tattoojeff

stupidest student ever?

Student that was complaining about the slider being down and how they were trying to pump the brakes and make it go back up? Same student about chopped since the slider was making weird noises. (I seem to get about 1-2 of those types per year :S)

Looking at my student progression has multiple nominations in it too :$
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

How about the one that as I'm walking them to the door of the Casa to do a tandem they realized that you have to see out the plane to jump. We had to back out since they started freaking on me a little bit (but kept saying they wanted to jump). Thats an experience trying to walk backwards to the tail gate and not tell the student they only have 3 seconds till they back into open air. Once we got out and I got the drogue out the skydive went great.

The tandem that pulled on me at 9k since he misread the alti was a fun one too... He though the 9 was a 6 and he ha to pull at 6000 :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Dont know if this classifies as stupid STUDENTbut when I had about 30 jumps or so still learning about my canopy and packing and all I came into the hanger form a jump and started to flake out my nose when I noticed a big hole in my canopy ..."GOD DAMIT" I shouted!!! One of the J/M came over to see what was wrong.." I dont know how but I just tore my canopy"!!!! "F#CK" as I threw it down all pissed off.... The J/M then piccked it up to look at it and then said "Hey ...you didnt tare it....thats the port holes in the ribs..." "See.. they all have those holes"!!! ...I felt pretty stupid the rest of the day!!:S

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

The tandem that pulled on me at 9k since he misread the alti was a fun one too... He though the 9 was a 6 and he ha to pull at 6000 :S

I saw video of one even better than that.
Tandem exits the Otter at 13.5k, TM throws out the drogue.
As pre discussed, the TM then pats the student on the shoulders, indicating to the student to bring his arms out from his chest. The student glances at the alti and deploys.

I also witnessed another student...around 13 jumps... cutaway a perfectly good canopy. When asked why, he replied, "I don't know, I just panicked."

Stay safe.

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

there's a guy in england who took 180 jumps to graduate from RAPS. He's an old guy who had an in built turn cos of a gammy leg. Bought his own static line kit and the lot.

Saw him doing a 3 way at the weekend.

Not stupid, gallant I'd say to continue to try and master stability so long. Most would give up.

How bout a student that had leg straps slip enough that she couldnt reach the toggles.........so she chopped..........you guessed it, she couldnt reach the toggles on the reserve either......B| she just forgot all about using the risers to guide the canopy and narrowly (by the grace of god) missed taking the wing off a parked plane......

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

This one goes back a couple decades..

We were standing outside the hangar having a smoke when

WHAM!

This white motorcycle helmets smashes to pieces 10 feet from us!

...The staticline student had taken it off and thrown it away,
because he said he couldn't hear the 'emergency radio'
and had asked a question he wasn't hearing a response to!

Well...
He DIDN'T HAVE a radio!
He was trying to 'tune' in the Sentinel AOD! [:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A student once mistook the arch signal (thumbs down) for the pull signal on the first COA on AFF level 1. He dumped at 12k. The main side JM had a handheld radio, and pulled immediately to guide him down. I was shooting video, and rolled over to film the opening, then did a little freeflying with the reserve side JM.

a brit at our dz had a nice freefall. nice opening but then all hell broke lose. He flew his canopy right toward a stand of trees. 1st jump master gave up and handed the radio to someone else. At 100 feet or so he thinks oh no I'm headed for the trees and chops. Darwin missed this one as a tree caught the reserve and he walked away. He did come back and asked to jump again. :P Then went on every tv show and said how unsafe the dz was.

a brit at our dz had a nice freefall. nice opening but then all hell broke lose. He flew his canopy right toward a stand of trees. 1st jump master gave up and handed the radio to someone else. At 100 feet or so he thinks oh no I'm headed for the trees and chops. Darwin missed this one as a tree caught the reserve and he walked away. He did come back and asked to jump again. :P Then went on every tv show and said how unsafe the dz was.

