tattoojeff

stupidest student ever?

i got one more.
aff student was so totaly unstable the affI dumped the students main around 7000ish. under a good canopy at around 2000ft this brainchild choped his main, and went to reserve. when asked what the fuck? he said i was told that if i havent pulled by 2500 to got to my reserve. and i never did pull, (the instructor pulled for him) so i went to my reserve.

Know Thy Gear - +/- 1983

A friend of mine on about 50 jumps (all on rounds) decided it was time to try out a more advanced canopy - the Para Commander - which he had heard a lot about.

Got the rig, kitted up, and jumped - we see the PC deploy perfectly - then suddenly he cuts away and deploys his reserve!!

When he got back we asked why he had cut away a perfectly good main - his reply was "When it opened all I could see was holes (modifications) everywhere - I figured something had to be wrong, so I chopped!!:S:S:ph34r:

i got one more.
aff student was so totaly unstable the affI dumped the students main around 7000ish. under a good canopy at around 2000ft this brainchild choped his main, and went to reserve. when asked what the fuck? he said i was told that if i havent pulled by 2500 to got to my reserve. and i never did pull, (the instructor pulled for him) so i went to my reserve.

What a fucking nuggett!!! I cant beleive how thick some people are!!!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

I vote that this guy gets the golf clubs.

How do people this stupid ever reach the age old enough to skydive. Obviously natural selection is not working , it's time to cull the fuckwits :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

What a wanker!!!

So, the chute was "full and round" eh? Seriously, I have never heard of an AFF program using round mains, but the reserve was probably his definition of round too, which is why he didn't turn away from the power lines.

Having said that, I do know of one other person who cut away in freefall, but this guy was experienced enough to know better, he just places waaaaay too much faith in reserves! B| Shambown!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

A couple months back we had the winds shoot up to about 25+ m/h just as people were exiting. In the midst of all this excitement, a guy with about 30 jumps had a cutaway and reserve ride.

His explanation was that when he saw he was backing up and couldn't make the peas, he cut away (from a perfectly good canopy) in order to get down lower and closer to the landing area.

And he swore he was taught to do this.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And the rest of that story is; that particular incident is on "Students at play" video for those who attend the AFF course. The student who hit the power lines; as it turns out is an attorney who sued the AFF/JM (who invented new signals to get him to pull the reserve and took himself down to 1500'.

In court, the JM was found non-negilgent and the attorney lost, so he sued the power company for putting the lines there.

sheesh.

I) Static-line student waited until the edge of the airfield to stick a foot out. He took forever to climb out, then did not let go until I yelled "GO!" for the third time. Under canopy, he turned to face the forest, spent the entire canopy ride facing the forest, then was surprised when he landed in the forest.

2) A female tandem student was doing a reverse arch, so I jammed my heels into the tops of her knees to correct her body position. She took this as a "Pull" signal and deployed us at 11,000 feet.

3) Watched a static-line student cutaway at 400 feet because she "could not get the slider to go back up." Fortunately her reserve opened quickly.

4) While riding in the plane with a Surrey-girl, I asked her if she wanted me to attach the big hook on her right shoulder.
She: "Naw, don't bother."
Me, joking: "So would you like me to throw you out of the airplane and chase you?"
She, seriously : "Sure."

I somehow doubt this student did this out of pure stupidity. It just seems.. well.. too stupid.
I am seeing hints of sarcasm in the student's actions (which then resulted in a stupid/unsafe action).

The student perhaps felt angered that his JM was pessimistic or impatient enough to cut short his fall at 7000 and then reckoned he'd get back with a little "f**k you, I'll deploy my own canopy..", inconveniencing (and perhaps scaring) a few DZ staff by chopping at 2000 and having them recover and repack it all.

If so, it would certainly not be intelligent, safe or justifiable behaviour.. but it does seem an almost more plausible explanation than taking the student's explanation at face value.
:o

I somehow doubt this student did this out of pure stupidity. It just seems.. well.. too stupid.
I am seeing hints of sarcasm in the student's actions (which then resulted in a stupid/unsafe action).

The student perhaps felt angered that his JM was pessimistic or impatient enough to cut short his fall at 7000 and then reckoned he'd get back with a little "f**k you, I'll deploy my own canopy..", inconveniencing (and perhaps scaring) a few DZ staff by chopping at 2000 and having them recover and repack it all.

