Casquito

Swoop Vertical Speeds

I did a jump with the new LB Viso which has canopy speed as one of the recorded variables that can be played back in real time. I jump a Katana 107 loaded at 1.75 or so and it recorded a descent rate of 20 mph in full flight and 65 mph in my 270 turn to final from 650 feet.
Having never checked my top speed under canopy I was surprised it was that fast under a 107.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone else gotten readings during their dives? The Viso is pretty new so perhaps not that many people out there know. Certainly I had no idea I was going over 60 on a 107 doing a mere 270.

It would be interesting to know what speeds people are attaining under what wing loading and how many degrees of rotation.

well i got my protrack beeping on several occasions under canopy (when in dive). which means i went more than 29m/s which is 104km/h or 65 mph.

that's under radical 120 also loaded 1.75.

It needs to be more than 180turn to make it beep though.
"George just lucky i guess!"

Certainly I had no idea I was going over 60 on a 107 doing a mere 270.

I dont think a combination of a 270 and a Katana 107 loaded @ 1.75 is something that should be referred to as "mere", bro :) That's a serious combo you're jumping there, dont get it wrong. dont be surprised at the speed - you may even be able to go faster.

When I first got my alti-track I found I was reaching into the 70's on a regular basis, with 77 as the highest I recorded. That was a 180+270 from about 1000'. I've tamed down the turns a bit and keep it in the 60's now...next set of gear is going to include a speed cypres.
Miami

I know it's fast- it's a riot to fly but demands 100% attention when diving.
Just being humble with deference to the guys on the cutting edge doing big turns on small canopies hitting 100 or more mph.
Bundy hit 94 on his new JVX hybrid the other day out at Perris. Now THAT"S smokin' fast.

As far as my speed, hopefully I can get it faster. I was working with Duane Hall on the turns and it's been getting better, but I can probably eke a little more speed out of the thing without having to downsize.

what kind of instruments are being used to measure decent rates?

i don't want to put a damper on the discussion cause i think it's a good one, but from my experience and talking to others (ie jay mo, bobo, drennan, ect) most of the instruments out there don't accurately give decent rates. it DOES give you a very rough idea, but for example i have averaged 60mph through an entire speed course but my neptune told me that my max decent rate was 58mph. so i guess we'll have to take everything with a grain of salt.

edited to add: i have not tried other alti's so i have no comparison
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

To me, the value lies not so much in the actual speed, but whether or not a different turn yielded a higher result.

If my neptune consistantly reads 55 mph for turn A and I try turn B and it reads 65 mph, then it's a fairly safe assumption that turn B yielded a better result.

Least, that's what I use it for. It'd be nice if it was 100% accurate, but I don't think so.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

This brings up a very valid point. Recall; accuracy describes the nearness of a measurement to the standard or true value. Precision is the degree to which several measurements provide answers very close to each other. So the more important concern is the precision of the instrument; so with a precise instrument we can truly determine if a technique improves or hinders the dive speed. Also does anyone know the operational limitations of the Viso, in regards to decent rate? This type of info should be in the owners manual.

True and quite insightful Greg. However, I would like to expand on your concept.

You see, the ionic plasma produced by a hypervelocity swooper dive can be analyzed to determine compositional information for the original particle by using a time-of-flight mass craptrometer. Such methods have been adopted on interplanetary Uber detectors to perform in-swoop analyses of encountered gates, for example, the Cassini Cosmic Phat Analyser (CPA). In order to more fully understand the data returned by such instruments, it is necessary to study their response to impacts in the laboratory. Accordingly, data are shown here for the mass spectra of ionic plasmas, produced through the acceleration of multi-rotational dives via a 2 MV van de Sphincter accelerator and their impact on a dimensionally correct CPA (remember, the Cosmic Phat Analyser) model with a rhodium target. The microparticle dusts examined have three different chemical compositions: metal (Femur replacement), organic (testicus maximus and intellectualus minimus) and mineral (Taurine and guarana). The advent of new low-density, microcanopies with highly controllable attributes (composition, size) has enabled a number of new investigations, or swoop-particle, in this area. The key is the use of the testicus maximus, either as the particle itself or as a thin overlayer on the organic magnatron, commonly known as the viscous liquid that determines the CPA rating. This conductive coating permits efficient yet unintelligent charging and acceleration. Here, we examine how the projectile's chemical composition influences the ionic plasma produced after the hypervelocity impact. This study thus extends our understanding of impact plasma formation and detection as it relates to velocity and speed.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

what kind of instruments are being used to measure decent rates?

cypres have an instrument that clocks all the data in a turn (very crapometer) maybe but is very accurate, you can down load data from each jump to yr pc. speaking to people i understand its what they use for testing what with the high speed of turns now.
i was told that the pd team doing tests carried 8 cypress 2's each and could get them all to fire on a swoop. (scary thought).

and to add my 2 P i have had a viso since sept 06 and i got 72 mph on that under a velo 90 at 2.13 at perris. 450 harness turn.

and if anyone who reads this sees Bundy at perris tell him that danny called him a scruffy haired hawaian surfing piss head.... :) oh and tell him getting drunk with him every night for 3 months made my trip... true star...
blue skies.....

My Max Reading was 94mph (TAS, VISO) doing a 360 on a Paratec R.A.G.E. 86 @ 2.2.
I´ve got my Viso in June last year and after the first few jumps with it, i send my Cypres 2 back to airtec, to change it to Swoop mode.
Now, on a couple of jumps i logged readings of 86-92 mph for more then 2 sec.
Blues
Frank
provehito in altum

I've had 1 or 2 abnormally high readings. I attribute them to moving my head and, for lack of a better term, changing the burble around the device.

Blues,
Ian

Great thread. Ian's observations are dead on accurate. For the most part, all of the data loggers out there do an OK job at determining speeds. Depending on the brand of device used, the algorithms used to determine the speed may also differ. As was mentioned, the use of a GPS is a very good tool to use for swooping in general. GPS receivers are fairly cheap and can be mounted on the wrist, helmet, leg strap fairly easy. The Foretrex 101/102 is about the size of a Neptune and comes with a wrist strap standard. Combine the GPS data with Paralog and then you can actually see the speeds generated, degree of turn, rate of descent, distance covered either in graph form or in 3 dimensions via the 3d view that uses Google Earth.

Because it provides data for each data point you can "see" exactely data point to data point where you picked up speed or lost speed, etc in your swoop at specific points in the swoop. It can also help you better determine what altitude provides the best overall swoop for you when you compare multiple swoops. If you're into seeing the data behind the swoop, its a good tool to have.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Duriing a series of almost 100 test jumps and while wearing multiple x4 data loggers supplied by airtec (cypres) I was able to reach a top (vertical) speed of 106.2 mph. This was during a 810 deg turn started at 1500ft while jumping a 71 (velo proto) at a wing loading of about 3.5-1.

When jumping a 96 Velo at 2.5-1 starting a 810deg turn at 1500ft I was able to reach a top speed of 90.7 mph.
My average speeds were approx 85mph.

Note: these were the highest speeds recorded during testing and do not reflect anything close to normal speeds reached by average pilots

All jumps were performed at sea level.
Fly-Free...