smkdvr628

how to come out of a swoop

I prefer alive...... so stab those brake thingies.. Why would you ride out a swoop if you know your to low? Do something... :P maybe start with some coaching! :)
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

You want to time the canopy recovery (planing out) as close as possible, but you would use your rear risers to make the small adjustments and change the angle of attack to ride the swoop out further. Using your brakes distorts the canopy and causes a ton of drag (lots of speed loss)

I highly recommend you doing alot more reading on the subject. Brian Germain's The Parachute and its Pilot is an excellent source for learning the fundamental theories behind canopy flight.

You REALLY need to understand a great bit of canopy control methods before trying any high performance landings. It is VERY easy to stall out your canopy with the rear risers.

You want the canopy to recover under it's natural arch you do not want to force it out of a dive as you will lose energy created by your dive. However it is true you can use your rear risers to assist the plane out, this practice is used by experienced pilots and if your profile is correct I would highly urge you not to use this practice or be preforming any type of high performance turn on landing for that matter. At this stage in your canopy piloting skills it is important to get advice from a trusted Canopy flight instructor at a DZ not on the internet. Reading Brian Germain's book is a good start though. Below I have posted a link to a video that demonstrates what can happen to you if you start swooping too early or don't know how to bail out of the corner.
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4323 Be Safe
Shane Murphy
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

I highly recommend that the originator of this thread slow down, not worry about swooping for at least a few hundred more jumps and just get the feel for canopy flight. There is no harm in playing with some swooping techniques up high, but he really should not be bringing it down low to the ground anytime soon. For shits and giggles, if he wants to read Brian Germain's book then go ahead and pick up a copy. It is a good read. But you don't learn to swoop from a book nor do you learn to swoop from asking people on the internet about it. You learn to swoop by spending time under canopy, staying current, flying a wing appropriate to your skill and experience level all preferably under the watch ... call it coaching if you want ... of an experienced, knowledgeable canopy pilot who has a knack for being able to teach canopy control to others.

Swooping rocks. But it is very unforgiving of the errors that we make up there. One of my friends is dead thanks to a swoop gone wrong. RIP Josh ... I'll see you when I get there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

or can you flare to get out of it if you realize you are too close to the ground?

You dont HAVE to. But at best, you better have a good co-pay with your health insurance, or at worse, have already chosen your plot at the cemetery.
Remster

Below I have posted a link to a video that demonstrates what can happen to you if you start swooping too early or don't know how to bail out of the corner.
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4323 Be Safe

Also, there's another video at skydivingmovies.com, in the TV and Movies thread, of Paul Moran's final jump. Paul did not survive, though it took about two months and a raging staph infection, he was never right again a day of his life. I don't usually like to point out or recommend as hard a view as this one, but smkdvr628 needs to see this and ponder that it could as easily be him. Swooping is beautiful, but I think it's easily the most dangerous discipline in our sport, next to BASE maybe. Neither should be attempted without lots of patience, training and care.

I might add that Paul had thousands of jumps to his credit. You only have to make one mistake.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !