JohnnyZ

Ways to modify dive loops...

I ran a search, but wasn't able to find what I'm looking for.
I was wanting to find out what ways I can improve my dive loops.
As many of you have experienced, dive loops tend to get more plyable and want to lay flat after a couple hundred jumps.
What are the best ways to stiffen up the loops so that they are consistantly in an easy to grab position without making them too bulky for regular use. I've seen the "wedges" some canopy pilots use, but I'm not crazy about those.

Thanks...
John Z.:|

I use a little trick Scott Miller showed me. I fold the dive loops the opposite way when I pack them. For instance, if the lay flat toward the 3 ring the way mine want to I fold them up and make them stay there as I stow the risers. Once trained like that they pop out from the riser under canopy and are very easy to grab. He said they may get used to laying in the new position and I may need to fold them the other way for a while but that hasn't happened yet. I have been doing it about 400 jumps or so.

Oh, and its free.;)
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

That's another reason why I special ordered my risers with dive loops out to the side made out of Type4. Similar design to the Wings dive loops, but up a little higher on the riser and made out of stronger material.

Beyond that, I'm sure a rigger could add some Type 17 or Type 4 to your existing dive loops. Take that chunk of material and put a few lenthwise zig-zags in it and it'll be a little stiffer. Have I seen it done before? Nope. Could it be done? Sure, I bet. At that point, though, you have to ask yourself how many jumps are on your risers and if you should just go ahead and buy new ones. If you buy new ones, ask the manufacture to make the dive loops double thickness, or whatever else you would like on your risers. Then you get exactly what you want easily and for not that much extra (if any) coin.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sunpath have a pretty cool method of reinforcing their dive loops. I don't know enough about rigging to describe them properly and there's not a huge amount of information on the Sunpath website - just a shot in the rotating image at the top of the page.

I use ledges and like 'em.

edit: you might find some interesting opinions in the Gear & Rigging forum. Lots of experienced HC folk hang out there...

I picked up a modification from Jay Moledzki that I really like. It's basically what Sun Path does on their 'easy grip' loops but better. Take a piece of 1" square weave (the stuff toggles are made of) and sew it all the way around the outside of the dive loop. Then fill the channel inbetween the loop and the square weave with pices of bungee cord. Sun Path puts like 4 pieces of bungee cord into the channel; I stuff it with seven or eight. The result is the loops hold themselves open, plus the bungee cord pads things a bit and gives you a more comfortable grip. It's the best solution I've found.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

Free, easy and quick methods that you can do yourself are always best in my book :)

Take the free portion of the dive loop, roll it or fold it and tape with 2 thin pieces of gaffer's tape 5-6 inches long at the top and bottom of the loop. Middle will stay flat and fold in place when packed, but when deployed the loops will be free and easy to find and grab without looking.

I will post a few pics later if the description was not clear enough.

Similar to that, mine have one end unpicked at the top then re-attached to a ring that is itself attached to the slink.

Easier to grab, and easier to pull down. :)

i don't get the whole easier to grab, easier to pull down thing. I don't see a problem with regular riser dive loops. also maybe because I (usually) turn from full flight (on the risers already)...

edit: I fold the loop differently on each pack job - that seems to make them open nicely.

rm

Here is UPT's (Vector) answer to the question. We call it the Louie Loop riser. It's got an over the top dive loop with a stiffener.

Mark Klingelhoefer

How difficult is it to get the slider over that loop? I can see how that would be a great idea for those with RDS

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

How difficult is it to get the slider over that loop? I can see how that would be a great idea for those with RDS

Team Mandrin has them and I see them land with their sliders behind their heads all the time. I haven't heard any negative comments from the team about them either so I assume it's not too hard to pull down.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Here is UPT's (Vector) answer to the question. We call it the Louie Loop riser. It's got an over the top dive loop with a stiffener.

Mark Klingelhoefer

I like the looks of that... Simple and effective. I might have to drop some money on a pair of those.