you might be happier with a JVX 77, essentially because this is roughly the same size as a velo84.
If you had chosen a velocity, then 84 would probably be the size that you're looking for given what you've posted, but for a JVX I'd go a size smaller.
Take all this with a grain of salt as none of us has seen the other fly...