wonderwoman07

Canopy Choice/Swooping Advice for low weight jumper

I am suprised nobody mentioned the fact that when you are small, as you load a canopy it has much more efect in its responce(twitchyness) this is covered in Brians book 'the canopy and its pilot' I havn't read it from front to back yet but what i have read was such amazing, useful and well thought out information gathered from his many years and experience.

Have you read it?

My partner is only 50kg (wingloading = 1.28) and that is on a Omega99. she is not into swooping but is a professional freefall photographer and needs the penetration necessary to operate in up to 22 or so knots.

at a 1.3 wing loading the response of a 99 square foot canopy is much more than a canopy of a say 120-150 square foot of the same wingloading.

bear this in mind,

I too agree if you want to further your swooping the next canopy for you is a crossfire or crossfire2. these are different from each other too. i jumped a xfire1 loaded at 1.6 for 800 jumps and it was so wonderful. i could get long swoops on it i could do demos and i even won the (NZ) national classic accuracy competition on it. i could bring it in on deep brakes without it stalling. and drop right onto the centre plate. i got 2 scores of 0.00. the best all round canopy I have ever had.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Hey there, when I last decided to downsize I weighed 135 lbs and I went with a Samurai 105. For that wing loading it is a nice canopy. Its got lots of speed when you go aggressive. If you want to land it straight in it has no problems. It turns nice. All and all a great canopy. Plus once you get to know the canopy and you want it to go faster all you have to do is get a detachable slider for it and have some fun.
I read that someone said a Mamba wouldn't be a bad choice. A buddy of mine got a Mamba 120 and I did a few jumps on it. Well it is nice to fly, ground hunger turns fast, long recovery arc. You need a higher wing loading when it comes time to land. It just doesn't have the bail out if you turn just a little lower than you want. Kind of seemed like landing a big 7 cell. If you do you carve right everytime it does have a nice swoop though.

hey i am so sorry how can i forget brians canopy the Samurai.

it is an awesome canopy although i am comfortable to the crossfires both 1 or 2 series but i love the crossfire 2 better for me.

but the Samurai is a great canopy you can swoop the hell out of it make it back opens great has awesome flare and glide i dont think it dives as fast or hrd as a crossfire

and its an easy cnopy to land.

so yeah try a Samurai!!!!!!!!!!!! i am partial to a crossfire2