dharma1976

Post your Hot Swoop X-Rays

Personally, I'm finding a lot of the medical costs very interesting. They add up fast!

I don't have the itemized list, but a few years ago I put myself in the corner, and consequently the ER for 6 or 7 hours, to the tune of just over $6,000. Limped out with a torn miniscus in both knees, sublexed shoulder, and a broken rib. Not the worst of injuries, all things considered.

Cost doesn't include follow up MRI, doctors visits to drain fluid from my knees, or upcoming surgery to repair my shoulder. I have no idea how much that's gonna cost, but I'm sure it won't be cheap.... :(

Financially it only cost me about $300; thanks to good insurance. Unfortunately I've had to give up alot of other things I enjoyed in life as a result of the injuries. I used to be big into rock climbing (lead climbing), but with a shoulder that periodically dislocates itself, I've had to hang that up. I used to play alot of extracuricular sports, but now I can barely throw a football or softball, and running more than a few miles has the knees aching for days. Doctor says surgery will improve my shoulder, but it'll never be 100%. My knees can't be fixed. [:/]

Lots of lessons learned, but nothing that hasn't already been mentioned (repeatedly) in this forum.

J
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

This weekend, doing a distance run at Palatka. Clean run, popped up a little higher than I'd have preferred. Normally I put my feet out in front of me to take the initial impact before sliding on my ass (like most distance runs). Right foot caught on the ground, not sure if it was bump or the shoes just caught more traction than normal, but it resulted in me rolling over my leg and breaking it in 2 places.

Will post the ambulance and emergency costs when I know them. Still unknown if surgery will be required (will know this week). Also will link to the vid when I get it.

2007 is off to a stellar start [:/]
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Damn, that sucks Ian. However, i do have a walking boot that i will send you. All you have to do is pass it on to someone else when you are done with it. Let me know if you want it.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I was also training with Ian yesterday when this happened, and happened to catch the distance run and the break on video. It's amazing how bizzarre it all happened, because he had shut down most of the fwd speed and did not come down hard at all. The heel and foot just happened to catch the ground as he was still moving forward. His body's momentum carried him fwd while his lower leg stayed anchored to the ground.:( :S

I don't know of another pilot that takes such a methodical approach to swooping and training and it's just further evidence that this is something that can definitely happen to any of us out there.

Ian, I'm definitely looking fwd to swooping with you again. Heal fast brother!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

i had a weird injury on the weekend also.. after a very nice swoop had a bit to much speed than would have liked so did the same thing as ian feet first then slid on my arse just as i was going to my arse i was passing a nylon X that is pinned to the ground. the edge of it came in contact with my finger and severed it half way off.

So a paper cut on landing lol.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Did it hurt? Good thing you had the little break to take your mind off the bigger one. Pain is just weakness leaving the body yanno.

Get well soon, you should have enough time to make all 2 of the PST meets. Hope to see you then.

Frida says Hi and, "...that sucks."

I hear you there, insurance really is a must in this sport. Just watching your video, the landing looks normal, nothing radical, or fast but yet a double fracture, just like that. Makes you want to say, "how did that happen?" I'll bet it was more of a surprise that it happened, than when it actually happened. Well, maybe for a brief moment anyway.

I would have been crying for my mama.

Well, saw the DR and got the confirmation today. Surgery on monday with a rod going through the bone. 3 months till I can jump again but should be as good as new when it's all healed up.

Ian

man...

see why did I have to go do soft tissue....

damn bulging discs...

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

The sound of my medical bills rising :)
Ian

I agree. My out of pocket will be around $2K. Haven't received all the costs yet, but should be around $30K. Mine wasn't swooping, just brain lock.[:/] It's true by my experience, stupid did hurt.B|

Heal fast.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Ok, here are mine B|

The Landing.
It was a zone accuracy round. The landing was with the wind which was variable between 2kts and 4kts with occaisional gusts a little higher. I got the entry gates and all the bonus gates. I came to the landing zone with a bit too much speed and stalled the canopy just before landing. Where I hit the sand there was a slight depression from a previous landing that stopped all forward motion instantly. That is when I felt the horrific pain in my back. The competition was immeadiatly stopped and the paramedics were called.

The Injuries.
I trashed the 12th vertebrae in the thorax. In the attached picture called „bone“ you can see where part of the vertebrae tried to enter my spinal cord. The doctor said looking at that I was extremely lucky that I still could walk and pee.

The Operations.
I had two operations to sort out the mess. The first one was to and the support pins you see in the pictures „supportFront“ and „support side“. The second one was to make a bone graft from my hip to reconstruct the vertebrae and add additional support plates you can see in the picture „secondOP“.
I spent 6 weeks in hospital before being allowed home early at my request. I was 400 miles from home.

The Rest.
I have not jumped since the accident which was on the 1st of July 2006. I hope to start jumping again in April or May. The financial costs were all covered by my insurance.

The Video
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Ok, so I got my first set of bills. I have yet to receive the bills from the ER ride but the surgery stuff came in at 15000. Thank god for medical.

Ok, so question for those of you with titanium rods. Did you keep them in? For those who had them removed, was the surgery to remove them as traumatic (same recovery times and pains, etc) as putting them in or were your recoveries faster?

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

My rods are stainless. My orthopedic surgeon says that they will be left in, being either stainless or titanium. He says the reason is because they hurt nothing and He doesn't like doing what he feels is an unneccesary surgury. I had a friend have his removed he said it was not a big deal.