NewClearSports

Swoops from 300ft to 665ft

Did the people in the speed course stay inside the course? Than they are fine. If you want more of a carve, make a tighter course.

im not saying they have no skill. Jumper A who pops up might not go as far as jumper b who pops up. Im just saying...what I've already said.

I think we could have killed two birds with one stone with staying inside a distance course.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

That's about as crazy as saying a long jumper has to keep their feet below a 2 foot mark.

It totally defeats the objective of the discipline...to go as far as possible. I'd be pretty disappointed if they point a limit on the techniques we could use to achieve that goal.

Might as well require everyone to wear a wingsuit for speed rounds as well (I'm just poking fun at you here Johnny :D)

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Look, im not saying its not in the rules now.

Im saying, AS A PERSONAL PREFFERENCE, I think popping up sucks. I would rather see distance swooping as a straight and level flight over the ground. Thats me, not you (and not you, Ian). Not wrong or right, opinion. Like my asshole, its mine.

If I had the money to compete, i would not pop up. I just think its cheesy.

Johnny
Mike Rome

i would not pop up. I just think its cheesy.

I am pretty sure people dont do it for the way it looks. I understand that you have your opinion on how distance should be run, I also have some opinions of things i would change but ian is right. its a means to an end not a style. at the end of the day all the recent best distances (the object of the event) have come from this technique.

You are right about that. It is a means to an end.

And by cheesy, I dont mean the way it looks. I think its cheap. I would rather see people go further and further staying on the ground. We might not get as far as fast, but I think its pure swooping.

Johnny
Mike Rome

You are right about that. It is a means to an end.

And by cheesy, I dont mean the way it looks. I think its cheap. I would rather see people go further and further staying on the ground. We might not get as far as fast, but I think its pure swooping.

I agree.

For some reason I always thought swooping was dirt-water-dirt, level flight, etc. When I heard about distance swoop records it was always in this context (in my mind). I was nonplussed the first time I saw video of a distance record.[:/]

" I bet I could get more distance out of my swoop if I could gain altitude after I fly thru the gates..." Well, duh!:P:D:D:D
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

"What about those who have no desire to compete?"

Then they should have no desire to comment on how the events are ran.

Most sports have rules of three kinds:
1) To make it safer for the competitors. The highest you can jump is by diving over the bar, yet that technique is forbidden in a sport where the goal it to jump as high as possible because it is more dangerous.
2) To make it a bit more fair and/or cheaper, like weight rules and the banning of some computer assistance in F1.
3) To make the event more fun for the audience.

Do you think rules of the third kind isn't important? If the audience isn't allowed to comment on how the events are run, how are such rules going to be formulated?

There are those who either do not compete or there are those who do compete. There is no in between if you really get down to it. The ones who compete and run these competitions realize that everyone has an opinion, but for those who chose not to compete and to just critisize your words get really old really quick. For them to hide behind the excuse of I don't have enough money to compete, or I think popping up is not the coolest way to perform distance so I'm not going to compete is pretty freakin lame if you ask me. Either step up to the plate and compete or shut the fuck up unless you have something usefull to say.

The argument of keeping distance competition runs within the verticle limit of the gates will go on untill Lord Slaton changes the rule. I don't forsee him doing that in the future, but what I do see happening is a change in th eactual events. It happened this past summer and I think the competitors who were there had a good time with it. Later in the season before the CPC champs, Lord Slaton mentioned that he might change the speed rounds from a carve to straight. A few people whined, complained and cried like children so If I recall correctly the speed rounds were carved again.

It is my opinion that competitors should have the skill and flexability to handle changes in competition events. If someone can only do distance by keeping it on the dirt, then so be it. Conversly, if Lord Slaton changes the rules 10 minutes before the comp that requires me to stay within the confines of the gates on all planes, then so be it. As long as the rules are applied evenly accross the board then the only problem would be the comfort level of teh copmpetitors.

why are you quoting me john :-P

just kidding you are allowed to say go blow yourself as much as you want...

hey guys the whole long jump thing is mooth....

the whole low and across the ground thing is mooth

now collapsing your Lightning onto the raft at the Ranch Pond Swoop meet...now thats tough...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Competing isnt all about winning.

sure it is, why else would you?

Challenging yourself and improving arent bad goals either.

hahaha, you can't challenge yourself without someone challenging you.:)bring it on, it is a challenge.;)

the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't "bring it on" is if you couldn't.:o
now it is really a challenge!:D

Speaking of mooth, it's Shimmel! blahhhh just kidding Mark. I think I should have gotten the 84...:o I only have two jumps on the JVX yet though, but I'm liking it.

For those of you who are bad mouthing competition, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by going and participating in them. You will learn more in 10 competition jumps than you will in 50 beer line swoops. It is like doing 4-way with Airspeed. If you do 5 jumps with them you learn a lot. If you do 100 jumps with a license holders you learn how to chase people who backslide. Think about what you would rather do.

Competing isnt all about winning. Challenging yourself and improving arent bad goals either.

I agree with you. Sure, I'd like to win, but I've yet to go to a competition where I wasn't challenged or didn't learn something. IMO the journey is more valuable than the destination.

Blues,
Ian

I would like to see a competition where you win too, but I'm not holding my breath... :D:D:ph34r:

Feel tha burn!

In all actuallity, Ian is probably one of the best swoopers I have ever witnessed. I am proud to know him and to have competed against him in the past. He deffinatly doesn't bring it weak, and he can tell you more about the Velocity than a lot of people care to know about that canopy. Do you know how Ian has gained this pleathura of knowledge? By going out there and risking coming in last. I'm sure he has had better comps than others, but sometimes if you are going to go for the glory you need to be willing to pay the price.

I'ld love to win too. Thats why I plan on lying to Jeffro about the dates of Pond Swoop from now on.

3 years of Pond Swooping for me and 3 years of impovement. Who knows what'll happe next year.

Keep your calander open.

Johnny
Mike Rome

Thats why I plan on lying to Jeffro about the dates of Pond Swoop from now on.

Yeah, that mofo is the smoothest, sickest pilot I've ever seen on water. It's a true pleasure watching him......now tell him it's going to happen in Feb this year :D:D:D

Keep your calander open.

I will do my best. I've had to miss the last 2 years because of scheduling conflicts. Maybe I'll be a little luckier in 2007 :)
Blues bro,
Ian

I have seen dudes in the swooping thing to just win and get their pro card. That was their only goal. Now that they have it, I'm sure that their life is just empty, and they have to take up other things like RC cars and stuff.

There has to be a limited progression ptherwise you just burn yourself out or get hurt badly in the process.

Competing isnt all about winning. Challenging yourself and improving arent bad goals either.

I agree with you. Sure, I'd like to win, but I've yet to go to a competition where I wasn't challenged or didn't learn something. IMO the journey is more valuable than the destination.

Blues,
Ian

you always say the things im thinking, yet you say it "PC" style... what would I do without you?:P

will you be at the farm this weekend? I have a little somthin I would like to chat with you about.

[...] The highest you can jump is by diving over the bar, yet that technique is forbidden in a sport where the goal it to jump as high as possible because it is more dangerous.

I'm curious to know where you got that from? I used to high-jump in high school (it now seems impossible to me that I once cleared 5'10") and I've never heard about any such rule. The diving with your back So a quick googling gave me:

HIGH JUMP RULES:
- You must take off from one foot
- You must not touch the ground or landing area beyond the uprights without first clearing the bar
- If the bar falls off before you leave the mat it is a failure
- You are eliminated after three consecutive failures

or

HIGH JUMP RULES ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA

"However it would be a solitary innovator at Oregon State University, Dick Fosbury, who would bring the high jump into the next century. Taking advantage of the raised, softer landing areas by then in use, Fosbury added a new twist to the outmoded Eastern Cut-off. He directed himself over the bar head and shoulders first sliding over on his back and landing in a fashion which would likely have broken his neck in the old sawdust landing pits. After he used this Fosbury flop to win the 1968 Olympic gold medal, the technique began to spread around the world, and soon floppers were dominating international high jump competitions."

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

[...] The highest you can jump is by diving over the bar, yet that technique is forbidden in a sport where the goal it to jump as high as possible because it is more dangerous.

I'm curious to know where you got that from?

It was just some rule our high school teacher talked about. I've never competed in it and never questioned it, so I never bothered to look up the rules.

I should stick to the F1 rules in my examples... :$

Technically "diving" over the bar as most people mean it involves taking off with two feet, which is why it is illegal. There was reports that a chinese gymnast cleared 8 feet by doing back handsprings up to the bar and then flipping over, but that involves a two foot takeoff to therefore is illegal. Dont really understand what would be any more dangerous about diving over the bar though. Sorry to hijack this thread again but I kind of had to, what do you think hjumper stands for ;)