If so, it would certainly not be intelligent, safe or justifiable behaviour.. but it does seem an almost more plausible explanation than taking the student's explanation at face value.
:o

If he did do that, then he had much greater presence of mind on his first jumps than I did. I was all about - "WHOAA!! WOW!!!! OMG!!!" Of course, I pulled my own rip cord so I don't know if I'd a been pissed or not - probably wouldn't have known it if I had not pulled my own cord!!

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To I somehow doubt this student did this out of pure stupidity. It just seems.. well.. too stupid. __________________________

no way this kid was as pegged out as they come. theres no way he would be heads up enough to do that. not to mention his reserve came out via rsl.

The video is on, www.skydivingmovies.com under "from TV" and then 4freefall. heh.

I just watched this video. How can something like this be shown on TV? How did that numpty wanker sit there and say "I deployed the parachute..." He blatantly pulls the cutaway!!!! Surely this would of been pointed out to him when he landed?? What a wanker! And he didnt stop his darwin award attempt there... he flew straight into power lines!! Even if i'd never seen a parachute before, id be pulling at anything to try and turn the canopy away from them!!

That seriously is the stupidest bloke ive ever seen!

I also saw a Video where the C.E.O. of Virgin Records did the exact same thing during his training before one of his Baloon Flights. At pull time he grabs and pulls the cut away and the JM deploys his chute and the RSL opens his reserve.

Thats stupid enough ( i really couldnt imagine it happening before watching that vid) but i bet he didnt go on TV to make out he did everything right and that it was his equipment to blame!!

Dont know if this classifies as stupid STUDENTbut when I had about 30 jumps or so still learning about my canopy and packing and all I came into the hanger form a jump and started to flake out my nose when I noticed a big hole in my canopy ..."GOD DAMIT" I shouted!!! One of the J/M came over to see what was wrong.." I dont know how but I just tore my canopy"!!!! "F#CK" as I threw it down all pissed off.... The J/M then piccked it up to look at it and then said "Hey ...you didnt tare it....thats the port holes in the ribs..." "See.. they all have those holes"!!! ...I felt pretty stupid the rest of the day!!:S

Been there, done that... about 3 weeks ago with 60 jumps or so. [:/] I even knew about crossports, lol.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yep.

It's unbelieveable, suing the power company for putting a tower 'in the wrong place', what's this world coming to?, like I said on another thread, we need to start from scratch...this is madness.:S

In court, the JM was found non-negilgent and the attorney lost, so he sued the power company for putting the lines there.

Is this true?

Yep.

Seriously? That bloke is a big red bell end!

I'd like to nominate myself. First AFF jump at Skydive Aggieland I was being guided down on radio by Steve. Steve says to make a right, I make a left. Next thing I hear is "YOUR OTHER RIGHT!!" So at this point I'm over a bunch of trees and I'm too low to turn given my lack of experience. I just picked the least intimidating tree and went right for it. When the dust settled I was dangling about a foot off the ground but was able to touch the ground so I climbed out of the rig. Steve comes racing over in the golf cart and gets it stuck in the mud. Once we had gotten the canopy out of the tree, AggieDave comes riding up in his truck and runs over the container, which is sitting on the ground. Then the monsoon starts and everyone gets soaked. All this cause I didn't know my right from my left. And that is the story of how I got the name "Lefty." Btw, I got my A-license last night, so everyone congratulate AggieDave for graduating his first student.

- Lefty
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Here is a pretty damn good one.

Student is technically a novice... just getting off of student status. He makes a jump and has a Cypres fire. He then is convincing enough that it might have actually been a misfire of some type, and after some briefing gets another rig for another jump and... you guessed it, another Cypres fire. He left the DZ that day pissed as hell because they wouldn't rent him another rig to make another jump!

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

The video is on, www.skydivingmovies.com under "from TV" and then 4freefall. heh.

OMG, I know this is not the most original contribution to the discussion, but my GOD that video pissed me off. First the announcer is saying "his instructors watched him go bye bye", then he is saying "my instructor chased after me". Does anyone know what TV network made that? I am going to make it my life mission to yell at the producer of the show and Scott Lutz (the student), world class dumbass.

EDIT: GRBTV.com is the site of the company that owns the rights to the show I think... the guy is a lawyer in San Diego as someone else mentioned. Bleh. I just really hate seeing facts misrepresented on television, especially facts pertaining to something I'm so passionate about. Actions will be taken.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com