shawnstarr

Old Velo VS. New Velo

Well, this is a slight bit off topic, but between my two velocity 96s, one being HMA about half way through its life and the other being fresh vectran from the factory, here are the differences I've noticed which have been confirmed by an employee of PD and the former owner of the HMA canopy:

1) slightly faster opening with the HMA. Not slamming, just a bit more brisk (at terminal anyway). Of course the slider looks like it has seen better days...

2) a seemingly shorter recovery arc on the HMA.

3) front riser pressure builds up more quickly on HMA in a dive

Both of these canopies were used when I got them, but the HMA one certainly had more jumps and ostensibly had led a harder life. Both had inspections from the factory but as stated before the vectran lines were fresh when I got it.

Also have it be known that I've only put about 100 jumps on each of these canopies, so while I think I have enough experience under them have some scientific backing, I certainly have not jumped them to their very limits to see for certain that these traits I've numbered out are absolute truths. Beware what you read on the internet.

So while this doesn't answer your question, it is more information to further muddy the waters.

when I got mine I was told that it was the identical canopy. At PIA in 2005 I again asked and was told the same. There are 2 slider options though, and I think options on lines. I recall the PD factory team were using the same stock standard Velo's up to not too long ago. That is a testament to the canopy and pilots. Love my velo

Maybe Ian will post something up here. He's pretty sharp on that Velo stuff.

Ive jump a couple different sizes of Velos with both stock, and Joe and Mel's RDS. I wouldnt consider any of the openings bad. Although, when the full RDS is on, I dont like going to terminal.

Hmm... I dont think Ive helped at all here. :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Although, when the full RDS is on, I dont like going to terminal.

Why? There's an Aussie designed & built RDS that's used by several of my mates, and they take it to terminal all the time...

Again slipping off topic.

When its just the slider. I like the openings better. When I hook the bag up also thats when they get a bit more brisk.

Sorry for the drft. I anyone else wants anything else I'd be glad to answer in another thread or via PM.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I had two experiences with old vs. new Velos. The short answer is I don't think there is much difference. If you want details...

The first experience was on 96's. My first 96 was bought used, DOM 08/01, with 500 jumps on it. I jumped it for 325 jumps, putting new lines on it after about 100, and then bought a new one in January '06. The new Velo came with a bigger slider and thus opened slower. It also seemed to lose just a little more altitude during a turn (less than 50 ft) and have just a little more bottom-end flare, but I think that was due to the difference between new and old fabric. Really, the two canopies were very close.

The second experience was on 90s. I had a demo 90 from PD that was DOM '99. I don't know how many jumps were on it, but it had brand spanking new lines. After trying that canopy I bought a new one, DOM 05/06. Those two canopies flew exactly the same.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"