That soooo has to take the prize! :S
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

This one isn't exactly stupid, but entertaining none the less.

A first jump AFF student after an exceptable freefall, deployed. We landed and the other instructor was talking him down. He responded to an initial turn to ensure communication and then quit responding around 1500-2000 feet. The other instructor though maybe the student did not understand his accent and gave me the radio. Still no response. The student passed out and landed off the DZ luckily in an open area otherwise covered with trees, houses, and other obstacles and woke up on landing with no more than a couple of bruises.

The other instructor and I bought beer for that one.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Student that was complaining about the slider being down and how they were trying to pump the brakes and make it go back up?

How about the one that actually chopped it and then when the same thing happened on their reserve, "fought it" all the way to the ground where they proceeded to face plant on the runway and break their legs.

Heh, I saw some TV show ehre they had an AFF student narrate his 'hair raising adventure'.

Come pull time, he messes up and pulls the cutaway handle., just as an instructor pulls for him.

"And then the chute sorta just went away! It isn't supposed to do that, but I was not that troubled"

On the video one can see him spin away like crazy. Eventually the reserve pops out

"Then I got the reserve out [wasn't him that got it out] and everything was fine. Until i was about to land."

Clip showing him heading in from 900 feet straight for the only powerline for miles and miles. Clip ends with him landing in the powerlines and sparks flying.

"I could do nothing to avoid them, they were just there suddenly [never mind he had several minutes to act].

"Yeah, it was exciting, but that's skydiving".

Paraphrasing this whole deal, been a while since I saw it.

Ummmm.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Dont know if this classifies as stupid STUDENTbut when I had about 30 jumps or so still learning about my canopy and packing and all I came into the hanger form a jump and started to flake out my nose when I noticed a big hole in my canopy ..."GOD DAMIT" I shouted!!! One of the J/M came over to see what was wrong.." I dont know how but I just tore my canopy"!!!! "F#CK" as I threw it down all pissed off.... The J/M then piccked it up to look at it and then said "Hey ...you didnt tare it....thats the port holes in the ribs..." "See.. they all have those holes"!!! ...I felt pretty stupid the rest of the day!!:S

jason

I did the same thing! Only my rigger led my on for a while, "OH my god!" he says, "There's another one! Oh shit, another! What the hell did you do!?"

hehehe

B|

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

Whoa,
if you watch the video you can see the instructor try and move the students hand back to the pilot chute but the student resists and grabs the cutaway. I even think the instructor tried to get the student to release the handle but couldn't so he pulled the pilot chute to get the main out of the way and work on getting an open reserve. That is definitely a dumb student.

Max-X kicks arse!!

The video is on, www.skydivingmovies.com under "from TV" and then 4freefall. heh.

"I deployed the chute..."

WHAT??? That segment made it sound like he did things right... idiot pulled the cut-away!!

I noticed that too, but it also made it sound like the jumpmasters did nothing but "watching him go bye-bye." I saw one jumpmaster go all the way down with him, the student's reserve went out, I couldn't tell how it was deployed, but I did notice that the jumpmaster's chute was not out when our hero's chute opened.

That kind of stuff really inspires me, quite frankly. It helps me feel safe with AFF, that no matter what I do or happens, someone is there to try and keep me alive. Cheers to my future AFF instructors! I will do my best not to be stupid.

Bob

ps: if someone knows who that jumpmaster was, PM me and I'll send beer. I was that impressed.
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

yeah they were talking about that video a long time ago in talkback... it pisses me off that the producers made it sound like this schmuck did everything correct, and it was the parachutes/instructors fault that everything bad happened.

I guess he probably gave them the video, and explained it to them that it was all other peoples fault, and the producers never even bothered to check.>:(

MB 3528, RB 1182

i can't believe that guy seriously went on tv to tell this story and its really wrong that tv producers didn't have an instructor there to publicly address his stupidity!

Some people just won't die no matter how hard they try.

My fave is watching him float into power lines with all that open field beside him!
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali