Elisha

Swoop Distances by Wingloading

the only time I measured I got 210ft. 1.5 at the time... x-fire

leaving for lompoc on friday. are you going to be there?

I won't be driving down until Christmas morning (to Goleta)...and then I may be getting a ride with Evelyn to Eloy from 12/26 to 12/29. If I don't go to Eloy though, going to Lompoc is certainly a possibilty from after Christmas to New Year's.

Wing loading in all actuallity only plays a small part in swoop distances. There are many more variables to take into account:

1. Wind Speed and direction (down wind, cross, and into the wind) has quite a bit of say in your distances.

2. Amount of turn. The longer you turn th longer you will be building up speed. Most people probably come no where close to canopy terminal.

3. Power applied to the turn. If you just do a weak one front turn then you are going to get less out of it.

4. Turn technique. If you are using risers the whole way then you are introducing drag with the actual riser input. A harness turn doesn't introduce the drag of a front riser turn.

5. Density altitude / Field elevation. We get some pretty long swoops up here in Colorado because the air is thinner. It allows us to go a little faster. The hotter it gets here the faster we go. The faster we go the more ground we cover in distances.

6. Line type and canopy configuration. RDS and technorra, will allow a canopy to go faster thus more distances.

7. Body position / Jump suite type. Body position and jumpsuits really play a huge factor in canopy speed.

So just like a scrotum, here it is in a nutshell:
There are many more facets to distance than wing loading.

2.2 loading on a velo 103 = 407'

I'm sure I have gone further, but that is the farthest I have gone in competition that I know of.

2.2 loading on a velo 103 = 407'

I'm sure I have gone further, but that is the farthest I have gone in competition that I know of.

Only 407 on a 2.2WL Velo? You sure do NOT rule the world! :P

Of course, I have no idea if I will ever even fly a crossbrace for that matter....I just know that I could probably fit one in my new container I just ordered...as if it will go in any time soon though.

Only 407 on a 2.2WL Velo? You sure do NOT rule the world!

I remember when 400 feet was considered a long swoop. It wasn't all that long ago.

What do you mean was...400 still is a very long swoop. Consistent runs at 400 would still likely win the distance event at a meet pretty much anywhere other than in Colorado (or some other 5000 ft DZ).

Canuck

What do you mean was...400 still is a very long swoop. Consistent runs at 400 would still likely win the distance event at a meet pretty much anywhere other than in Colorado (or some other 5000 ft DZ).

Correct. Sure there are the odd runs that range from 450 to the 600+ (unofficially) foot range but they aren't common. In my experience most good competition runs (at sea level) range from 300-400 feet.

However, that said, as techniques and training improve I expect to see that number come up to the high 300's on todays parachutes for an average.

With the next generation of wings....well, that's anybody's guess :)
Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Consistent runs at 400 would still likely win the distance event at a meet pretty much anywhere other than in Colorado

True. A competitor would definitely fair well if they got three 400 hundred footers ... even in Colorado.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over