phoenixlpr

Atair Radical, has anyone info about it?

I jump a Radical 135, and I love that canopy.

Openings are really nice and soft. It opens better that the cobalt I jumped. I've jumped a cobalt for about 200 jumps also a 135.

Frontriser pressure is light, and it dives nice. It does dive more/harder than the cobalt and it dives longer. I also found that the flare power in this canopy is awesome.

It does have a tendency to oversteer on toggles. Toggle pressure isn't a problem on this canopy. In half brakes it glides really good. Long spots aren't a problem on this canopy.

This canopy is also very easy to pack. At least mine is. The material used on my canopy is no longer made, but the new ZP isn't as slippery as the ZP from PD or Aerodyne.

Hope this helps.

Maybe Stane will chip in? ;) He's got enough work building Trolls. B| I'm pretty sure it's what Unclecharlie is skydiving with right now.

AFAIK, it has an elliptical leading edge, but the trailing edge of the canopy is only tapered, to help with heading performance on opening (and to avoid that funky throwing around and searchy thing you can get sometimes with fully elliptical canopies). Please correct if I'm wrong.

Never tried one myself, but I've only heard good things about it from those that do jump it.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I also own a Radical 105. It's end cells have 3 compartments, but are not X-braced. I also love it, but at first i did not like it because of some heavy duty spanking i got on openings. But, as prooven so many times before, it was due to packing: i left the nose exposed. Now that i push it in to the pack job, it opens really soft. It's flight characteristics are also impressive.

Me likes it B|

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Well karma summed it up.

It's a great swooping machine.

If you love cobalt, you'll love radical twice as much. At least i do, and owned a cobalt competition before it.

Like said already, yes it is sold, but i doubt stane will read this thread. He's too busy designing trolls :)

p.s.:All best things in this world are a secret :P
"George just lucky i guess!"

i left the nose exposed. Now that i push it in to the pack job, it opens really soft.

That's strange, with me it was just the opposite. When I got the canopy I was used to pushing the nose into the center of the packjob. I had some weird and spanking openings. Now that I leave the nose exposed i.e. not pushing it in anymore, I get great sniveling openings. I do however quarter the slider and make sure the slider is in front of the nose.

BTW I had funky opening on my Cobalt when I left the nose exposed and stuffed back in the middle

I have never jumped two cobalts that liked to be packed the same.:D

Oh, and here are a couple pics i took last summer of what i think is the radical;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

That doesn't look like a radical, that looks more like a demon.

The attached pictures are pictures of a radical. Note the construction of the end cells.

fair enough, i know the pilot was calling it a radical at the time. I do know there were some discussions on this site about demons being sewn by Atair or cobalts being sewn by demons or some shit like that. Maybe that is what this is from.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Moffet is stupid:P If you weren't laid up with a broken leg you would have seen the Radical 105 demo I had at SSM --- I flew really nice and had a lot of flare --- and the break lines weren't to short like most cobalts
I am looking at buying one 85ish range to replace my worn out CC85

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Maybe Stane will chip in? ;) He's got enough work building Trolls. B| I'm pretty sure it's what Unclecharlie is skydiving with right now.

AFAIK, it has an elliptical leading edge, but the trailing edge of the canopy is only tapered, to help with heading performance on opening (and to avoid that funky throwing around and searchy thing you can get sometimes with fully elliptical canopies). Please correct if I'm wrong.

Never tried one myself, but I've only heard good things about it from those that do jump it.

An untapered leading edge will reduce the seeking and diving on opening. The tail can be tapered/shaped, but the leading edge is what helps the openings mostly. An example is the original Jedei...completely straight leading edge and very tapered tail...and they could still open crazy...I had a 120, loved it, but it was a wild one

Cheers,
Travis

The material used on my canopy is no longer made, but the new ZP isn't as slippery as the ZP from PD or Aerodyne.

Hope this helps.

Aerodyne uses similar material.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen Aerodyne products made from Gelvenor. The pilot and mamba for example are made of a much slippery kind of ZP.

Edit: Never mind. You're right the new material is probably the same. Never reply before having a cup of coffee. :S

A have a Pilot and a Cobalt. Their material are completely different.

Atair used to use Gelvenor for their canopies. That material is no longer available, so they now use a more slippery kind of ZP. Your Cobalt is made of gelvenor, if you order a Radical now it wil be made of the new material i.e. not gelvenor.