Peej

Swooping by beeps

My post was not directed at you, dharma1976. Yours was just the bottom post in the thread. The "pussy" reference was for the benefit of the genius who made the following comment:

How about not being a pussy and needing help to look at the ground?

My post was not directed at you, dharma1976. Yours was just the bottom post in the thread. The "pussy" reference was for the benefit of the genius who made the following comment:

How about not being a pussy and needing help to look at the ground?

suweet!

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Advice - fuk the alti - use your eyes as your alti.

Edited to add:

"(I'm just as guilty of this as the next person)... arguing on the net"

Canuck - never got to know you very well at mile-hi as I was at the tail end (bwahahaha) of my jumping career, but you have been a gentlemen and a scholar both there and here online. Folks could take a lesson from you in humility on the net. Listen to what Canuck says.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Listen to what Canuck says

Maybe when it comes to some topics, but definitely not when it comes to others. Sometimes I think I'm losing it as I age. I can still recognize it now while there's still some semblance of normalcy. But I'm probably going to be some Alzheimer’s nut cases chasing birds in the park if I live that long. ;)

Advice - fuk the alti - use your eyes as your alti.

Use what ever tools you think you need to make your job easier. The eyes are just one of must have tools that need to be developed early in one's swooping career. I liked Dan Raymond's analogy when he spoke of depth perception at a familar DZ versus a new DZ (a big reason why it's a good idea to use some sort of digital alti).

never got to know you very well at mile-hi

I don't recall seeing you there at all the summer of '05 (the summer I took off and jumped 7 days a week ... dang I spent a lot of $$$ that summer) and I think the previous summer where you might have been there, I was fighting a stress-fracture injury in a shin and was jumping the bridge in ID more than skydiving since my big BASE canopy offered a softer landing on the leg than the swooping canopy would.

I plan on visiting CO more in the future and who knows maybe even try another gig living there. Time will tell. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

tangent: What about bail by beeps?

Could a ditter type gadget be invented that if you turn too low too fast gives a warning – maybe similar to a GWPS “pull up – terrain”. Similarly, another constant "friendly reminder" tone could sound when you are under a safe height to perform your turn.

In the future I will swoop by a modified GPS navman - put all my setup points in, height of turn initiation, checkpoints, application of rear risers and toggles. It could measure temperature, humidity & airpresure and adjust the turn height accordingly. The next version will include some servos; So I wouldn’t even need to touch the controls. Phase three will have a 80Kg weight which will be autonomous – just SMS it the landing profile: GO BIG 270. Given a webcam there is no need to even visit the dropzone. Welcome to the scary future :S
Blue Dreams Benno